Nvidia is finally ready to release the GeForce GTX Titan Z

Scorpus

Staff member

Back in March, Nvidia announced the GeForce GTX Titan Z, a dual-GPU card packing two Kepler GK110 dies and a whopping price tag of $3,000. Originally this graphics card was supposed to launch at the end of April, but it mysteriously missed this time frame and hasn't been sighted since.

Until now, that is. Nvidia is finally ready to officially launch the GTX Titan Z, with the monster card set to be available at retail and in pre-built systems in the next few days. Since the announcement nothing has changed about the card: it still costs $3,000, it still comes with 5,760 CUDA cores (2,880 per GPU) and a maximum clock speed of 876 MHz, and it still packs 12 GB (6 GB per GPU) of GDDR5 memory clocked at 7 Gbps.

The TDP is expected to be somewhere around 375W for this card, although it could be higher considering the two powerful GPUs situated underneath the air cooler. You'll definitely need a powerful PSU to run this card, as you would if you went for an SLI or CrossFire setup.

Nvidia says the GTX Titan Z will be the most powerful graphics card the company has ever created, and by essentially packing two GTX Titans onto the one board, there's no doubting this will be the case. At $3,000 though, it might be a hard sell up against AMD's dual-GPU card, the Radeon R9 295X2, which is mighty powerful and costs just $1500.

If you got a GTX Titan Z and need the drivers to go with it here are the download links:

Permalink to story.

Titan Z 20% performance increase over R9 295X with a 100% increase in price :D

Lol, but still this looks beast cant wait for benchmarks!

Seriously what is the market for this? What people have the cash to buy this and willing to spend it and why is it even needed

This card will be outperformed in a matter of mere months when new and cheaper cards come out. This is probably not a profitable product but just something that has to be done by the company from a strategic point, oh well.

@wastedkill,
That's expected as always buddy. That's how nvidia always do their dirty little business, and by god leave the developer and vendor lock stuffs. But the main culprit is not nvidia (60% market gpu share), but those who buy their dirty little products and associate themselves to be doing business with a dirty company :)

Now what to say about 'apple products' sweet jees ? ultra overpriced or :D

Seriously what is the market for this? What people have the cash to buy this and willing to spend it and why is it even needed

Some would argue this is exactly the market you want to have for a product. People willing to spend just any amount of money on it :eek:

This card will be outperformed in a matter of mere months when new and cheaper cards come out. This is probably not a profitable product but just something that has to be done by the company from a strategic point, oh well.

My educated guess is the Titan Z is very profitable. Nvidia had a chance to experiment with the first Titan and it did great from what I understand.

Bragging Rights. Period.

1. PC zealots.
2. PC zealots with money.

This is probably not a profitable product but just something that has to be done by the company from a strategic point, oh well.

Nvidia will make money on the Titan Z the exact same way Rolls Royce makes money on "over priced" sedans: they will trade sales volume for profit margin.

Hmm. If it works in my 80286 then I'll buy two of them, if it doesn't then we don't have a deal.:p
Even if I had oodles of money to throw around it certainly wouldn't be on a GFX card that costs $3000. The card is irrelevant to all but a few.

That is not going to be true...The core clocks are much lower than the standard Titan Black which would put its performance probably below the 295X2 and some pre-benchmarks already showed it to be below even 2 290X cards (Heck below some 290's.

Its relevance is really minuscule, its all bragging rights at this point because of its design and price.

That is not going to be true...The core clocks are much lower than the standard Titan Black which would put its performance probably below the 295X2 and some pre-benchmarks already showed it to be below even 2 290X cards (Heck below some 290's.

Its relevance is really minuscule, its all bragging rights at this point because of its design and price.

:O seriously..... why would anyone buy this then? Even with its 12GB Vram it still doesnt look like a buy even for a CAD engineer or Animator...

If it supports 4k gaming than maybe it would be worth it. Like this, I wouldn't buy this even if I had like a million dollars cause I don't see this being worth half this price.

If you have oodles of money, why not- I would. Why do people buy any luxuries? You can't take it with you.

Wonder if this card is the reason why they skipped putting 6gigs of mem on the 780 ti to force ppl to look at this as their final option for end users

This is a workstation card with good DP performance that's about it.

This isn't a gaming card even though you can use it to play games to spend 3k just do to that is moronic.

So for the majority of the people on this site this card isn't for you that is pretty clear based on how many people are asking why it was released.

I'm sure nvidia has done enough of their homework to see there is a market for this they don't seem to be the type of company that waste resources and money and that fact that you cannot see a reason for it is irrelevant.

Some would argue this is exactly the market you want to have for a product. People willing to spend just any amount of money on it :eek:

My educated guess is the Titan Z is very profitable. Nvidia had a chance to experiment with the first Titan and it did great from what I understand.
I have to agree that Titan Z will be very profitable if they can sell it. My guess is that they were testing the waters with Titan and Titan Black, and that they are again testing the waters with Titan Z. This card is not on the list of cards for SolidWorks and whether it will be on the list for other "pro" software has yet to be seen; this fact might put a dent in the market sector where it would sell.

The other area where it might sell is those who would use it for compute tasks. With performance that is questionable at that price, however, it may not even sell well in that market.

Personally, I don't see this card as a bragging rights card since there are cards out there that outperform this card for a much lower price.

So, the market segment that is left then, is, IMHO, *****s. :)

This is a workstation card with good DP performance that's about it.

This isn't a gaming card even though you can use it to play games to spend 3k just do to that is moronic.

So for the majority of the people on this site this card isn't for you that is pretty clear based on how many people are asking why it was released.

I'm sure nvidia has done enough of their homework to see there is a market for this they don't seem to be the type of company that waste resources and money and that fact that you cannot see a reason for it is irrelevant.

This is a GeForce card that will get GeForce (gaming) drivers. This is not a Quadro replacement even with full DP. Supply for these will be low, but demand will be high. Hence the price.

Last edited:
Oh come on this is for the people that have the money or access to the money to go into debt as many do and will so they can have the cool new toy....they do not really need...but would be great for ultra HD monitors and dual monitors and gaming....I am to the point where cheaper and lower graphics is better for me. I could build several decent gaming PC's for $3k!!! But hey the industry must go on or the human race will be stuck on earth forever lol

Usually paying top dollar for material goods will help you get laid, I.e. Ferrari, Armani suit. This will not.

I was going to say GPU rendering and high end commercial flight simulators. Even at $3K this is still much cheaper than Quadro. But I think this is really for the rich gamer.

Yeah no way is the TitanZ gonna outperform the 295X by that much. Too bad nVidia didnt give any samples I am really curious to see a review. I bet nVidia was just refining their drivers in the meantime by delaying.

This is a GeForce card that will get GeForce (gaming) drivers. This is not a Quadro replacement even with full DP. Supply for these will be low, but demand will be high. Hence the price.

How many gamers do you know that will drop 3k on a videocard I don't know any.

In a year and a half from now there will most likely be a single High end GPU that will be faster than the 3k card.

And lets be realistic, yes demand will be high but not with gamers!

The way I see it; even though the Titan and Titan Z are and have been marketed as gaming cards, that is not where their market is. Ask @dividebyzero where the market for these cards market are at.

The way I see it; even though the Titan and Titan Z are and have been marketed as gaming cards, that is not where their market is. Ask @dividebyzero where the market for these cards market are at.

Titanium PC cases that have turrents on as no one would spend $3000 and not lock that thing away like a trillin dollars... Someone breaks into your house and your graphics card alone is worth $3000 chances are your full PC is worth well over $5k...

Thieves would love people buying this card break into a house steal 1 thing a tiny graphics card its like finding a diamond or a brick of gold.

Back