Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 8GB: Why You Should Avoid It

Should have called it something like the RTX 3060 Lite Edition or something.

Personnally, my last Nvidia GPU was the Geforce 4 ti4200 ... coz in my kind of job, I had direct contacts with some ppl from nvidia, and I can tell you this company is detestable, while AMD may not be better, it is at least "less worse" so I'm boycotting NV since then... even the little contacts I had with some ppl from intel was not this bad ( and at that time intel was thinking it was the king of the game ) and I'm quite happy that more ppl start to be aware of their behavior... I still recommend and install NV gpus when it's pertinent for my customers, but I'll never buy them something for myself.

I declare shenanigans. Bought a 6700xt after after 15 years of nVidia, I can't wait for the 7000 series. I really hope they get their act together but with their position in the enterprise space I don't think things will ever change for them because they don't need to.

I declare shenanigans. Bought a 6700xt after after 15 years of nVidia, I can't wait for the 7000 series. I really hope they get their act together but with their position in the enterprise space I don't think things will ever change for them because they don't need to.
Same here, bought an Asus 6700xt card after years of Nvidia. The last AMD card I owned was still named ATI. I believe that's going to be the trend now, especially if AMD play their ... cards right with the 7000 series. I would only buy Nvidia for RT, but it's not worth the massive price difference atm.

Luckily you mentioned Zen3 support on 300/400 series motherboards on article. What every whiner is missing is fact that there are basically zero AMD made 300/400 series motherboards on sale. Basically AMD could offer official Zen3 support for 300/400 series motherboards if and only if motherboard manufacturers agree too. Otherwise AMD would throw motherboard manufacturers under the bus.

Luckily you mentioned Zen3 support on 300/400 series motherboards on article. What every whiner is missing is fact that there are basically zero AMD made 300/400 series motherboards on sale. Basically AMD could offer official Zen3 support for 300/400 series motherboards if and only if motherboard manufacturers agree too. Otherwise AMD would throw motherboard manufacturers under the bus.
I'm pretty sure only 3 added support for zen 3 on the 300 series mother board, Asrock, Gigabyte and someone else. But it wasn't officially supported and was released as a beta bios. Also, I know this because I have an asrock b350 motherboard, the beta bios only supports 1000 series cpus and 5000 series CPUs. So if you had a 2000 series CPU and updated to the new bios, it would't boot until you put in the 5000 series. There wasn't enough room in the bios to support all series of ryzen CPUs.

I'm pretty sure only 3 added support for zen 3 on the 300 series mother board, Asrock, Gigabyte and someone else. But it wasn't officially supported and was released as a beta bios. Also, I know this because I have an asrock b350 motherboard, the beta bios only supports 1000 series cpus and 5000 series CPUs. So if you had a 2000 series CPU and updated to the new bios, it would't boot until you put in the 5000 series. There wasn't enough room in the bios to support all series of ryzen CPUs.
Depends. My motherboard (x370 Taichi) has official BIOS for 5000 series, not beta. Anyway point is that while releasing 3060 8GB is Nvidia's fault and Nvidia's only, Ryzen 300/400 series Zen3 support is much more complicated. It's not just AMD could release support regardless what motherboard manufacturers think about it.

Also when publishing pretty negative Nvidia article, TS somehow manages to criticize AMD too. And screws that criticism totally as expected. Perhaps they couldn't find any better examples from AMD because there aren't any good ones.

Same here, bought an Asus 6700xt card after years of Nvidia. The last AMD card I owned was still named ATI. I believe that's going to be the trend now, especially if AMD play their ... cards right with the 7000 series. I would only buy Nvidia for RT, but it's not worth the massive price difference atm.
I don't have a brand preference as long as they work. I also bought the RX 6700 XT as was >100 EUR cheaper and is around the same performance as RTX 3070 in the games I play.

One thing that I was annoyed about until a couple of days ago, the GPU would get black screens very often which would result in me having to restart the PC. It is a known issue that sits there for months. The fix I've found literally a couple of days ago which is to disable MPO and the fix is actually given by Nvidia for their cards that supposedly have the same issue. Regardless, it works without black screens so far and I'm saying this because 1) It is not a lie that AMD has junky drivers sometimes 2) If anyone has the same issue here is the possible fix.

Companies routinely ask in court that their brands and trademarks be protected from use by others, because they do not want customers to be confused by products that look like one thing but are really something else.

The next time Nvidia asks a court for this sort of protection, which generally involves stating that this is in line with good public policy, the court should inquire about Nvidia's practices like those described in this article and ask why they are entitled to stop others from doing what they themselves do.

Back