Nvidia believes graphics card supplies will improve in the second half of 2022

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Nvidia has once again shared its belief about when the chip shortage will alleviate and graphics cards will stop being as valuable and rare as uncut diamonds. Team green says supply should improve in the second half of next year, which sounds slightly more optimistic than its previous prediction.

Chief Financial Officer Colette Kress made the statement at the UBS Global TMT conference on Monday, reports PCMag. Kress spoke about the steps Nvidia was taking to improve the nightmarish graphics card situation caused mainly by the global chip shortage. “The company as a whole will take the appropriate work to continue to procure more supply,” she said. “We’ve been able to grow quite well during this year, each quarter, sequentially growing. And we do continue to plan to do that for Q4.”

Kress followed up with the part we’ve all been waiting for: “So we believe we will be in a better situation in terms of supply when we look at the second half of next year.”

Also read: GPU Availability and Pricing Update: November 2021

In August, Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang said he expected graphics card issues to last throughout the vast majority of 2022. Kress does make it sound like things will improve sooner, though technically, the second half of next year could refer to December 2022. She also said it’s unclear when the “stabilization point,” where supply and demand even out, would be reached. “We’ll have to wait until we finish the holiday seasons to see how that inventory in the channel is looking,” she added.

Kress also suggested that Nvidia is doing more to ensure it holds onto extra manufacturing capacity and can increase production for future cards, such as the RTX 4000 series, by entering into longer-term commitments with partners. “Longer-term can be more than a year,” she said. “You’ve seen us now enter into agreements that will take us out many years in terms of long-term capacity needs.”

While improving supply will doubtlessly help matters, factors such as the ever-rising price of crypto and scalpers will continue to impact card availability and prices. Kress admitted that getting more GPUs on the market is the first step. "We'd love to bring that back down (the pricing). We believe bringing that down really just takes providing a reasonable amount of supply in the market versus the lean amounts that we have today.”

The latest report on the graphics card market shows prices for both Nvidia’s and AMD’s latest remain around double their MSRP—they’re getting pricier on eBay, too—and team red’s RX 6000 series looks set to become even more expensive. It’s led to PC makers selling pre-built gaming rigs without cards and criminals hijacking trucks to steal GPUs.

Permalink to story.

Black Friday, Microcenter was stock full of cards, specifically: 3080Ti , 3080 and 3070.

They have plenty of GTX 1650 and a whole load of marked up AMD Red Devil cards that no one wants.

You can “get a card”.

The problem is you’ll end up spending more for a 3080Ti than I spent on a 3090FTW3.

Black Friday, Microcenter was stock full of cards, specifically: 3080Ti , 3080 and 3070.

They have plenty of GTX 1650 and a whole load of marked up AMD Red Devil cards that no one wants.

You can “get a card”.

The problem is you’ll end up spending more for a 3080Ti than I spent on a 3090FTW3.
Yup! Absolutely. If you look, cards are available, yet somehow the prices are still crazy high. Strange. It's as if everyone in the supply chain wants to make an extra profit and NVIDIA/AMD don't mind at all. :(

All the supplier has to do is suggest they will no longer supply chips to specific vendors who violate MAP pricing (which they do) as well as those who are in gross overpricing territory and the problem would go away, but no, that's crazy talk. Instead, we get new old variants of cards that nobody asked for, at ridiculous pricing. I'd rather see "Out of Stock" than 200-400% mark up in prices and NVIDIA and AMD are in total control of what happens to their products at retail.

If the GPU mining stops, the bottom will fall out of the GPU market. That's a big if though, it's become a big industry.

This shortage is due to mining. End of story. The aibs and distributers are to blame for the most part, but AMD and Nvidia are standing back and doing nothing, because conveniently it has driven up prices and sales are better than ever. When the second hand cards eventually flood the market, Nvidia and AMDs next gen product will show up (with a tidy mark-up of course) and make them all obsolete.

While it is looking like the Omicron variant might not hit the main countries in the manufacturing chain this time around, what we know is that this is being caused by the western countries hoarding up all vaccines while still having terrible vaccination rates due to not being able to control the antivax propaganda that often comes from even some State officials themselves.

So I just wouldn't bet on Nvidia's optimism: it is still possible that either this or other Covid variant ends up affecting east Asian countries and disrupting all manufacturing again, not through a fault of their own but due to the out of control infection rates coming back to them from the west. It's far more unlikely now that China has their own vaccines but it's still a distinct possibility.

Plenty of cards in stock but the prices are plain stupid.
Nvidia should just mass produce 3050s and dump them en masse as well to stop the scalping

You can “get a card”.

:facepalm:So what you are really saying is that cards are available for purchase IF someone wants to pay outrageous prices for them.

What happened to all your "free market" talk? Its the "Free Market" that supports these outrageous prices when "Free Market" buyers are willing to pay outrageous "Free Market" prices. IMO, it makes about as much sense as quantum superposition. Wait, quantum superposition can be described by mathematics. Buyers paying outrageous prices not so much so.

Yup! Absolutely. If you look, cards are available, yet somehow the prices are still crazy high. Strange. It's as if everyone in the supply chain wants to make an extra profit and NVIDIA/AMD don't mind at all. :(

All the supplier has to do is suggest they will no longer supply chips to specific vendors who violate MAP pricing (which they do) as well as those who are in gross overpricing territory and the problem would go away, but no, that's crazy talk. Instead, we get new old variants of cards that nobody asked for, at ridiculous pricing. I'd rather see "Out of Stock" than 200-400% mark up in prices and NVIDIA and AMD are in total control of what happens to their products at retail.

If you can get an EVGA card, they are they lowest priced cards at retailers (at least at Micro Center). Depending on the model, an EVGA card can be upwards of $400-500 less than other AIB cards.

Just for example: 3060Ti are $480-540 from EVGA, all other AIB are $599+ at Micro Center.

If you can land an EVGA card from a retailer in the States, you're paying closer to MSRP than any other AIB. Or, if you can get really lucky, get your hands on a FE model from Nvidia or manufacturer model from AMD if you want a true MSRP priced card.

I purchased a
If you can get an EVGA card, they are they lowest priced cards at retailers (at least at Micro Center). Depending on the model, an EVGA card can be upwards of $400-500 less than other AIB cards.

Just for example: 3060Ti are $480-540 from EVGA, all other AIB are $599+ at Micro Center.

If you can land an EVGA card from a retailer in the States, you're paying closer to MSRP than any other AIB. Or, if you can get really lucky, get your hands on a FE model from Nvidia or manufacturer model from AMD if you want a true MSRP priced card.
I had to purchase my card (EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3) in a combo deal online for 1900 bucks that came with a monitor and a mouse... what a steel! :/

Nvidia has a better chance of this than AMD.
Look what they were able to do with "Samedung". Nvidia embarrassed AMD already by shipping far more GPUs so I hope AMD has a plan that doesn't mimic previous plans of just launching products we can't buy weeks later.

All eyes are on AMD to see if they can compete on a level playing field with Nvidia and a resurging Intel. I'm still waiting on more OEM news than news about AMD supercomputers.

While it is looking like the Omicron variant might not hit the main countries in the manufacturing chain this time around, what we know is that this is being caused by the western countries hoarding up all vaccines while still having terrible vaccination rates due to not being able to control the antivax propaganda that often comes from even some State officials themselves.

So I just wouldn't bet on Nvidia's optimism: it is still possible that either this or other Covid variant ends up affecting east Asian countries and disrupting all manufacturing again, not through a fault of their own but due to the out of control infection rates coming back to them from the west. It's far more unlikely now that China has their own vaccines but it's still a distinct possibility.
Oh no, muh Omicron! THIS TIME things will surely collapse! How will we ever survive two whole day sof being sore with a stuffy nose? The horror!!

Let's ignore that both israel (80% VAX) and portugal (72% VAX) had major outbreaks. Nothing to see here, it's the MAGA chuds not gettings their jabs!
If Eth 2.0 goes live on schedule (June 2022), then it should be the end of Eth mining.
June 2023? Why would it go live in december 2025? I thought the schedule was october 2029, did they move it up to january 2032?
By the times prices normalize most people that needed a GPU will already have one.
Unlikely, the market for sub $300 GPUs, sub $400 GPUs, sub $500 GPUs, and sub $1000 GPUs has had 0 stock for a year and a half now. Demand is still building. short of a major industry crash it'll take year sbefore the market is saturated properly.

ETH "Proof Of Stake" has been going live every year for the past 6 years.

I'd say it's more likely they'd sooner find Jimmy Hoffa than we 'll see ETH go Proof Of Stake in 2002, 2023, 2024, 2025 or ever for that matter.
There's a reason they're taking their time, billions of dollars at stake if anything goes wrong. And it's in Ethereum Foundation's interests to go PoS. It's good publicity ("We're doing it for the environment!"), but more importantly the current PoW system halts Ethereum's growth as a platform.

I purchased a

I had to purchase my card (EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3) in a combo deal online for 1900 bucks that came with a monitor and a mouse... what a steel! :/
You chose to buy a bundle. That's on you. I got an EVGA 3060Ti from a newegg shuffle that wasn't bundled. I only spent $470 on it.
I also picked up a 3080 from another shuffle and spent about $950 after taxes and shipping.

I wouldn't join any gpu that's bundled. The other items are usually overpriced and not needed.

Also, you're lookkng for "steal".

I got both my 3090FTW3 the week Cyberpunk released for $1799.

As far as I’m concerned, the free market worked just fine!
So if your Market Timing exercise had not worked out well for you and you had to pay an outrageous price, would the Free Market still be working out fine?

You chose to buy a bundle. That's on you. I got an EVGA 3060Ti from a newegg shuffle that wasn't bundled. I only spent $470 on it.
I also picked up a 3080 from another shuffle and spent about $950 after taxes and shipping.

I wouldn't join any gpu that's bundled. The other items are usually overpriced and not needed.

Also, you're lookkng for "steal".
I was part of the NewEgg Shuffle for over a year and never won... so yeah, not in my control and I couldn't just wait and pray for a new card, so the bundle deal was the best thing I could find for the card I wanted. If this was for entertainment purposes, I wouldn't have been so impatient, but this was for work purposes and timing was important.

And the word you're looking for is "looking" wise guy...

Back