NTLDR is missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypaspid

I recently installed Fedora linux (with GRUB) on one of my partitions and now i cannot boot into windows. I have two HDs, one with Windows XP, the other is partioned into two and the primary partition has Windows Vista and the Logical partition has Fedora Linux.

After the installation of Linux, i rebooted the machine and GRUB did not list either XP or Vista. Now when i start the machine it gives me trhe error message
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl Alt Del to Restart
I have disconnected the HD with linux and use HIRENS Boot CD to boot into XP. How do I repair my boot sector to ne able to boot into XP, Vista and Linux?

My machine's specs are
Intel Core 2 duo 2.33
Intel DG33BU classic motherboard
120 GB HD (partioned), 80GB HD (win XP), 250 GB HD (storage)
Geforce 8400 GT Graphics Card
4 GB DDR II RAM

ouch; typically you save the GRUB info into the partition containing the Linux
and then install it into the MBR which will retain the Windows boot capability.

jobeard said:
ouch; typically you save the GRUB info into the partition containing the Linux
and then install it into the MBR which will retain the Windows boot capability.

How do I correct this problem?

Your bootable device is not bootable for some reason. You have to figger out what that reason is, and then make it bootable.
It appears the problem has to do with which partition, and how you set it up.
Normally, you make the first partition the Windows partition, then format that partition and install Windows. Once that Windows is working, you then install Linux on the second partition using Windows to set up the two. You get Linux working on the second partition.
Simplistically, A boot screen will come up after you press the <ON> button, asking you whether to boot to Windows or to Linux.
There are other ways, but the setup is similar. One of the operating systems has to be in control of that first boot screen, and Windows XP will want to be the one in charge of that.
You will find good detail on "dual boots" with a Gurgle search, or with a visit to Microsoft knowledge base.
JoBeard has it right, but you may need a lot more explanation on the details, which you can find with a Gurgle search or a Linux search.

Boot the Vista DVD and repair the startup.

Then open VIsta, download easy BCD and create alternative startup options (i even have leopard running).

Also, simple one, but make sure the correct hd is set in the bios for start up priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back