Nvidia looks set to reduce graphics card prices even further

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Gamers who were once forced to beg and sell vital organs if they wanted a graphics card are now facing a situation where they're almost spoilt for choice—and things could get even better. According to new reports, Nvidia is working with board partners to reduce the price of its cards even further this month as the arrival of the RTX 4000 series, aka Ada Lovelace, draws ever closer.

The current graphics card market is a total contrast to the shambolic state that gamers had to endure since Ampere launched almost two years ago. The chip crisis and unprecedented demand from both gamers and miners combined to push up selling prices, which at one point were 200% above MSRP.

Things have changed drastically over the last couple of months, of course, helped in no small measure by the crypto crash. With Lovelace expected to arrive in September or October, Nvidia is dropping prices as it tries to clear out an excess of GPU stock, a problem that's especially apparent in higher-end models such as the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090. Cards have now fallen below MSRP in many countries, and their prices keep on dropping.

According to reports from two Chinese sources (via VideoCardz), Nvidia will be working with partners to further reduce the prices of their graphics cards. Zol writes that the company is taking "aggressive actions" to cut prices at the end of August, and it wants the discounts to be deeper than AMD's, which is expected to take similar actions.

Once again, the RTX 3090 and 3090 Ti are said to be receiving some of the biggest price drops; Nvidia previously knocked $400 off the latter card's $1,999 MSRP (Founders Edition). That makes sense as team green is thought to have so many excess GPUs that it is restarting production of the RTX 3080 12GB. The card, which Nvidia stopped producing as it tried to shift more 10GB variants, sports defective GA102 GPUs unsuitable for use in the RTX 3080 Ti and RTX 3090s.

With AMD also set to drop the prices of its cards, gamers are now facing the dilemma of whether to buy now, wait for the current generation to get even cheaper, or splash out on an RTX 4000/Radeon RX 7000 card when they arrive. Given that the RTX 4070's performance is said to match the RTX 3090 Ti, it's not an easy decision to make.

Permalink to story.

To me it's a really easy decision. Wait for the 4070. That is, unless you can pick up a 3080 12GB for around $600 bucks, or less. But why spend $600 on a 3080 when the 4070 will likely be around that mark, and outperform it by a nice margin!

To me it's a really easy decision. Wait for the 4070. That is, unless you can pick up a 3080 12GB for around $600 bucks, or less. But why spend $600 on a 3080 when the 4070 will likely be around that mark, and outperform it by a nice margin!

I wouldn't say a nice margin, solely based off rumors, the 4070 may be about as fast as a 3090. If that's the case, you're looking at maybe a 15% performance boost based on the fact that a 3080 is around 15% behind a 3090. In the end we certainly see an improvement, but it's not that impressive based on how much hype was built up. But, we are left waiting for reviews to see for sure how much of an improvement comes with Lovelace and maybe we'll be in for a nice surprise that the margin of performance is greater than 15%.

Hopefully if Nvidia can push out more chips for 3080 12GB it may help drop prices more because right now I'm seeing the 10GB and 12GB versions for $800-1100 still. I'd love to see these cards in the $500-600 range, but it probably never get there.

At this point, I'm vindictive towards nVidia. I'll consider buying a 3080 when I can get one new for less than $300. That is where this card should be, imo, at this stage in its life.

The 3080Ti is £900 here in the UK. Once it gets down to £700 and averages around the £750ish price range I would be tempted.

No consumer GPU released to date is worth more than £1000. Everything has been priced wrong since the 20xx series.

Personally, while I would like it to happen, I think it is very wishful thinking that a 4070 will come in around $600. IMO, nVidia just wants to dump current stock onto those "suckers" willing to buy now instead of waiting for a 4XXX card. My bet is that when the 4XXX cards arrive, they will come in at a significant premium to current prices if not above the MSRPs of the previous generation of cards.

After all, this is nVidia we are talking about - they only care about one thing - profit.

Personally, while I would like it to happen, I think it is very wishful thinking that a 4070 will come in around $600. IMO, nVidia just wants to dump current stock onto those "suckers" willing to buy now instead of waiting for a 4XXX card. My bet is that when the 4XXX cards arrive, they will come in at a significant premium to current prices if not above the MSRPs of the previous generation of cards.

After all, this is nVidia we are talking about - they only care about one thing - profit.
I'm afriad you are probably correct on the pricing. But I'm hopeful. But about profit, they all care about one thing, profit. As soon as they have to answer to shareholders, everything goes to sh^t. I think going public is a great way to raise capital, but also a great way to watch the push for profit over quality take control.

I'm still waiting or miners to stop buying "miners special" 3060 with 12 gb ram, so thy can drop the dual-fan cards below $400

https://www.amazon.com/RTX-3060/s?k=RTX+3060

I'll buy these cards for half the current price, but otherwise I'll just wait for a 4050 to ,exceed it fir $250.

Interesting to see that the 3060 I bought is... exactly the same price as I paid for it in May at $410.

Still, don't regret the purchase as reasonably performing GPU vs 10th Gen Intel iGPU had finally let me play again for the first time in 3 years since I sold my GTX970.

It would be nice if their original line up (the ones with the nice msrp that reviewers fell for) reached msrp first. In the US, the 3050, 3060 (Ti), 3070 and 3080 are still over msrp.

We‘re now almost two years after Ampere launched and the majority are still over msrp…

CRASH! The current market is payback for over 2 years of price gouging via grossly inflated MSRP's and scalpers.

I'm wating for 5060 or 6060 to upgrade current 2060. 3060 it's no upgrade at 15-18% better perf.
1060 to 2060 was 35-40% increase, but it was 20% more money

We've had years of price gouging. I'll buy if the 3000 cards go for 80% of MSRP and new 4000 cards appear within 10% of previous gen MSRP otherwise I'll just continue to spend my money on other things.

The 3080 would need to be $400 or less for me to even consider it. 4070 will smack it senseless for less than $600, maybe $549. Same applies to 6900XT, 7700XT will beat it at a lower price, so old gen will need to be significantly cheaper than MSRP. For AMD especially RT will be much better on RDNA3 and no more gimped bus, 384 bit and 320 bit for the Navi 31 cards and 256bit for the Navi 32 cards.

I've waited almost 2 years to upgrade my video card and I'm willing to wait another year if I must. I don't care how low the price of current get cards gets, I'm not letting nVidia off the hook. Let all their current stock rot in a warehouse, they deserve it. I'll wait 6 months after the next gen cards come out to see if prices are decent. But that's just me.

I've waited almost 2 years to upgrade my video card and I'm willing to wait another year if I must. I don't care how low the price of current get cards gets, I'm not letting nVidia off the hook. Let all their current stock rot in a warehouse, they deserve it. I'll wait 6 months after the next gen cards come out to see if prices are decent. But that's just me.
Not just you. Buying their old tech now, will reward them for their shaitty behavior. People are afraid the 4000 series will be equally expansive. I dare you Nvidia! They're sitting on a massive loss right now with a big stockpile of last gen cards and they need our money badly. But demand is low, most people have already upgraded. So, bad pricing and gamers that still wait will tell them to fxck off once again.

There is no guarantee there will be wide spread availability of new video cards. The 4070, or whatever it's going to be called, may have plenty of stock when it launches, but it might sell out in seconds and not be restocked at or near MSRP for two years.

Not just you. Buying their old tech now, will reward them for their shaitty behavior. People are afraid the 4000 series will be equally expansive. I dare you Nvidia! They're sitting on a massive loss right now with a big stockpile of last gen cards and they need our money badly. But demand is low, most people have already upgraded. So, bad pricing and gamers that still wait will tell them to fxck off once again.
Demand was sky high and supply couldn't keep up. I don't see why you are mad at NVIDIA while AMD's cards were overpriced, too. I was able to buy a 3090 FE from NVIDIA's EU designated supplier at MSRP. I was never able to buy a card directly from AMD and I tried for 12-18 months. I'm not saying that either company is good or bad. High prices, high demand, and limited stock wasn't either companies fault it was a matter of business and we got screwed by all the people buying video cards at many times the price.

There is no guarantee there will be wide spread availability of new video cards. The 4070, or whatever it's going to be called, may have plenty of stock when it launches, but it might sell out in seconds and not be restocked at or near MSRP for two years.
Now you are talking about my luck. I always miss the sales, deals and releases. Maybe because I'm so cheap. I always second guess whatever I put in my cart, and ultimately think about it and delete it. Don't want to blow my money.

Now you are talking about my luck. I always miss the sales, deals and releases. Maybe because I'm so cheap. I always second guess whatever I put in my cart, and ultimately think about it and delete it. Don't want to blow my money.
I had money for a card in the price range of a 3070/6800/6800 XT and I couldn't click fast enough to get one the day they released....stop dredging up painful memories!

Back