Nokia Lumia 920 Review: Can the WP8 flagship convert iPhone/Android lovers?

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/624-nokia-lumia-920/]https://www.techspot.com/review/624-nokia-lumia-920/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

The first time I held a lumia 900 in my hands, I was INSTANTLY converted. It wasn't perfect yet, but I could tell it was headed the "right direction" like no other phone platform was. Apple is old news, and android was following apples footsteps. This was awesome, now a lumia 920 owner, I've never regretted owning and using the most innovative and sleek looking Super-Phone on the planet.

If mark cuban's to be followed, then yes. :)

nokia needs to address the different spectrum of smartphone from the high-end to the low-end/budget.

a low-cost android smartphone is priced competitively at ~120$ while a nokia smartphone is >150$.

marketing should also be agressive...
two of my siblings bought ipads because they are virus-free and perfect for web-surfing, facebook/angry birds gaming...
one sibling bought an iphone coupled with a company-issued htc one x (don't know which variant)

IOS and android need to figure something out. I believe that user are going to switch just out of boredom when the windows 8 store gets on its feet. I have been using ios for almost 6 years and it still looks the same. Apple is just riding the money roller coaster and no longer has the creativity. I really hope windows 8 takes off. It looks so much better and customizable.

It converted me from my galaxy s2. it has everything I need and managing my stuff great. its the user interface for a phone.

I can't argue with the current app situation, but in many cases there are 3rd party alternatives, which should be mentioned in the review. There are solid 3rd party options for both dropbox and pandora, for example. The pandora 3rd party apps are better in some sense, as they don't have any video/audio ads.

I think you also should have touched somewhat on the gaming and xbox.

The app issue is a deal breaker, but once that get's fixed it then this phone could be the best on the market.

I went to a Iphone store tonight it was pretty busy, my brother in law bought a iphone 5. I showed him my lumia 920 before hand, but he said baa baaa and wanted a iphone 5. No lie he put one of those big a$$ otter boxes on the phone, I cracked a smile, its now flipping huge and weights more then my 920. I played it cool not to make fun. Next we were off to a birthday party where every shot I took schooled his phone I didn't say nothing though the facebook pictures we both post, well he might take my advice next time or not jump the gun so fast. Also want to add my 920 took a bad spill off the kitchen counter this morning screen first, my GS2 took the same fall a year ago shattering the screen so I was like Fuu, after examining the phone not a scratch.

What was not covered in the article (and others) is WP8's keyboard. It predicts what you might be typing and makes remarkably accurate suggestions. Often times, I just need to type a few keys to get a full sentence done. My Android phone (2.1) and tablet (4.02) don't do that.

Battery wise, I easily get 1.5 - 2 days, especially after the patch I received earlier this week. Once (earlier today), the battery still drained fast and the phone felt warm to the touch; I suspect it's Skype's doing. Most of the time though, it's super efficient. For instance, it has used 5% of the battery (yep, 95% remained!) since I unplugged it 9 hours ago. That, is pretty dang sweet in my book.

Before I sound like a fan boy (probably am), I do experience a well-known faulty LED flash, which need a hard push on the back for it to come back on. I am going to bring it to the store for an exchange.

And I do wish it's easier to access some settings by swiping down like my Android phone. Perhaps that will be added later. No a deal breaker by any means.

As far as app store goes, literally hundreds of apps are being added daily. It's just a matter of months before most commonly used apps are on WP8. No a big problem IMO.

App loading times issues are probably with third party apps as they may not have optimized older apps for WP8's memory optimization improvements.

I've been hoping for a long time that someone will rather do an objective/detailed writeup on 'quality' of apps available in each store, but somehow, no one bothers with it, we always end up with rather non-nonsensical approach of number apps. It is just like saying 'having a huge pile of sh**' is a good thing, but it is not (case in point lots of crappy apps in Play store).

I've had my 920 since it was released and I really like it. I was bored with my iPhones and while I liked my Galaxy S3, I just like the windows platform better than Android. I also have a MS Surface Tablet and Win8 on my desktop. The three really work well together with SkyDrive and Office365. And OneNote is indispensable for me as I use it in business everyday.
The 920 is a little big but I'm used to it now. I don't use a case on it and let me tell you it is slippery when you set it face down on just about any surface it will slide off if there is even the slightest angle to it. I think it's due to the curved glass on the screen.
The lack of apps doen't bother me as I never really used many anyway and any that I DO use are there for me. If youre bored with the iPhone and want a change I highly recommend you give the 920 a try. My wife (a diehard iOS fan) converted from her iPhone/iPad to the 920/Surface and likes them much better and said she will never go back.

It converted me from my galaxy s2. it has everything I need and managing my stuff great. its the user interface for a phone.

This. Only had my 920 since Christmas Eve so still getting used to it while continuing to use my Galaxy S2 until the contract expires in January. Have to say that it has exceeded my expectations and I haven't yet found a serious shortfall in the Apps available from the Store. OK, I'm probably not the greatest user of Apps - my needs are relatively simple. But the quality seems high on those I do use and there is a consistency of UI and approach that is often missing on Android apps, but which I find stifling on iOS

I personally believe this is the best device on the market. I will admit Apple manufactures quality products. And Android develops incredible software. However, Apple spends a lot of money in advertising, passing the cost on to the customer. Nokia manufactured a better device with cheaper price. This device has best user-friendly database with a lot customizing options. I was skeptical at first almost trying to find things that I didn't like about it, but I find myself having a hard time putting it down ( I.e. lasting battery). They're a lot more options to choose from causing me to be constantly looking for new ways to customize everything the way I like it. I integrated my XBOX account allowing me to play free and cheap XBOX LIVE approved games with achievements. Facebook is made easier, I don't even need to download the app, from the Live Tile labeled "ME"(with my picture) I can update my status pics, browse news feed, seamlessly scroll through friends pics. Like I said, this device makes Apps that you had to download before unnecessary. Unfortunetly it's been having a slow take off, based on bad articles of so-called "testers."(Biased Reviews) I got the High Gloss Red Lumia 920 and it stands out like a brand new car.

Back