Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti rumored for October debut

onetheycallEric

Staff
Rumor mill: According to fresh rumors, it seems a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti may be in the works, with a launch that may even preempt the vanilla RTX 3060. If this happens, the most logical explanation would be Nvidia is flexing its muscle to steal as much thunder from AMD's Big Navi release as possible.

The supposed RTX 3060 Ti would launch in October, the same month that Nvidia's upcoming RTX 3070 is supposed to arrive. As for when we could expect a standard RTX 3060, that's presently unclear. Early 2021 seems like a safe bet, though.

According to hardware leaker @kopite7kimi on Twitter, the RTX 3060 Ti will be based on the GA104-200 silicon. For reference, the RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 both use GA102 variants, while the RTX 3070 also uses silicon carved from GA104 (GA104-300).

As for specs, the RTX 3060 Ti could use up to 4,864 CUDA cores, 152 Tensor cores, 38 RT cores, and 8GB of GDDR6 clocked at 14Gbps over a 256-bit wide bus. There doesn't appear to much information regarding clock rates, ROPs, etc.

Supposedly the RTX 3060 Ti would arrive with a TDP of 180W, marking a 40W reduction over the RTX 3070.

If the rumored specs are true, it looks like the RTX 3060 Ti will be targeting RTX 2080-like performance, potentially at a $399 price point. Pricing could end up being closer to $450, depending on how Nvidia wants to position it in the product stack. Meanwhile, the standard RTX 3060 may offer performance similar to the RTX 2070, and probably at a price closer to $350, but at this point these are merely educated guesses.

What's for certain is that Nvidia will be watching AMD closely to see what its RX 6000-series cards are going to look like in October, and will adjust accordingly.

Permalink to story.

So you have a 3070 that obsoletes virtually everything else at $500 and now you bring us a 3060Ti for less than the 3070?

I could cry...

>> [Preempting the vanilla 3060], the supposed RTX 3060 Ti would launch in October, the same month that Nvidia's upcoming RTX 3070 is supposed to arrive...."

NVidia engineer:
"Let's release 3 cards, with distinctions clearly and rationally defined."
NVidia marketing dweeb: "Let's release a dizzying array of 15+ different models, all with semi-overlapping performance, price ranges, and feature sets, allowing us to market everything to everyone."

Who's winning?

NVidia engineer: "Let's release 3 cards, with distinctions clearly and rationally defined."
NVidia marketing dweeb: "Let's release a dizzying array of 15+ different models, all with semi-overlapping performance, price ranges, and feature sets, allowing us to market everything to everyone."

Who's winning?
OMG!
Did you just confuse an AMD marketing dweeb for an NVidia professional?

Last edited:
I'd be really surprised if the 3060 Ti comes in at only $50 less than the 3070.

I hope the rumor is correct about power below 200W.

NVidia engineer:

Who's winning?

Don't forget the part where they release the same model with different RAM or large performance differences.

Nvidia has recently had models with slower DDR RAM and mobile parts like the MX150 with much slower variants under the same name.

NVidia engineer:

Who's winning?
They all do it mate, not just Nvidia. And that’s why it’s important to read reviews from different outlets before buying. It’s really not that difficult to work out how each card performs.

If you go and buy something stupid without doing any prior research, that’s on you, not Nvidia/AMD/Intel etc.

Hmm. The 2070 super already delivers 2080-like performance at $450-$500 today. A $400-$450 price tag on this is not impressive.
Yeah, and judging by the specs, this at $400+ would probably mean the same or worse value than the 3070, which would be pretty bad due to the price point being a lot more competitive. I would say $350 is the maximum it should cost to be a decent upgrade over the current options.

They all do it mate, not just Nvidia. And that’s why it’s important to read reviews from different outlets before buying. It’s really not that difficult to work out how each card performs.

If you go and buy something stupid without doing any prior research, that’s on you, not Nvidia/AMD/Intel etc.
True. Guess when you're not shilling for Nvidia you can say some really sensible things, good job!

$450 for entry level card...

Well, Playstation 5 & XBOX is the way to go these days.

Gamedevs update their PC requirements every time the new hardware comes out. Except for consoles, that just have stellar optimisation all the time.

I could swear that my friend's PS4Pro games looks better than what You get from similar cost PC setup, so If two years ago I could swear it's better to have gaming PC for both gaming and everyday work, today I recon, future is in both next gen console and basic laptop hooked up to the same monitor.
Farewell, PCMasterRace...

Or they could provide a baseline of transparency and consistency that enables customers to not have to put in a ton of effort to figure out what they are buying as a majority of the market are not experts. All leaving people out to dry like you suggest does is encourage people to move to other simpler platforms.

There are situations where even if you look up performance of a particular product, there are variants that can easily mislead people (like the variants of the MX150). It's confusing in some instances even when you do your homework. Have you see Intel's mobile nomenclature?

The PC platform doesn't survive if that's the attitude enthusiasts are taking towards less technically inclined individuals.

Gamedevs update their PC requirements every time the new hardware comes out. Except for consoles, that just have stellar optimisation all the time.

I could swear that my friend's PS4Pro games looks better than what You get from similar cost PC setup, so If two years ago I could swear it's better to have gaming PC for both gaming and everyday work, today I recon, future is in both next gen console and basic laptop hooked up to the same monitor.
Umm that should be the case as a budget gaming pc would be $600, decent one around $800-$1000. The good ones around $1200 and up.

Nothing has changed, its been this way for awhile. Its still better to have a pc as they can do more than a console but for gaming, especially for pc gaming you have to be willing to pay to have a good setup. So even if you get a console and a cheap laptop, while it may save you money in the short term, youll likely just end up replacing the cheap laptop a few years later as they typically arent all that good to begin with. So youll likely end up spending more or at the very least end up repeating everytjing every few years. Where as if you got a decent/good gaming pc youd be set yo go for awhile, plus it can be upgraded unlike cheap laptops.

Absolutely!

It's the stupid consumer's fault for not seeing through the fine print, PR barrage, various and dubious / self-serving tests by shady publications and the company's shills in tech forums. The smart consumer must have a super detailed, macro-driven Excel spreadsheet to figure out the difference / power / value between 3060, 3060 TI / Super, 3070 (and maybe 3070 TI / super soon)!

Making it complicated for consumers to buy a product was always a sound business decision!!

It’s really not that difficult to work out how each card performs. If you go and buy something stupid without doing any prior research, that’s on you, not Nvidia/AMD/Intel etc.
That's true to a point, but in the specific case someone else mentioned, where the manufacturer changes a key part, or is using multiple vendors for the same part, all while having no visible differentiation in the model number or packaging, there's really not much you can do other than to make sure you can return it and to avoid and shame those manufacturers.

Fortunately this is not super common but it does happen. My last laptop purchase came with a different screen and different SSD part than what was in the initial marketing materials and what the review samples had for example.

First of all, this is not new. The consoles are being sold at a loss, and always represent a better monetary value at face value. By halfway through the generation that is no longer true, PCs begin to achieve price parity and by the end of the generation the same price PC will be superior to a console. This generation will be no different. I dont know why you look at the price of a xx60ti card and automatically assume all hope is lost for budget builds.

It's also interesting you bring up "optimization", when this last generation has been absolutely plagued with games that suffer slowdown issues and missing features to achieve performance (crowd size in witcher 3 for example), and in best case can only manage 30 FPS.

And as you can see here:
an equivalent price PC can run the same games at the same detail at overall better framerates then consoles can, and keep in mind the PC hardware used here is years old now, you can build a system with a 1050ti and a pentium G6400 that would run circles around that one in the video, and you can also pick up a desktop PC like an optiplex 7010, stick a 480 in it, and have a system far superior to current gen consoles for $300. The ryzen 4700u in laptops can run games like GTA V at higher settings and higher framerates then the PS4 pro can.

They're clearly just making sure they have a full range of products for all price brackets so AMD has a harder time undercutting them.

Back