NSA PRISM whistleblower Edward Snowden reveals himself

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The individual responsible for blowing the whistle on the National Security Agency’s secret Internet surveillance program has come forward to reveal himself. 29-year-old Edward Snowden, a former technical assistant for the CIA and current employee of defense contractor Booz Allen Hamilton, said he had no intention of hiding his identity because he knows he didn’t do anything wrong.

In an interview with The Guardian from Hong Kong, Snowden noted that he understands he will be made to suffer for his actions but that he will be satisfied if the federation of secret law, unequal pardon and irresistible executive powers that rule over the world he loves are revealed if even for an instant. The sole motive, he said, was to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them.

guardian nsa whistleblower

Snowden was working for the NSA in Hawaii as recently as just a few weeks ago. It was there that he made copies of the secret NSA documents in preparation to take them public. With the copies in hand, he then flew to Hong Kong before making them public. He believes that the extradition process, at least an official one, will be more difficult from there.

The whistleblower said he hoped the Obama administration would turn reverse post-9/11 monitoring but in his own words, he said he watched as Obama advanced the same policies that he thought would be reined in.

Permalink to story.

If the govt is watching us so closely, how'd they miss this guy copying top-secret documents and planning his escape?

I also don't get why he revealed himself. If he does it all anonymously he can keep his life, now he's probably going to end up in jail. He says he believes he did nothing wrong, but he understands he's going to be a ton of trouble... so why come out?

After listening to his interview, I admire this man, his courage, his morality, Finally an American hero.

Oh... this is why.

After listening to his interview, I admire this man, his courage, his morality, Finally an American hero.

I wouldn't be so quick to pat him on the back until we know everything. You noticed he took off to CHINA so he couldn't be arrested. For all you and I know, they paid him handsomely for this and other information. And the timing with Obama's visit to China is sure coincidental.

I wouldn't be so quick to pat him on the back until we know everything. You noticed he took off to CHINA so he couldn't be arrested. For all you and I know, they paid him handsomely for this and other information. And the timing with Obama's visit to China is sure coincidental.
He went to Hong Kong for safety, the US can't touch him there, he will simply disappear into the masses, and China has no jurisdiction there either, This is from his CIA training. , when your cover is blown.

He went to Hong Kong for safety, the US can't touch him there, he will simply disappear into the masses, and China has no jurisdiction there either, This is from his CIA training. , when your cover is blown.

Been watching spy movies again, haven't you...

richalone442 said:

If he was smart, this guy would go to a place where he doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

yes they can. Hong Kong is NOT China, not since 1994 or whenever it was they separated. The US does not have an extradition treaty with China, but they do have one with Hong Kong. CNN just had an interview with the lawyer who consults for the show Locked Up Abroad, and he suggested Iceland or Sweden as a good place to go. If he does go to China or Russia or someplace else where they don't have an extradition treaty with the US, they may just lock him up or send him back anyway. He's basically not safe anywhere, and needs a country to grant him asylum.

Iceland's extradition treaty is so old that it doesn't cover classified documents (according the CNN story) so they may not send him back. France also sometimes is lenient they said.

The funny thing about CNN though, is after that story they did one about the rest of the world's reaction to this story. China is laughing at us cause they don't even have facebook, Israel and Palestine also watch their citizens constantly. England is currently defending it's similar program too. Overall it sounded like CNN was playing the role of the administration's compliant news media and waving their hand in our faces telling us 'These aren't the droids you're looking for."

yes they can. Hong Kong is NOT China, not since 1994 or whenever it was they separated. The US does not have an extradition treaty with China, but they do have one with Hong Kong. CNN just had an interview with the lawyer who consults for the show Locked Up Abroad, and he suggested Iceland or Sweden as a good place to go. If he does go to China or Russia or someplace else where they don't have an extradition treaty with the US, they may just lock him up or send him back anyway. He's basically not safe anywhere, and needs a country to grant him asylum.

Iceland's extradition treaty is so old that it doesn't cover classified documents (according the CNN story) so they may not send him back. France also sometimes is lenient they said.

The funny thing about CNN though, is after that story they did one about the rest of the world's reaction to this story. China is laughing at us cause they don't even have facebook, Israel and Palestine also watch their citizens constantly. England is currently defending it's similar program too. Overall it sounded like CNN was playing the role of the administration's compliant news media and waving their hand in our faces telling us 'These aren't the droids you're looking for."
Yeah screw personal freedom;infact let's double down on our vaccinations eat 2x as much gmo and chug fluoride constantly;because Obama Loves us and says it good for us,since he loves us I'm sure he would never hurt us would he?

Yeah screw personal freedom;infact let's double down on our vaccinations eat 2x as much gmo and chug fluoride constantly;because Obama Loves us and says it good for us,since he loves us I'm sure he would never hurt us would he?

Yeah, it was a little disconcerting to see CNN take up a good chunk of their news program to show us other countries around the world where the citizens are used to being watched by the govt. You know, fun places to live like Russia, Lebanon, China, Israel, and Palestine. That's our benchmark CNN?

- the darkestplace is under the light house (maybe that's why, just like manning)

- it might be just a coverup to cheer up society that we have a moral hero who stand for our rights. Some time later he might be pardoned and everybody will be happy and meantime (deep down in the jungle) senat is passing some deep sh*t that includes mandatory implementation of chip into everybody's brain across the entire world (as we know US have a judicial power, so no problem here)

- but to be honest I would rather not want to be in his shoes now, his life will be destroyed soon

- and I think he came out because this will assure that his every move can be tracked by media (or not)

If you think about it, any terrorist worth a damn wouldn't use a cell phone. Is the Government just trying to find the dumb ones? I think some people just caught with their hands in the cookie jar and spying on American citizens.

If you think about it, any terrorist worth a damn wouldn't use a cell phone. Is the Government just trying to find the dumb ones? I think some people just caught with their hands in the cookie jar and spying on American citizens.
If you've been watching the news lately, there was a "stupid terrorists" that couldn't remember the correct formula for the bombs he was making & had to call his leader via a cell phone & that is how they found him.

I have such distrust from pretty much anyone in DC, that I'm holding judgement.
It's been reported the "cia" (or whichever alphabet agency) has been looking for this guy
since Mid May? and could not find him. Now, you have a guy that is suppose to be the
leaker, and all the alphabet spy agencies could not find him, until he popped up and said
"I'M RIGHT HERE IN HONG KONG". It almost sounds like they are creating another scandal,
to hide the IRS scandal, which was to hid the Benghazi scandal, which was to hide fast & furious, which was to hide......
It doesn't matter if it was a D, or an R....I'd throw them all out, shut the darn thing down and start over. This time, put some NON LAWYERS in charge of running things. Non career
politicians. But, with the "we the people" types that vote, not much chance of that happening.
It's at a tipping point. Those that do not work, are voting for those that will "give" them stuff, so they aren't going to vote against the gravy train, then add the government workers, and you'll see why we are in the mess we are in. People, for the most part, are fat, dumb & happy, as long as they get other peoples money to spend. When that runs out, the s**t will hit the fan.

If you've been watching the news lately, there was a "stupid terrorists" that couldn't remember the correct formula for the bombs he was making & had to call his leader via a cell phone & that is how they found him.

If you watch the video you provided, at 4:12 is where your story starts. The terrorist in question sent an email and did not use a cell phone. I'll admit even using email was pretty dumb.

If you watch the video you provided, at 4:12 is where your story starts. The terrorist in question sent an email and did not use a cell phone. I'll admit even using email was pretty dumb.
Yes, it says he sent an email giving his phone# "which they highlighted, as [deleted]. I rest my case, it was stupid of him to give his phone number. thanks.

This guy is a complete worm, and worse, a traitor.

He is employed in a position that gives him access to secrets, and he spills them (contrary to his employment contract).

Why do some please think that spilling government secrets is a great idea, but they would not approve of the stealing of corporate secrets? Difference? Some people just like to attack the system that is protecting them, sometimes from people just like them with hidden intentions.

Wake up. We NEED secret surveillance and the bottom line is if you don't have anything to HIDE them you won't be concerned about the possibility surveillance. So what if an agency reads the texts I send to my wife? BIG DEAL! My phone company can read ANYTHING ANYTIME ANYWAY!

This 'Whistle Blower' just needs to feel special, as his mom probably never said that she loved him enough.

DON'T admire a traitor in the name of 'freedom', its a mistake that will cost you the protection you need.

If the day comes that you or a loved one is a victim of crime or terror, I'm sure you would change your tune and have surrendered some privacy to government agencies if it gave a higher chance of your being SAFE and ALIVE.

Grow up. I trust governments more than corporations like Facehook with my data. Most people just give it away to Facefarce and never think twice about it.

Grow up. I trust governments more than corporations like Facehook with my data. Most people just give it away to Facefarce and never think twice about it.
I for one don't trust the US Govt and certainly do not trust or use Facefarce either.

Never heard of Facefarce, but oh well.:)
But since I have nothing to hide, I'll trust the government before facebook.

Grow up. I trust governments more than corporations like Facehook with my data.
And here I am thinking the government has turned into the single largest corporation of them all. So basically that makes you the governments b_t_h. The constitutional amendments have become so complex, we no longer live by the words of the constitution. But yet your government (I no longer claim it as mine) is responsible for all the complexities of the constitutional amendments. As much as I dislike Facebook, they are no where near your worst enemy.

Back