Not a computer question

circusboy01

Hope that's O.K. I figure if you guys are smart about computers. It stands to reason that your smart about other things too.
I see commercials on TV talking about Paddle Shifters. What are Paddle Shifters? I know they are a different way to shift your cars transmission. But I don't think they would replace the gears.would they?

First seen on formula-1 cars, paddle shifter is a pair of 'paddles', one left, other right, used to shift the transmission. As F1 transmission are sequential (ie move thru the sequence one at a time w/o skipping any), a paddle shift system makes sense. Pull on one side to up-shift, pull on the other to down-shift.

First seen on formula-1 cars, paddle shifter is a pair of 'paddles', one left, other right, used to shift the transmission. As F1 transmission are sequential (ie move thru the sequence one at a time w/o skipping any), a paddle shift system makes sense. Pull on one side to up-shift, pull on the other to down-shift.

Thanks. I wonder. If they are made for formula 1 cars. Does a normal passenger car really need them. Other than for a selling gimmick?

For a normal passenger car, if you don't want the hassle of manually shifting gears, get an automatic. These things are made for speed shifting, not something that is needed for general use.

Back