Now I'm confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manikle

I've searched the forum and read the Graphic card sticky by cfitzarl , but all I find is conflicting info.
I want to install the new driver for my HD 4850
Some posts say to uninstall via add/remove in control panel.
Others say to boot into safe mode and remove the driver via device manager.
My confusion also stems from the fact that all I see in control panel is Catalyst Install Manager --not Catalyst Control Center.
The recommended download on Techspot leads to a page which contains a Catalyst Suite.
Before I mess up my computer, by failing to uninstall the necessary things, I'm hoping will reply.
Should I do the following:
1) Download the new Catalyst Suite
2)Uninstall Catalyst Install Manager
3) Uninstall the video card driver in device manager--and do I have to boot into safe mode in order to do so
4) Install the new Catalyst Suite

All you need to do is remove the ATI Display Driver from the Add/Remove programs and Catalyst Install Manager should run. Now it's just a matter of selecting which components to remove from your system. You shouldn't have to remove Catalyst Install Manager but I would update to the latest version of CCC (Catalyst Control Center) when you remove the existing display drivers. You don't need to do anything in safe mode.

Thanks, but there is no ATI Display Driver in the add/remove programs area of Control Panel. Only the ATI Catalyst Install Manager is there.
I'm running Vista Home 64 bit--which I probably should have mentioned before.

Then the driver has probably been uninstalled already. Just run the installer for the new suite and it should install the new drivers. After a restart go back in to Add/Remove Programs list and verify that the Display Driver is there. Again, you shouldn't need to do anything with Catalyst Install Manager; even if it's selected to be updated I don't think you have to manually uninstall it first.

Unfortunately, running the installer for the new suite ended up with the installer freezing.
The ATI Catalyst Install Manager that was visible in Control Panel was the old one, so I
uninstalled the ATI Catalyst Manager and played it safe by having it remove everything. After a reboot, I re-downloaded the new Catalyst Suite and was then able to install the new suite.

EXCellR8, I find it very disappointing when I search through threads to find solutions to problems and the OP never posts to say whether or not the problem was resolved.
It's certainly much more difficult to try to help someone via the internet than it is to have the problem computer in front of you.
I very much appreciate you taking the time to try to help me.
Without helpful people like you, these forums wouldn't exist.
I thought that my last post clearly detailed what did and didn't work, so that anyone searching for a solution to the same dilemma would find it.
Wouldn't want to be guilty of doing the very same thing that annoys me ;)
After removing the original ATI Catalyst Installer via Control Panel, etc, then all went smoothly.
I later checked in Device Manager to be sure that the newest driver was installed--it was.

On a side note, it surprised me to find that going into Device Manager and having windows search the internet for an updated video driver resulted in receiving a message that the driver was up to date--when it actually was several releases behind the latest driver. Guess I had much more faith in the program than I should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back