Not your average black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya guys, Joined on to this forum as it looked the most helpful.
Right, I have an issue, I recently got home from work today and finished doing a disk clean up, I then rebooted my computer and whilst it was rebooting I walked away from it, so if any error messages showed up I would have missed them. When I returned to my computer it appeared to be stuck on a black screen with an enlarged cursor. So I thought okay...Ill just restart the computer. Restarted the computer and after the VERY FIRST load screen with the white writting on the left it goes into a black screen with an enlarged cursor.
Now ive tried turning the computer on and off and pulling the wires out etc but that isnt helping at all. Ive scowered google for a solution but they seem to be able to get to the windows load screen, And I cant. Im not computer literate which doesnt help either. So if anyone is patient enough and could possibly help me out with this situation That would be great. Im using windows XP.

Cheers.

Hey Daemon64

Try pressing F8 repeatedly on start-up and then try logging into Safe Mode by choosing the option from the menu that shows up. If you're able to get into Safe Mode, try doing a System Restore to a point before you did the disk cleanup. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

If you can't get into Safe Mode, you might wanna try putting in your Windows XP CD and doing a Repair by pressing "R" when prompted on the Install Menu.

Let us know how it goes. If it doesn't work, we'll have to try something else :)

Spyder_1386 :)

Hi spyder, thank you for replying to my thread.
I have tried your suggested solution but it didnt work :( The black screen appears as usual with the enlarged cursor.
Somethings I noticed when It is on the black screen though :

1. responds to keyboard : ctrl alt dlt = Restarts comp and Pause/Break = turn off.
2. Moving my mouse makes the cursor disappear, though when I move my mouse via Wacom tablet + pen the cursor does not disappear.

The black screen shows up STRAIGHT after the firstBoot up screen which tells you information about your computer? not quite sure what the screen is called.

Hi again Daemon64

Did you in fact try the suggested solution of the repair by using your Windows install disc?

At this point I'm not really sure as to what the actual issue is. I've so far only imagined it to be a hard drive problem. I'm wondering if it's possible that your video card might be causing it? Since the computer POSTs (Power on Self Test), I don't think it's a motherboard issue and your power supply seems fine.

Do you have another computer that you could plug the Hard Drive into and back up your files? An external casing would do as well as you could then just plug it into the computer you're using to connect to the internet.

Spyder_1386 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back