Nothing Showing up on monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to clean all the dust out of my computer the other day and this is what has happened since.

putting my video card back into the PCI Express x16 slot i broke the latch off. no big deal i thought and put my computer back together and turned it on. it booted up but nothing showed up on my monitor. so i figured that my video card was loose. i was planning to upgrade anyways (i have a Radeon X800 Pro) so i went out and bought a video card that goes in a regular PCI slot. (i bought a cheap nvidia geforce mx 4000) put it in my my PCI slot took out my other video card and when i booted it up i had the same problem. so now i have no idea what the problem is. any advice would help tremendously. i can give you guys any more details if you need them. i would just like to really know whats going on in my computer.

thanks in advance

The first thing you should try is clearing your CMOS. Your motherboard manual will tell you how to do this.

It would be unfortunate if the motherboard will only support another PCI Express card. Again, if it will handle an old style PCI card perhaps you need to make changes in the BIOS?

Is there any thing on the screen at all after you start up? Are there any beeps to be heard? If the answer to both is no it could well be bad news. First check that the graphics card is fully seated into the slot. Also that you haven't loosened any connector while delving inside the case. If there's something on the screen but you can't get into Windows you can enter the BIOS by contantly pressing delete as you start up. Possibly the motherboard has blown. Sometimes it's best to bring in the professionals. Best of luck.

i plan to get a new mobo soon. so hopefully that works. id hate to get a new mobo and have it be a CPU problem or something. thanks for all the help.

HouseOHorr said:
I decided to clean all the dust out of my computer the other day and this is what has happened since.

putting my video card back into the PCI Express x16 slot i broke the latch off. no big deal i thought and put my computer back together and turned it on. it booted up but nothing showed up on my monitor. so i figured that my video card was loose. i was planning to upgrade anyways (i have a Radeon X800 Pro) so i went out and bought a video card that goes in a regular PCI slot. (i bought a cheap nvidia geforce mx 4000) put it in my my PCI slot took out my other video card and when i booted it up i had the same problem. so now i have no idea what the problem is. any advice would help tremendously. i can give you guys any more details if you need them. i would just like to really know whats going on in my computer.

thanks in advance

The computer still sees the PCI Express Video Card, the only way to get around this is to remove that card. Remove the battery on the MOBO and clear the CMOS wait 3 mins. But does the MOBO does it come with onboard Video? If so when you clear the CMOS out it will default back to the onboard Video first. If you don't have onboard then, use the PCI Geforce4 MX 4000 (by the way great card I have 1 PCI and 3 AGP 8X versions)

You should see something on the screen on the monitor but did you bend the any of the 15-pins for VGA connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back