Nvidia Tegra 2 to double performance, arrive next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Nvidia's Tegra has gained a decent amount of popularity in recent months. It currently forms the brains of Microsoft’s Zune HD and is poised to capitalize on smartphones too. With the company hoping its system-on-a-chip product to account for as much as 50% of their revenue in the next few years, it comes as no real surprise to learn a successor is already on the works.

According to Fudzilla's “high ranking industry sources,” Tegra 2 is expected to drop in 2010 with basically twice the computational and graphics power of its predecessor. The updated chip will reportedly feature a dual-core ARM9 CPU, whereas the existing Tegra uses the ARM11 platform, and GeForce 9 based dual GPUs for a superior graphic performance and perhaps mobile PhysX.

As expected, the main target for this new chip will be the smartphone market, but Nvidia also hopes to draw interest from the automotive industry, media-player segment and other portable electronic manufacturers.

Permalink to story.

There is a shortage in the video card area industry, and now they will only make them "double" the power.

Maybe the shortage won't be for long and people will wait for this.

These kinds of system-on-a-chip chips should be made public as well, just think of what the electronic grads could come up with these kind of things, but these chips are made and then sold to the big players of the market and are never really exploited by the general public.

we just need a decent small laptop-cum-netbook which would replace mobile phones and laptops both, the Nokia laptop (I don't remember its name) is a great step in this way, but more work needs too be done...

That's awesome! It would be great if Nintendo's next handheld system was packing one of these instead of the current Tegra, or even a Zune HD refresh. I find it kind of hard to believe anyone would need PhysX on a cell phone however!

Tegra 2 is good news for everyone even if your not getting it, NVIDIA is setting a higher standard for low profile devices, much like what they are doing with Ion for netbooks and nettops. The industry needs this or it will just stay in low solutions forever,,, look what Intel does with the Atom they sell it for cheap when you buy there subpar graphics solution along side. People aren't stupid they want whats better and NVIDIA has answered them.

I have always liked Nvidia and the past few years have only made me grow fonder of them. Not that I would ever discount ATIs efforts, but I WOULD discount intel's efforts as far as graphics go...

Forget the SLI for Christmas. I am waiting to see this! Man with ever increasing power of GPU's games will look more like reality soon. Japan (go figure) is already working on it.

pioneerx01 said:
Forget the SLI for Christmas. I am waiting to see this! Man with ever increasing power of GPU's games will look more like reality soon. Japan (go figure) is already working on it.

I think your looking at this wrong. Its not a replacement for your desktops video card, and won't double your performance there. This is for mobile phones, netbooks, and possibly things like nav systems in cars down the road. Stick with SLI if thats what you want for your desktop :) ..i assume that's what you were talking about anyways.

This is the future of Nvidia's business model. Integrated smart form and multi-media chips is where the future demand will be. AMD is also trying to make ground here but the Nvidia chips are at the moment more energy efficient with more graphics power.

Nvidia mentioned on their earnings call yesterday that they're working on over 50 Tegra projects. Should be a bunch more Tegra-based devices coming out over the next quarter or two.

It would be really cool to have a mobile phone capable of running HD. Just imagine traveling a lot, you arrive at the hotel, you plug your phone and watch a HD movie: quality and quantity in a nice small pack.

I can see mobile gaming being the future, imagine commuters playing a game of rock band with each other on the train to work. Makes you almost want to go to work in the morning lol.

@lxtrix:
no one knows what the next Wii is gonna look like. and Nintendo like it that way. all we know is that it's about a year off, and Nintendo has said they aren't going to officially confirm, deny, or provide specs of, until about a month before it's release in the "4th quarter of 2010" (AKA: just in time for Christmas)
anyway, as stated by several people, Tegra is a mobile platform. while powerful for it's category, it's nothing compared to a full non-mobile (or even a laptop version) of a processor or GPU. I currently have a zHD, and I can say I'm very impressed by it's power. I can run 3D games (some from Microsoft, some 3rd party) just fine. I haven't had a chance to try the HD output yet (no AV dock), but I did throw on a 720p movie and it played just fine, with no lag (meaning it decoded it down to standard format on the fly just fine).

Always good to hear that performance is getting better, but by double, wow. Thats a really noticeable improvement, now if I could only stick it in my new sidekick, that thing is slow. With things getting so small and better, the laptops we have now might fit in our pockets in 20 years.

I would really like, an smartphone powered by a chipset like this, with some support from Microsoft on the gaming part, you could have a winning combination.... the HD decoding part is OK, if you have HDMI connector on your terminal, on a small form screen, the big resolution doesn't make a real difference.

Will be curious to see what devices are going to be using this. It does seem like it is probable that desicated handheld gaming devices are going to soon be a causualty of powerfull having enabled smat phones. Or maybe nintendo will release a ds phone ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back