Nvidia is bringing ray tracing to more remastered PC classics

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: While we continue to see new games supporting Nvidia’s real-time ray tracing effects, we’ve also seen the company bring RTX to older titles, including Quake II and, eventually, Minecraft. Now, it’s been discovered that the firm is planning to remaster other classic titles in a similar fashion.

According to a job listing that was spotted by DSOGaming, Nvidia’s Lightspeed Studios, which was responsible for Quake II RTX , is “cherry-picking some of the greatest titles from the past decades and bringing them into the ray tracing age, giving them state-of-the-art visuals while keeping the gameplay that made them great.”

There’s no indication of what these games might be, though the studio did say the first one will be a title people “know and love.”

Before working on Quake II RTX, Lightspeed Studios ported PC games to the Nvidia Shield, including Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and Portal, so don’t be surprised if one of those three classics is next to receive the RTX treatment.

Back in June, Quake II RTX arrived as a free download. It uses path tracing, a ray-tracing technique that unifies all lighting effects such as shadows, reflections, refractions and more into a single ray-tracing algorithm. Owners of the original just need to patch their copy, while everyone else can try out the first three single-player levels for free.

Minecraft, the best-selling game of all time, is also getting an RTX makeover via a free update next year. We’ve already seen a modder create a shader pack that added path tracing to the game, which introduced effects such as light beams and their reflections on tiled floors.

Permalink to story.

I have nothing against this but I can't help but think the only reason they are doing this is because they're unable to put ray tracing in newest games because of performance issues (and the barely noticable visual difference). All this does is take your attention away from what is actually happening which is nobody actuallu gives a flying fucc about ray tracing.

The only problem with RTX, they're pushing it before its time. Not enough people have machines capable of RTX. They are creating a large expenditure in promotions way too soon. This opens doors for low popularity press, which can lead to an early demise.

Like any new tech for the first few years its in its infancy.
When used right its quite the difference, I've seen Quake 2 running with it and its definitely noticeable, in 3-4 years it will be much more polished/utilized/programmed for.
Also RTX 3000 GPU's should run it much better now as the software/hardware matures to conjure its potential, which is unknown at this point.

Like any new tech for the first few years its in its infancy.
When used right its quite the difference, I've seen Quake 2 running with it and its definitely noticeable, in 3-4 years it will be much more polished/utilized/programmed for.
Also RTX 3000 GPU's should run it much better now as the software/hardware matures to conjure its potential, which is unknown at this point.

Ok, but in 3-4 years AMD will also be well into Ray Tracing tech. They already stated they will support it next year in hardware and later this year in driver updates.

It is very, very possible that by this time next year RT will go the way of Hardware T&L. It's in there but, so what.
Nvidia's advantage with RTX boards was that they had it now. But minimal graphics improvements (not Nvidia's fault) coupled with horrible performance (completely Nvidia's fault) has proven to be another classic Nvidia more noise than results situation.

Last edited:
How do I say I am not interested in Nvidia?
Ah yes. You cant have my money, your raytracing is a useless joke. Good day to you, Huang.
Btw, I love you jacket.

Who cares?
The Xbox and PlayStation are bringing it to everyone next year. Even People's damn grandma, is going to come into contact with "RAY TRACING" while watching of the kids shoulders...

We have known for years real-time, ray tracing was coming to Games in 2020, Carmack and many other spoke about when it was going to take place, etc.

What was sad and what has caused a backlash is how Jensen overhyped nvidia as ray tracing. And overstressed "RTX" as meaning (synonymous) with ray tracing. And tried to push the idea that nvidia created ray tracing and started it, etc. So they can charge a premium, for broken ray tracing.. and sort0of do "crowd funding" for Jensen, so he can help us gamers out on the next try at ray tracing (that isn't broken).

Nvidia played it's hand this year, with a broken line of RTX cards. Now today, every Gamer is getting ray tracing APIs for free and are scalable to the end-user's liking (No Jensen crowd funding nec!). Jensen just had to spin/market why he is using MONOLITHIC SIZED CHIPS, for games. And gullible people bought into his hoax.

Then in walks Dr Su...
nvidia who..?

Last edited:
They played 1996? Doom RT at 80 fps 1080p on a 2080 ti... Wouldn't just using a higher resolution look better? Why are all the reviewers afraid to do a RT on vs RT off image quality comparison. With RT off at higher resolutions at the same fps. rt on 1080p 60 fps vs 4k 60 fps rt off. Side by side image comparison. I bet Nvidia would stop sending free cards to any reviewer who actually showed how useless it is.

1080p vs 4k

Last edited:
Back