NTDLR is Missing and x07B BSOD, Any Other Solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been working through solutions for the above boot error and I've run out of possible solutions and would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Was in the process of replacing my old Maxtor IDE HDs (Drive 1 and 2) with two new Hitachi 750G SATA HDs (Drive 3 and 4). I cloned the 60G Maxtor drive (Drive 1) to one of the Hitachi drives (Drive 3.) Maxtor Drive 1 had two partitions on it (C: and E:) with C being the Windows partition.

On the Hitachi drive (Drive 3) I wanted to have a single partition so I merged the two partitions successfully (using Acronis Disk Director). But I think, subsequently, the mistake I probably made was not to also set the new combined partition (F:) as primary.

At this point I thought I would try booting from Drive 3. During the boot I got the NTDLR is missing error and proceed to Google that for a solution. Based on that My first assumption was that my boot.ini on Drive 3 needed fixing so I fired up my Windows XP CD thinking I could go into recovery mode and fix it.

Unfortunately prior to getting to the screen where you can select R but after all the drivers had loaded I got "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage your computer." It goes on to talk about running a virus scan and CHKDSK. And at the very end it includes a x07B error:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78DA63C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

My next step was to go back to the original setup with just the two Maxtor drives. But I still got the NTDLR error and the BSOD when trying to boot from my XP disk.

At this point I took Drive 4 which was still in its box, unsused and unformatted and installed it as the only hard drive with the intention of just doing a fresh install of XP and going from there. Here again I got the same x07B error. Which has me thinking its not the boot.ini afterall and might be the something in the BIOS or CMOS.

Also tried updating my bios.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back