No volume comtrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1n9k00p4

No volume control

The volume control icon is missing from the taskbar, and when i open the sounds and audio devices properties and click "place volume icon in the taskbar" it says "Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the volume contrl program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove programs in control panel".

I cant find anything in Add/Remove programs about volume control, i searched the internet for the volume control download but couldnt find it. I also tried reinstalling my sound drivers and software, but it still doesnt show.

Does anybody know how to install the volume control? I dont want to use 3rd party software like Zvolume control, i want the windows volume control.

thanks.

This is an idea from Mr William Gates of Redmond HERE

1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting automatically.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
4. Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root is the path and folder name where the Windows system files are located (generally C:\Windows):
CD-ROM drive:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe

Note that there is a space between "ex_" and "system_root" in this command.

For example, if your computer's CD-ROM drive is drive E, and the folder that contains the Windows system files is C:\Windows, type the following lines at the command prompt (pressing ENTER after each line):
e:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe
5. Type exit to quit the command prompt.
6. Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon is displayed in the notification area (if you selected this option).

DId it, the files expanded correctley from the Windows XP CD but allas, the volume controll still wont appear in the taskbar even after a restart. I can however acces the volume control application from C:/Windows/System32.

but it does not show in the taskbar or under Start > All Programs etc.

Any more ideas??

k1n9k00p4 said:
I can however acces the volume control application from C:/Windows/System32.
Can you right click on sndvol.exe and send a shortcut to desktop,then drag it to taskbar ?

There are some ideas HERE

Random quote -

"1) I used the Ostuni method, utilising the GRC "unpnp" tool recommended by Drystan Brod. This brought back the "loudspeaker" sound icon and a few others."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back