Nokia announces Here maps for Samsung's Galaxy-brand smartphones and Tizen-powered devices

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Nokia has announced a licensing agreement with Samsung that will see the Finland-based company's Here maps launch exclusively and at no cost for Galaxy-branded smartphones as well as Tizen-powered devices, including the newly-announced Samsung Gear S

Just like its Windows counterpart, the Android app will work even without an Internet connection, allowing you to browse, search, and navigate even if you are offline. As with Google Maps, when you search for a place, Here will give you the option to drive, walk, or take public transport to get there.

samsung galaxy galaxy android nokia samsung smartphone tizen app exclusive here maps gear s

Should you choose to drive, the app lets you exclude toll roads and gives you up to 3 different route alternatives. In addition, if you're online, you can enjoy some advanced features like live traffic and real-time transit schedules.

The other prominent feature is the integration with Glympse, the app that lets you share your location in real time with people you trust. Users can tap the green icon that represents their location and they'll be given the option to share their location via Glympse.

samsung galaxy galaxy android nokia samsung smartphone tizen app exclusive here maps gear s

The person with whom you've shared your location will receive an email or text message, and will be able to track your progress in real time on a Here map.

The Android app, which is still in beta, also works with Samsung Car Mode, another exclusive app for Galaxy smartphones specifically designed for in-car use.

On Samsung Gear S, Here powers an application called Navigator, which lets you see your location on a map, select your destination, get turn-by-turn walk navigation and public transit directions, and more.

nokia samsung galaxy-brand tizen-powered galaxy android smartphone tizen app exclusive here maps gear s

That said, Nokia says you'll get the best out of Here for Gear if you pair your wearable with a compatible smartphone, like the Galaxy S5.

Here maps cover 200 countries, while turn-by-turn walk or drive guidance is available in almost 100 of those. As for availability, Nokia says both Here for Gear and Here for Galaxy smartphones will be available when the Samsung Gear S arrives in stores.

Permalink to story.

Yay, I can't wait to get this for my Note 3. Have been using Here on my Lumia 520 and it is awesome especially since you can download maps (all of them if you want) and use it offline.

Now I can get me a samsung smart phone and say bye bye to my faithful N8. Gr8 maps.

Back