Nvidia RTX 4090 leaks suggest the card is now in production, will be first Lovelace GPU...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? We know that the launch of the first RTX 4000 cards, or card, is likely less than two months away. There have been plenty of rumors and speculation about some of Lovelace's high-end GPUs, but are they actually in production? According to leaked documents, at least one of Nvidia's next-gen lineup is being manufactured. Interestingly, it's the RTX 4090, which was previously rumored to be the first in the series to arrive, and possibly the only one landing this year.

The documents, allegedly from a Chinese graphics card manufacturing factory, were spotted on Baidu by @harukaze5719. They appear to show four production slots for the RTX 4090 alongside an August 16 date, probably the production start date. The last column showing the date they will be ready is cut off, though it's possible to see that the month is down as August.

There are some specs in the document. The RTX 4090 is listed as using the AD102 GPU and 24GB of VRAM, along with four display outputs consisting of three DisplayPorts and one HDMI. However, the column that shows the number of boards being produced is empty.

We've heard plenty of rumors about the RTX 4090, including claims that it could be twice as fast as the RTX 3090, with 56% more CUDA cores than its predecessor.

While leaks like these should always be taken with a heavy dose of salt, it does line up with previous Ada Lovelace rumors. Back in May, regular leaker Kopite7kimi said the RTX 4090 would launch first, followed by the RTX 4080, then the RTX 4070.

There was also the claim from another prolific leaker, Greymon55, who in July said the RTX 4090 would be the only Lovelace card to launch this year, with the rest of the line—those with GPUs under the AD102—arriving after 2022.

The RTX 4000 series is expected to be announced in September at GTC and land this October. Nvidia keeps reducing the prices of its current-gen cards as it looks to clear stock before their successors' launch, so gamers are now faced with the dilemma of whether to buy now or wait until Lovelace.

Another RTX 4000 rumor this week claimed the RTX 4080 specs had been revised. The card is now said to feature 16GB of 23 Gbps GDRR6X memory, faster than previously thought, and a 340W TBP.

Permalink to story.

There should be 4080 this year as well, a the new skus typically take two months to finish-up. 4070 uses a different chip, so maybe CES?

The 256-bit bus means the card will require a different PCB, but its not like 340w is all that far from the ludicrous 3070 ti's 290w!

AMD and nVidia REALLY need to do drastic price cuts to the 3000 series cards. I'm talking at least 25% from current pricing. AT LEAST.

AMD and nVidia REALLY need to do drastic price cuts to the 3000 series cards. I'm talking at least 25% from current pricing. AT LEAST.
Not sure why they would do that now. The cards seem to be selling well, or well enough. Once the 40xx series hits, you may see price reductions, but I don't see 25% coming off until the full 40 series is out there.

Not sure why they would do that now. The cards seem to be selling well, or well enough. Once the 40xx series hits, you may see price reductions, but I don't see 25% coming off until the full 40 series is out there.
I don't either.. Maybe it's wishful thinking to get a decent deal on a card for my daughter.

once the proof of stake launches in September, they will stop selling the "mining special" 3060 cards overnight; but as-of today, most of these cards are 20% over msrp.

The only reason why the 3060 doesn't get trounced y the RX 6600 is because large miners would rather stay until the very last minute - the moment the miners dissapear, so will the continued demand.

Last edited:
As we near the launch of the 40xx generation, it would be interesting to do an article looking back on the claims made at the launch of the previous generation. The marketing hype worked on me and I bought a 3080 a few months later (following one of the most frustrating purchase processes I can recall.)

Claim: $699 price. Reality: I paid 40% more. It's only now at the end where that price is real.

Claim: DirectStorage. Reality: VaporWare. I do not have a single game that uses it. I'm not even sure there is one yet.

Claim: mainstream Ray Tracing. Reality: I went out of my way to play a couple games that supposedly took good advantage of it. I didn't really notice any difference and I think I've either had it switched off or it wasn't even supported on all the regular games I play.

Claim: 4K gaming. Reality: Close enough for me. I didn't expect to game at 4K this generation but I ended up loving a 5120x1440 ultrawide so the raw raster capabilities of the 3080 came in handy.

Claim: other advanced technologies - I remember there being some impressive creator tools demoed at launch although I forget the details. Reality: not sure if these had any impact on me?

Other than price my personal review is still positive just for raw traditional raster horsepower, which is probably the only attribute I'll take seriously for this next generation too.

Hunh..?
You do realize that in about 40 days AMD is releasing the RX7000 series GPUs... ?

Used or outdated RTX3000 series cards will drop huge in price. The 3080ti is already $859 in some places. They will be much cheaper in 2 months... bcz RTX3k is all nVidia has to sell against AMD's new card, due to delay their RTX4000 Series until mid-december.

Hence, the RTX 4ks series won't dictate the RTX 3k series prices, AMD's Radeon 7k Series will.

Last edited:
Hunh..?
You do realize that in about 40 days AMD is releasing the RX7000 series GPUs... ?

Used or outdated RTX3000 series cards will drop huge in price. The 3080ti is already $859 in some places. They will be much cheaper in 2 months... bcz RTX3k is all nVidia has to sell against AMD's new card, due to delay their RTX4000 Series until mid-december.

Hence, the RTX 4ks series won't dictate the RTX 3k series prices, AMD's Radeon 7k Series will.
It's possible, to be sure. But one would think that if this were universally true that Nvidia would reduce prices now given that at certain price points current AMD cards appear to have better performance.

As with any unreleased products, we have a lot of rumor but nothing you can hang your hat on yet. I've seen reports indicating huge performance gains but also huge price increases. I suspect pricing from both companies to fall into line base on performance. In other words, you're not going to get a card that does 2x what a 3090 can do at half the price.

It's possible, to be sure. But one would think that if this were universally true that Nvidia would reduce prices now given that at certain price points current AMD cards appear to have better performance.

As with any unreleased products, we have a lot of rumor but nothing you can hang your hat on yet. I've seen reports indicating huge performance gains but also huge price increases. I suspect pricing from both companies to fall into line base on performance. In other words, you're not going to get a card that does 2x what a 3090 can do at half the price.

Nvidia is already pricing their cards under AMD right now.

AND (as mentioned) will be getting an even bigger drop in price in a few weeks because (again) RTX3k series can't compete with Radeon 7k series on performance, so they will have to on price.

The Radeon 7700 is equivalent to a 3090 in gaming and will cost about $700... so what do you think the 3080 will be worth in 40 days??

Rumours are Nvidia will announce fresh price drops on the current products by the end of the month. I'll believe it when I see it though.

I'd be tempted into a purchase if there was a good discount on offer. There's just a lot we don't know about atm. Release dates, performance estimates, price and stock estimates for the new team Red and Green products. ETH proof of stake launch and the impact on the second hand market.

The rumours are all pointing towards a more favourable scenario for consumers, but prices have remained stubbornly high.

Rumours are Nvidia will announce fresh price drops on the current products by the end of the month. I'll believe it when I see it though.

I'd be tempted into a purchase if there was a good discount on offer. There's just a lot we don't know about atm. Release dates, performance estimates, price and stock estimates for the new team Red and Green products. ETH proof of stake launch and the impact on the second hand market.

The rumours are all pointing towards a more favourable scenario for consumers, but prices have remained stubbornly high.
Already seeing some downward movement on GPU prices. I've been looking at 3080 12G cards and seeing sub $799 prices, at least one as low as $735 or so. Hopefully another $25-50 will come off in the next week, so I can order my GPU for my new build.

Nvidia is already pricing their cards under AMD right now.

AND (as mentioned) will be getting an even bigger drop in price in a few weeks because (again) RTX3k series can't compete with Radeon 7k series on performance, so they will have to on price.

The Radeon 7700 is equivalent to a 3090 in gaming and will cost about $700... so what do you think the 3080 will be worth in 40 days??
Well, the RX7700 isn't out yet, so we'll have to see where it lands.
As of today, the RX6950 XT is comparable to 3090/3080Ti. The 3090 is about $80 more and the 3080Ti is about $80 less, so it seems like they have that pretty well bracketed.

The 3080 and 6900 XT have similar price and performance, so they seem spot on there as well.

I suspect 3080 prices will drop, but not until we see 4xxx prices. Then we will see if Nvidia can improve the price/performance of the high-end cards.

ETH has nothing to do with these GPUs....
Well, the RX7700 isn't out yet, so we'll have to see where it lands.
As of today, the RX6950 XT is comparable to 3090/3080Ti. The 3090 is about $80 more and the 3080Ti is about $80 less, so it seems like they have that pretty well bracketed.

The 3080 and 6900 XT have similar price and performance, so they seem spot on there as well.

I suspect 3080 prices will drop, but not until we see 4xxx prices. Then we will see if Nvidia can improve the price/performance of the high-end cards.
hunh?

Again, we do know the specs of the Radeon 7700 and other chips. We know the 7700xt is comparable in spec to the 6900xt... even though we don't know their exact performance.

As you said, we know what the 6900xt competes with, and also it's current price. We also know the relative price of the 7700XT... (said to be $100 more than the 6700xt.) which is currently around $450 bucks... So we expect the 7700xt to be around $599..!

We know the Radeon RX 7000 series comes out in late October...

THAT^^ (again) is why nVidia is -right now- is lower prices and about to lower prices even more.. Because in a few short months, the 3080ti will be competing in sales with a 7700xt... which is $200 cheaper and uses less power.

ETH has nothing to do with these GPUs....

hunh?

Again, we do know the specs of the Radeon 7700 and other chips. We know the 7700xt is comparable in spec to the 6900xt... even though we don't know their exact performance.

As you said, we know what the 6900xt competes with, and also it's current price. We also know the relative price of the 7700XT... (said to be $100 more than the 6700xt.) which is currently around $450 bucks... So we expect the 7700xt to be around $599..!

We know the Radeon RX 7000 series comes out in late October...

THAT^^ (again) is why nVidia is -right now- is lower prices and about to lower prices even more.. Because in a few short months, the 3080ti will be competing in sales with a 7700xt... which is $200 cheaper and uses less power.
Other than the price drops from the pandemic/miner insanity, I'm not seeing huge price drops on the 3080 cards. I've been watching them for nearly a month now. They mostly seem to be sitting around $799 for 12G 3080. Ti cards seem to be all over the map. I've occasionally seen them advertised around $999 but usually over $1K in price.

I would love to see more movement in price and I am holding for a bit to see if things clear up. AMD has made some pretty good promises for the new cards. Hopefully, they can deliver on those promises.

Back