Nvidia is ready to ship the RTX 2070 on October 17

Greg S

Highly anticipated: Nvidia just revealed an October 17 release date for the RTX 2070. Although we'll have to wait for the benchmarks, it arrives as a powerful card that is within reach for far more enthusiasts than the top of the line options.

Following the GeForce RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti, Nvidia is now readying the launch of the more affordable GeForce RTX 2070. October 17 will be the day that the GeForce RTX 2070 finds its way into online marketplaces and stores.

Nvidia's Turing architecture offers a factor of six performance gain in ray tracing compared to the previous generation, but as we learned in our recent RTX 2080 review -- or rather, didn't learn -- we have no idea what that means with no possible way to test ray tracing and take advantage of the latest generation GPU's most important feature.

Considering the lofty prices of the RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 2080, the still powerful RTX 2070 will be of consideration by a larger audience of gamers looking to upgrade and check out the fancy new lighting made possible by Turing... once again, when we find out how feasible it is to turn those on current generation boards.

RTX 2070 Founders Edition cards have a boost clock that can reach up to 1710 MHz compared to the standard 1620 MHz. The Base Clock is set at 1410 MHz for all RTX 2070 models. Both versions arrive with 8GB GDDR6 memory with memory speeds up to 14 Gbps. Utilizing a 256-bit memory interface, bandwidth measures in at 448 GB/s.

Cooling on the Founders Edition consists of two 13-blade fans with a newly designed vapor chamber. A 185W power rating has been given to the Founders Edition while the standard model is rated at 175W. Video output consists of DisplayPort, HDMI, USB Type-C, and DVI-DL ports. As always, other manufacturers may offer different configurations of output options.

Those wishing to obtain Founders Edition cards can expect to part ways with $599, while board partner offerings are expected to come in many different flavors starting at a more attractive $499 for the vanilla models.

Permalink to story.

So, the 1080 is being re branded as the 2070, gets a $100 ($150 in the real world) price increase and lets not forget, is having SLI capability removed.

..Thanks Nvidia, you self entitled wankstain of a company.

So, the 1080 is being re branded as the 2070, gets a $100 ($150 in the real world) price increase and lets not forget, is having SLI capability removed.

what are you smoking? the newer rtx 2070 is not a rebranded 1080.

It will probably be ~ GTX1080 or maybe a bit better. It also supports raytracing, but at a much slower speed, so it probably won't be able to run games with RTX on at good speeds. We'll see how DLSS fares, but this is not a clear buy for now.

There are no games out that support RTX. Nvidia put the cart before the horse on this whole launch.

"Check out these sick rims I got for my car that I don't even have yet, and won't have for months!"

Where are you Navi?

The world needs a hero!
Truth is, AMD have a real opportunity here, They don't need Ray Tracing either, if they can get 1080Ti performance without Ray Tracing or DLSS, Just normal Rasterization performance, and sell it for £399 and then bring a whole range in that beat the relevant Nvidia cards (1080, 1070Ti etc...) for less money, Nvidia will be a bit stuck with RTX cards that cost Hundreds more but actually don't perform any better.

Interesting to see what Nvidia then does, lower prices heavily across the board? Doubt it, I bet Nvidia would wait it out until they get to a lower manufacturing node to fit more Cuda cores and higher clocks in.

Is $500+ considered mainstream now? Wasn't it around $200-$300 when Pascal launched?
I got my Fermi GTX 480 when it was the top card for $350. Launch MSRP was like $499 and it dropped pretty quickly.

I got my Fermi GTX 480 when it was the top card for $350. Launch MSRP was like $499 and it dropped pretty quickly.
That's because Nvidia actually had competition ;)

Left to compete with themselves, they just put silly markups on everything.

what are you smoking? the newer rtx 2070 is not a rebranded 1080.

It actually is. It's a refresh of Pascal with added Tensor and RTX cores for the gimmick features. They are selling the 2070 at the msrp of a 1080 prior to announcement. Same gaming performance when you don't include the use of the new cores, which even then the new GPUs struggle at handling RTX and DLSS anyways.

That's means mid November people will get hands on this card I think. I might consider gtx980 to rtx2070 if I I find performance upgrade big enough. If the card is 500, and I will sell my 980 for 150-200 hopefully. Then hopefully, I will have to pay 300 dollars for this upgrade. At least 40% more in most games will be what I am expecting.

It actually is. It's a refresh of Pascal with added Tensor and RTX cores for the gimmick features. They are selling the 2070 at the msrp of a 1080 prior to announcement. Same gaming performance when you don't include the use of the new cores, which even then the new GPUs struggle at handling RTX and DLSS anyways.
Come on man, you do realize you're commenting on a tech website that reviewed the 2080 and 2080Ti? The 2080 performs ever so slightly under or over (depending on game) the 1080Ti with 600 odd cores missing, there clearly was an architecture update...

Edit: Just realized you also have no idea what DLSS is so here's Digital Foundry's Testing to show the 40% performance increase by using it:

TL;DR - With DLSS enabled at 4k res, the 2080 can outperform the 2080Ti using normal anti-aliasing

Last edited:
There are no games out that support RTX. Nvidia put the cart before the horse on this whole launch.

"Check out these sick rims I got for my car that I don't even have yet, and won't have for months!"

Best comment of the week or even month ha ha.

Back