Old Computer: Fans turn on but system won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely not an expert but I have general knowlege from building a couple systems. My current system is the following (I apologize if some details are left out, I'm currently at work)

Chip: Intel P4
MB: Asus P4P800 (865 PE)
RAM: I forget - 2 sticks of Kingston = 1gb
HD: 2 SATA
Video: Nvidia 5600 AGP (running 2 monitors)
PSU: Generic from Fry's 400w

I was listening to some streaming music and left the room for a couple minutes and came back my computer had shut down. When I got closer I could hear the system trying to boot, the fans would spin but it would shut down every 2-3 seconds. I switched the power off from the PSU.

I bought a replacement 500w PSU from Fry's figuring it went bad. I installed the new PSU but the system would not boot. THe fans would come on and a light on the MB was on but nothing. My monitors weren't receiving a signal either.

I then thought maybe it was the video card and went and bought a Nvidia 6800 AGP but still nothing.

I read online and tried a few other things:
- Removed the onboard battery on the MB and reseting the CMOS using jumpers
- Removed all PCI components including video card and tried booting and then installing only the video card and rebooting.
- Removed one stick of RAM
- Removed hard drives

At this point I think it might be the MB or just another bad power supply. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Remove the CPU heatsink/fan and check for thermal past. Clean of the old paste and apply new

I actually did remove the heatsink/fan and don't recall seeing any thermal paste. I'm assuming Fry's would have paste?

Yes Fry's should have some thermal paste or compound. You will need to apply a small amount on the CPU. Hopefully the CPU is not burned up

What is the brand, model, and age of the SATA hard drive? A failure of the hard drive is the most common failure to cause the symptoms you report. Memory failure is next, then graphics card.

Does another hard drive work in that machine? Do not use a hard drive from another computer that has WXP installed on it, or you will likely cause that drive to stop working when it detects a new hardware environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back