Notepad, Paint, and WordPad to become optional features in Windows 10

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: There are some programs that have been part of Windows for decades, such as Notepad, Paint, and WordPad. While useful for quick tasks, they can’t be removed from the operating system, but that’s going to change in an upcoming update.

Notepad and Paint have been installed by Windows automatically since version 1.0 of the operating system launched in 1985. WordPad, meanwhile, has been installed automatically since 1995 with the launch of Windows 95.

Microsoft has made the programs optional in Windows 10 Insider Build 19551; they can be uninstalled via the ‘Optional features’ control panel. According to Windows Latest, Paint and WordPad are set to become optional features in the Windows 10 20H1 build, also known as version 2004, which is expected to arrive in April or May.

Once Notepad, Paint, and WordPad have been uninstalled via the menu, a system reboot is required, after which the apps will be wiped and won’t appear in the Start menu search. While the three programs take up less than 20MB combined, being able to remove them should make it easier to install alternatives such as NotePad2, NotePad++, and Paint.NET.

Although Microsoft is making the programs optional, it’s not a sign that they’ll be removed completely in a future update. Back in 2017, Microsoft said it would drop Paint from Windows, moving it to the Windows Store as a free download, but the company last year announced that the program would remain part of Windows 10 “for now.”

Permalink to story.

I guess it's a start at least. Now if they can apply that to most programs and apps that would be great. It would be great if you could install Win10 without any of the useless shite.
^ This x1000. The first thing that gets put on a fresh Windows install for me is Notepad++, VLC, ImageGlass, Classic Start Menu, Winamp / Winyl, Q-Dir, 7zip, Paint.NET, etc. I don't even find Windows usable with MS-only applications. And that was before the W10-era of full-on junkification with Candy Crush / W10 Solitaire (that because of the ads is an actual downgrade vs Solitaire for Windows 3.0 that was written for free 32 years ago by a bored intern...)

It's a welcome change but I see no point in uninstalling them - find Notepad pretty useful for "dumb" text files and Paint is also not bad for quick image edits. Wordpad - no need, really, if you have an Office Suite installed but good enough for those who don't.

It does make you wonder why these were not optional in the first place though.

One thing I wish MS would bring back is Space Cadet Pinball. That was fun. But please don't mess this up.

What really need to be optional are live tiles, Cortana, spyware and ads.
Live tiles were great on Win phone, but on desktop ? I don't even think I have / use any tiled app.

Ads - that's really interesting that you are being shown ads in an OS that you paid for which runs on hardware that you also paid for. Amazing that this is even legal.

Paint and notepad I use from time to time (as super quick editors). But wordpad is never really used (as the next level up for me is a proper document editor).

But <20mbs? Not even worth the time to remove it lol

Paint and notepad are the only 2 apps I use. At least we'll still have bubble witch saga and battle tanks, thank goodness.

"Once Notepad, Paint, and WordPad have been uninstalled via the menu, a system reboot is required"

A REBOOT? lol, what?? There is NOTHING tied to them that needs a reboot. I've been building installers for 20 years. Is Win10 that crappy? Like we've been saying, a downgrade. I just heard a collective facepalm of 800,000,000 people, or whatever number of Win10 active installs MS is making up these days.

I'm just sitting here in absolute disbelief it "requires" a reboot.

Would you believe --- Notepad is great for-- taking notes??

copy content and paste into email w/o necessity of Office 365 subscription; my my

Paint and Notepad are the best things they put into Windows. I use them both almost daily.

"Once Notepad, Paint, and WordPad have been uninstalled via the menu, a system reboot is required"

A REBOOT? lol, what?? There is NOTHING tied to them that needs a reboot. I've been building installers for 20 years. Is Win10 that crappy? Like we've been saying, a downgrade. I just heard a collective facepalm of 800,000,000 people, or whatever number of Win10 active installs MS is making up these days.

I'm just sitting here in absolute disbelief it "requires" a reboot.

Agree, you can run either program with just the exe....no registry entries, no ini/dll files, no nothing. What in the hell requires a reboot? I credit MS (Millennial Software)!

I would use Notepad if it supported dragging text with a mouse. It doesn't so I use Wordpad. That is until they start advertising through Wordpad. Sadly all other editors I have looked at color code text as a coding editor. I don't need a coding editor and the colors distract me.

As for images, I have never cared for Paint. Paint is way too basic. I could only use Paint as a viewer. And it doesn't even do that job very well. For viewing I use Irfanview. And for editing I use Paint.NET.

Notepad to go immediately, why even include it. Integrate Notepad++. Also integrate Paint.NET, the image processing apps with windows are seriously more than pathetic.

Idk Windows 10 is mad atm and won't let me access my app list on the start menu. Programs! Damnit I don't think it likes the word programs. Sorry Windows 10, forgive me.

Google said I have to sign in, sign out and then say windows 7 into a mirror 3 times with the lights off.

That is of course, only if I have the professional version.

p.s. I like all little prograpps, they are nice and simple.

^ This x1000. The first thing that gets put on a fresh Windows install for me is Notepad++, VLC, ImageGlass, Classic Start Menu, Winamp / Winyl, Q-Dir, 7zip, Paint.NET, etc. I don't even find Windows usable with MS-only applications. And that was before the W10-era of full-on junkification with Candy Crush / W10 Solitaire (that because of the ads is an actual downgrade vs Solitaire for Windows 3.0 that was written for free 32 years ago by a bored intern...)

Downloaded paint.net, and ImageGlass. Thanks! Edit: and Q-Dir

Last edited:
What do you mean? The user's memories?

This is where I went to school, most of the time I had better things to do.
Look at this pbrush.exe photograph..

Is Win10 so terrible they have to be concerned about an extra 50k of memory being used? This, again, was not a problem with any operating system prior to Win10

Delete Excel next! Yah.

I would use Notepad if it supported dragging text with a mouse. It doesn't so I use Wordpad.
HUH?? Does on Win/7

to make the point, here's response in NP and pasted back
A moment ago

New
Add bookmark

cliffordcooley said:
I would use Notepad if it supported dragging text with a mouse. It doesn't so I use Wordpad.

HUH?? Does on Win/7

Back