Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 Laptop GPU Review

A craptop that uses 150-175W?! You'd better have these guys nearby:
Fire_fighters_practice_with_spraying_equipment%2C_March_1981.jpg

Last edited:
This kind of performance in a portable form factor is simply astounding. My current gaming laptops have the 1060 and 3060 and still run a lot of titles quite well. But this is some next level ****. Want!

It will be better with 7940hs as the 4090 will get more thermal headroom.
let's see how g14 performs, including vs m2 max.

That‘s just the graphics card. And if you actually believe the power numbers right next to the Intel CPU I‘ve got a bridge to sell you (I know you don‘t).

Really, wonder why they even still bother with Intel‘s TDP.

That said, the mobile AD103‘s performance is impressive. Am curious if there‘s a price difference vs last gen‘s top model.

Can you limited 4090 to 80w and test it against 3080 Ti at full power ??

Might still beat 3080 Ti because performance don't scale linearly with power.

It's an impressive bit of kit, but it would have been nice to see it compared to a real 4090 so we could all see what a scam the name is.

They're just taking the piss with these prices now. 5 grand? Nvidia is so out of touch with reality as is the minority who thinks this is worth buying.

I like how they push this idea again with laptops, about paying SUPEREXTRA for anything more performing, as with RTX 4090M and RTX 4080M, while anything "affordable" like RTX 4070M is gonna be barely better than 3080M and 3070M

It's an impressive bit of kit, but it would have been nice to see it compared to a real 4090 so we could all see what a scam the name is.

I ended up watching the TY video version of this first and Tim mentions multiple times that comparison is coming shortly and he gave a spoiler: the "4090" laptop GPU is wayyyy slower than a real desktop 4090.

But we all knew that, of course.

I still have my previous laptop. An MSI GT76 Titan. 210 watt 2080 and a full power desktop 9900K. 2, 230 watt power bricks and no fires in 2 1\2 years. ;)

04IwDN08G5W2HfA73NyPx1Z-12.fit_lim.size_1506x753.v_1570635515.jpg

And this is the last 3Dmark test I ran. Check out the GPU temps.

I ended up watching the TY video version of this first and Tim mentions multiple times that comparison is coming shortly and he gave a spoiler: the "4090" laptop GPU is wayyyy slower than a real desktop 4090.

But we all knew that, of course.
Of course it is.
And just from memory: The 4080 was something like 30% slower than the 4090, no?
This one is a 4080 (as we can see), on half juice (150W). So, I expect another 30% decrease of performance. Which leaves you with approx. half the performance of a 4090.

Does that make sense?
Hmmm...

Totally.
You get a beefy laptop for the same price as a desktop, with about half the performance (CPU & GPU). Yeah, that makes sense...

Ada Love Lace has more performance per watt than RDNA3

You can still limit power at 80w and still beat AMD GPU at same power
I was making a joke about the TDP because for a craptop, that's A LOT. Average craptop power use is around 70W and this is, at the low end, more than double that.

I didn't say anything about nVidia, Intel or AMD so what are you talking about?
I still have my previous laptop. An MSI GT76 Titan. 210 watt 2080 and a full power desktop 9900K. 2, 230 watt power bricks and no fires in 2 1\2 years. ;)

04IwDN08G5W2HfA73NyPx1Z-12.fit_lim.size_1506x753.v_1570635515.jpg

And this is the last 3Dmark test I ran. Check out the GPU temps.

I know that, but if I didn't pretend not to then I couldn't have posted that funny picture! :laughing:

Of course it is.
This one is a 4080 (as we can see), on half juice (150W). So, I expect another 30% decrease of performance. Which leaves you with approx. half the performance of a 4090.

Does that make sense?
Hmmm...

Totally.
You get a beefy laptop for the same price as a desktop, with about half the performance (CPU & GPU). Yeah, that makes sense...
That's why I call them "craptops". :laughing:

Only the largest and heaviest systems can support that level of power, which takes away from the portability of getting a mobile gaming system.

First, no one is buying these laptops because they are feather light. Second, Compared to humping your desktop 4090 machine around, these laptops are feather light.

The point is mobility. I have an ASUS gaming laptop, 17 inch. It's big and bulky and I wouldn't (and don't) use it as my primary mobile computer. But, it's awesome that when I travel I can bring it along and play the games I like to play on it. I travel between 2 homes on a regular basis and I don't have to sacrifice not playing or having to spend 2x on 2 gaming desktops. I also solved the power brick problem by getting 2 of them, one for each location.

Of course it is.

Does that make sense?
Hmmm...

Totally.

There is this tidbit mentioned in the article which hints to the performance:

"On the negatives, we have the misleading branding. While the RTX 4090 Laptop does perform similarly to an RTX 3090 desktop card, that doesn't make it an RTX 4090, not even close."

First, no one is buying these laptops because they are feather light. Second, Compared to humping your desktop 4090 machine around, these laptops are feather light.

The point is mobility. I have an ASUS gaming laptop, 17 inch. It's big and bulky and I wouldn't (and don't) use it as my primary mobile computer. But, it's awesome that when I travel I can bring it along and play the games I like to play on it. I travel between 2 homes on a regular basis and I don't have to sacrifice not playing or having to spend 2x on 2 gaming desktops. I also solved the power brick problem by getting 2 of them, one for each location.
(y) (Y) Thank you for that. I have posted similar so many times, I don't see any reason to do it anymore.

I currently have a Legion 7 with a Ryzen 9 5900HX and a 175 watt 3080.
In games, it performs in that tiny space between a 2080 TI and a plain 3070 and weighs
just under 7 lbs (around 3 kg). With a 2k screen (1600p), I don't have any problems running anything.

Last edited:
Hard to see these selling eh? Tell that to all the people that pre-ordered them on Amazon and newegg.com. The more "affordable" 4090 laptops sold out rather quickly. These are going to be very successful due to the price of the desktop 4090 and laptops being able to play most games at 4k now. I pre-ordered the Gigabyte Aorus one for $3499 and are like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for that suck!

Back