Nvidia RTX 3000 series availability

sac39507

Does anyone know what the deal is with the lack of availability of the Nvidia RTX 3000 series graphics cards? I've not seen anything in the news about low supply due to shortage of raw materials or reduced production due to Covid. What's really going on? I can't imagine more people are financially capable of making $600 - $2K purchases than they were before this year considering it's all over the news that people are unemployed in record numbers and the economy is terrible (but then again, who believes the news right?). Some insider information would be nice.

All I know about it is that you have a situation where a LOT of gamers held off buying the RTX 20 series and they kept their GTX 1060, 1070 &1080s going. The RTX 2000 series brought some increased performance but most gamers saw that it wasn't going to be a huge leap unless you really wanted Ray Tracing or DLSS (I did so I got a RTX 2080 when they first came out).

Now we come to the launch of the RTX 3080 & 3090. A huge increase in performance. A 30-50% bump AND a reduction in price. Then a RTX 3070 and a 3060Ti comes out. The 3060Ti is $400USD and equals the performance of the RTX 2080 for>>> less money then the RTX 2080 sold for.

You think they would sell now? Oh yes! Then the speculators that were buying PS5 and the new XBOXs and reselling them on Craigslist and Ebay caught wind of them and bought them all up for resale at inflated prices. To make matters worse AMD has been killing it with the Ryzen processors and they just launched Zen 3 on the new Ryzen 5000 processors and the dang scammers bought up those too. They are using software to buy the products before you can get them into your cart and checkout. You have to shop online because it's a pandemic out there so there is that problem, no buddy down at Best Buy is going to help you. Everyone is home and bored and we all want the same thing.

The Electronic retailers are starting to play games too like bundling cards with stuff they can't get rid of and and good chunk of the cards are being slipped into cases to sell full systems at a premium price to get rid of Intel processors that have been losing ground to Ryzen.

The semiconductor industry can't keep up with demand for the chips that goes into the cards namely: Samsung and TSMC. Oh and one other thing. Bitcoin hit $23,000 (Edit: Now over $30,000) so people want the top cards for coin mining again where electricity is cheap. To add insult to injury a couple good games come out where you could really use the extra oomph under hood (CyberPunk 2077 and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020). That further builds up some more demand. Even the RTX 3090 at MSRP looks like a good buy when you compare it to inflated RTX 2080 on the gray market.

Last edited:
Back