Nvidia rumored to be working on a GTX 1070 Ti

midian182

Staff member

Could Nvidia be working on a refreshed, Ti version of the GTX 1070? While it may sound unlikely, several sites have made the claim today, but it’s still best to take it with a large grain of salt.

Chinese sources have posted a (very blurry) photo purportedly showing some system specs that include an ASUS GTX 1070 Ti STRIX O8G as one of the components. This could, of course, be anything from a simple typo to a full-on fake.

There has, however, been another rumor of the card’s existence from TechPowerUp, which it claims comes from “well-placed sources” and not the image above. It says the number of GTX 1070 Ti CUDA cores would increase from 1920 to around 2048 or more (some sites go as high as 2304), which would put it close to the 1080’s 2560 cores. Its memory may be upgraded to 9 Gbps GDDR5 or even an optimistic 10 Gbps GDDR5X, while core and boost clock speeds would also likely be increased.

If Nvidia really was to follow up the 1050 Ti and 1080 Ti with a third 10-series Ti card, it could be as a response to the RX Vega 56. Our own tests across 25 games showed AMD’s GPU was able to match the GTX 1070, and it did offer slightly better performance in some cases (and slightly lower fps in others). With the 1070 Ti, Nvidia may be looking to build a card that’s noticeably better than Vega 56 but cheaper than its own GTX 1080.

We’ll have to wait and see whether this all turns out to be true, or if it ends up in the same rumor bin as the GTX 1060 Ti.

Permalink to story.

This doesn't make sense to me at first glance. The suggestion seems to be that a 1070Ti would better position Nvidia against Vega 56 by filling the price/performance gap that exists between the 1070 and the 1080.

Why not just lower the price of the regular 1080?

The key here is that GDDR5X is not great for cryptocurrency mining and the fact that Nvidia may have a surplus of 1080 GPUs with dies that aren't good enough for production of GTX 1080s. The point of this may be so that you can actually go buy a good value high end GPU and to clear Nvidia's waste product.

This doesn't make sense to me at first glance. The suggestion seems to be that a 1070Ti would better position Nvidia against Vega 56 by filling the price/performance gap that exists between the 1070 and the 1080.

I tend to agree with you but that could put a dull sheen on the 1080's mythical lustre. I think a 1070 Ti is unlikely but certainly not beyond the realms of possibility. Anyway if nVidia aren't yet ready to retire the Pascal architecture then why not juice it up a bit...

The key here is that GDDR5X is not great for cryptocurrency mining and the fact that Nvidia may have a surplus of 1080 GPUs with dies that aren't good enough for production of GTX 1080s. The point of this may be so that you can actually go buy a good value high end GPU and to clear Nvidia's waste product.
nvidia already does that with the GTX1070.

But I do think a GTX1070Ti could be in the works. The gap between the 1070 and 1080 is considerable. And I don't think nvidia likes to loose to AMD in any market segment. An OC 1070 tips the balance more favorably against Vega56, so giving it extra cores and faster memory would make it a vega56 killer.

Margins. Profit. Cause they can. Puts the ball in AMD 's court....

This reminds me of when the 200 series went up against the 4000 series.

GTX 270, 275 (added later), 280, 285 (added later)
VS.
4850, 4870, 4890

Can you please send this to Nvidia. Why create another tier of Gpus over $400 when slight price drops would be the best answer. The 1070 already rivals Vega 56 dropping the price would make it look that much better and a price drop on the 1080 would put a card in the in between category that has performance ~ahead of the Vega 64 at a more attractive price.

I hope Nvidia does go through with this. All it can do is force more competition with AMD, which is a good thing for both companies. Competition will benefit us consumers.

nvidia already does that with the GTX1070.

But I do think a GTX1070Ti could be in the works. The gap between the 1070 and 1080 is considerable. And I don't think nvidia likes to loose to AMD in any market segment. An OC 1070 tips the balance more favorably against Vega56, so giving it extra cores and faster memory would make it a vega56 killer.

Not quite as the current 1070 still uses GDDR5 non X. I'd say the current 1070 is the only weak spot in Nvidia's portfolio since the RX 580 is nowhere to be found and Vega 64 is still duking it out with the 1080.

I saw these rumours last week and really so much doesn't add up in my mind. For one the name of the card being a Asus rog strix would inply that 3rd parties are already creating their libe of stuff with these cards, but doesnt nvidia usually announce a card first then the third parties get a hold of it?

The price point between a 1070 and a 1080 is already pretty close. I just built a new system, and here in AUSTRALIA (Hence the high prices) it was roughly $700 for the base 1070 and $800 for the base 1080, so what a 1070ti would sit in the $50 less then a 1080 range? Anyone would just pick a 1080 then.

And it being all in chinese.... not being racist but many things don't usually translate very well so it's super easy that the 1070 could have been a 1080

Back