Nvidia quietly intros first GeForce 300-series graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Nvidia has quietly introduced its first GeForce 300-series graphics card -- but don't get too excited. The GeForce 310 is more or less a rebranded GeForce 210. It uses current generation Nvidia parts and doesn't appear to implement any new technology -- not even DirectX 11 -- meaning that the company's much anticipated Fermi architecture remains dormant.

Like the GeForce 210, the 310 offers a basic upgrade from an integrated graphics chip, but isn't an ideal solution for gaming with only 16 CUDA cores and a 64-bit memory bus. Other specifications include a 589MHz graphics clock, a 1402MHz processor clock, 512MB of DDR2 VRAM running at 500MHz, DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL 3.1 support, a maximum digital resolution of 2560x1600, and connectors for DVI, VGA, as well as DisplayPort.

While it may not be a Fermi-based card and isn't adequate for enthusiast-level gaming, the GeForce 310 should prove sufficient for 1080p video and general-purpose computing. Nvidia has yet to disclose a release date.

Permalink to story.

and here I was just reading up on the new ati card Radeon HD 5970. But seriously now Nvidia, what was the point of this card, Is it targeted towards more of a corporate client that needs a slightly beefer workstation or is this supposed to confuse people into buying another gpu thinking that they are getting top end?

nVidia and their retarded rebranding / naming system, it just sickens me!
A 8800GTS 512MB is a 9800GTX+ is a GTS 250M is a Geforce 3xx...?
Are they really that lame that instead of developing new products they simply rebrand whatever they find in their stock nowdays? Sure seems so I must say!

"On April 1, 2008 the GeForce 9800 GTX was officially launched. It was basically an 8800 GTS 512MB with two SLI connectors, higher clock speeds, and support for Nvidia Hybrid Power"

"The GTS 250 is basically a 55nm G92b based 9800 GTX+ GPU on a new P361 PCB and internally Nvidia calls it D10P2. The differences are mainly on the power design; the core and memory speeds are identical to the 9800 GTX+ but power consumption has been lowered. However, not all GTS 250's have these improvements. Some of the earlier GTS 250's were merely rebranded 9800 GTX+ video cards."

Lol nvidia now this is funny doesnt even release a real 300 series card. i dont understand why they rebrand cards so much it isnt fair to the consumer.

That's sad... this is like the lamest thing I've seen them do in a long while. Just re-brand a current gen low-end card to get a few more sells....

This is not a 300 at best its a 210.5 or 215.

Just sad.

I can't see the point of re-badgeing a 210 to a 3xx. When the higher end cards are released it will make consumers sceptical as to whether they are getting something new, or an old card with a different BIOS - if you're lucky!

No wonder it was quietly released!

"A 8800GTS 512MB is a 9800GTX+ is a GTS 250M is a Geforce 3xx...?"
They are marginal improvements over their ancestors, and good cards.

I really wish Nvidia would actually release some new technology instead of just re branding everything like they have for the past 2 and a half years.

pgbsamurai said:
I really wish Nvidia would actually release some new technology instead of just re branding everything like they have for the past 2 and a half years.

Agreed. Its one of those "Hey look we do have a 3XX Series card on the market, no wait its just another card we already have that ins't selling anymore but thing we can get away with renaming it..." If I had money I would be buying a 5870, I've almost had enough of this crap from Nvidia.

The first card of a new series should be everything but this... is the "boom", its the prelude of what's coming for the next year... and I don't mean It should be a $600 card... it could be a $100 card, with excellent price/performance ratio... BTW,I know the 300 series is going to be amazing, but it was just a big mistake to brand this card as the start of the this campaign...

Mmmm I'm adding myself into the group of people asking what the heck is the deal in here, so it's basicly an above integrated chipset video card with a... fan?? Is that it??

Wow... I'm still in love with my ATI HD2600XT! :)

There are older and cheaper cards, that apparently and according to the description here give should work way better. I'm still wondering what the heck happened here.

I reckon all this is just another piece of individually useless news "very low performance card" is just a way to keep people reminded about their next-big-thing and push some Nvidia news in the front which will serve the same purpose

Hahahahahahaha

Only reason they do this is so when people who don't have a clue about pc parts
and buy whole complete systems, I can guarantee in cheap systems this card will be
used and clueless people will think it's a good card from the next generation
This is literally a scam for dumb people

Seriously, if they sell six of these it'll be a miracle. It will also be the six dumbest shoppers around.

I'm sure someone will "upgrade " their old 210 with this 310.

"Hey look we've got a new Geforce 350! Oh wait.... it's the 8800 again...."

Silly guys.

I have a few friends who would buy this on the spot thinking it's the latest and greatest from them... poor blokes.

It really does resemble my 6200 at a glance. XD

WTF come on Nvidia i always went and brought your GPUs but i have just brought a ATI 5870 because i can't stand waiting on something that is vapor ware and your rebranding of old cards as to stop!!!!! its geting very old.

hahaaa this is joke or what from nvidia?everybody were expecting big,powerful beast as 300 series and look what they came out with.We have a saying in our country like you dig hills for gold and all we found is mice.hahaaaa

I thought that this was a hi-end card jaja I was wrong, maybe NVIDIA is having second thougnts about getting their new cards on the market, with the current cards by AMD it is going to be difficult to recover the lead.

I agree with most of you up there, One thing that made me decide on an AMD besed card was the way in which NVIDIA names their cards, its just complicated, now I'm waitibg for tomorrow to run and get a new 5870 :)

What about the cost for this thing? Whatever the case its probably gonna be cheap, nice specs for a typical workstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back