Nvidia unveils Geforce GTX 700M GPUs, 780M claims fastest mobile graphics

Rick

Not to be outdone by its arch-nemesis AMD, Nvidia has launched a fresh volley of mobile Geforce GTX 700M GPUs, namely the GTX 760M, 765M, 770M and 780M. Nvidia claims its GTX 780M is the fastest mobile GPU in existence,...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/52754-nvidia-unveils-geforce-gtx-700m-gpus-780m-claims-fastest-mobile-graphics.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

Skidmarksdeluxe

Yeah but all this comes at a price that far exceeds a 'normal' up to date gaming desktop which can also play those games at the same resolution.

Reactions: ghasmanjr

Jad Chaar

I think nVidia should have just made the GTX 760M have equal clock speeds to the 765M (and thus eliminate it) to reduce confusion.

Jad Chaar

Pointless to have a GTX 760M and 765M but that's NVIDIA for you.
Seriously though, why would someone make a variation of a card that has a higher clock and not call it the next generation, but instead name it as a higher end card...

EEatGDL

I don't know, but I'm more than satisfied with my GT 540M for casual gaming (no way I'll pay above $2000 to play something that you can run on desktop with ~$700); that's what my desktop PC is for. I mean, my notebook can run Crysis 3 at minimum presets nicely -which I only tried during the BETA- and is where I play XCOM or Kane's Wrath (both maxed out) when not at home in the chances I rarely get.

dividebyzero

Seriously though, why would someone make a variation of a card that has a higher clock and not call it the next generation, but instead name it as a higher end card...
Mobile GPUs are OEM orientated. The OEM determine power envelope by whatever BIOS parameters are set to allow for a myriad of CPU and GPU combinations within the same design and power consumption, and/or other features. The 760M is set at a lower clock than the 765M probably to facilitate the lower operating voltage, lower thermal envelope, less expensive heatsinking. Having two distinct models likely means that OEMs have a finer grained control over the required end product.
It isn't actually any different than what happens in desktop GPUs to a degree. Except for clock frequency what's the difference between a HD 4870 and 4850 ?

Jad Chaar

Mobile GPUs are OEM orientated. The OEM determine power envelope by whatever BIOS parameters are set to allow for a myriad of CPU and GPU combinations within the same design and power consumption, and/or other features. The 760M is set at a lower clock than the 765M probably to facilitate the lower operating voltage, lower thermal envelope, less expensive heatsinking. Having two distinct models likely means that OEMs have a finer grained control over the required end product.
It isn't actually any different than what happens in desktop GPUs to a degree. Except for clock frequency what's the difference between a HD 4870 and 4850 ?
Yeah, I was thinking that the 760M would only come in handy with notebooks that aim for GPU performance + good battery life. The 765M would probably be more oriented toward only gaming notebooks.

St1ckM4n

"Can it run Crysis though? Looks like we'll have to wait for a definitive answer on that very important question."

Hahaha, well done author. :D

ghasmanjr

I've never understood the reasoning behind mobile gaming. A laptop with the 780M will most likely be $3000+ without breaking a sweat (if you went Alienware). For that much money, you could build a desktop with a 4770k, 2x GTX770s, 16gb of ram, a badass case, and a nice monitor.

St1ckM4n

I've never understood the reasoning behind mobile gaming. A laptop with the 780M will most likely be $3000+ without breaking a sweat (if you went Alienware). For that much money, you could build a desktop with a 4770k, 2x GTX770s, 16gb of ram, a badass case, and a nice monitor.
If someone plays a lot of games, can't be 10 mins without their games, and happens to travel a lot... and has a lot of money to blow... a gaming laptop makes sense.

ghasmanjr

If someone plays a lot of games, can't be 10 mins without their games, and happens to travel a lot... and has a lot of money to blow... a gaming laptop makes sense.
My buddy bought one of these with his military disability money because he had a crapload to blow. After he realized it wasn't nearly as fast as my sli 460s (at the time), he sold his gaming laptop and he build a desktop with sli 580s, an i7 2600k, 16gb of ungodly fast ram, and a ton of storage. He build that with the money he got for his laptop along with a few extra bucks. Oh, and his desktop was unbelievably fast compared to a damn gaming laptop. Maybe if I were rich I would understand why people buy stupid things like this.

Reactions: cliffordcooley

St1ckM4n

It's not entirely stupid. It does have a place and purpose. However for us tech-knowledgeable folk, the cost majorly outweighs any benefits.