Old HD not booting, now external drive, need to get files

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]SO my old hard drive wouldn't boot anymore, I think the error had something to do with MUI not being full or something? So I bought a new computer and pulled the drive from my old computer and put it into an enclosure. It is registering on my new computer as I:, but I get an error I:/ is not accessible The request could not be performed because of an I/O Device Error. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue] [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue]I am guessing I need to put a master boot record on the external drive to get it to be recognized? I have a ton of pics on that drive, most are backed up, but I got a few months behind and CHristmas and a few other important months of pics are on there and I don't want to lose them (or pay $3000 to recover them either). Any ideas?[/FONT]

Take the drive out and get a USB HDD Hub for it and buy a new HDD install the new OS on that system to replace it. This way you can still use the HDD as external device with USB connection to get your files off.

USB HDD cost like $36 bucks
Uspeed USB 3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD [UASP and 4TB Support]
  • Supports ALL 2.5" & 3.5" SATA HDD and SSDs; Hot-Swap; Plug and Play; Supports Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7/8, Mac 10.2 or above
  • Offers eSATA and USB 3.0 interfaces with data transfer rates up to 3Gbps and 5Gbps respectively (cables included); Backward compatible with USB 2.0 /1.1 connections
  • Seat bare SATA drives directly into docking station without wires or tools necessary; Gain immediate access with no driver or installation needed
  • Free Lifetime Technical Support and 18 Months Manufacturer Warranty
  • Package Includes: 1 USB 3.0 & eSATA HDD Docking Station, 1 USB 3.0 Cable (Approx. 1M), 1 eSATA Cable (Approx. 1M), 1 12V/2A AC Power Adapter

Thats exactly what I did. Not I need to get the files from the old drive that is now in the external case. It is showing up as I:, but has an I/O error when trying to access it.

What OS are you on? What OS was on it? Could be HIVE issue. Also on the PC you have attached it to: What do you have available? C/D/E/F/G/H/I Try to disable some of the other drive letters to try to get it to show up as drive D. If you don't have anything partition on C or D or E or F or G or H?

Was Windows Vista64, now Windows 8 on new computer. C and D are used for main and backup. Why should I relabel to D:? What good would that do to read the drive as D rather than I?

Is that Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. C and D are used, what's on E and F?

You said you get I/O error on letter I:\.
Sounds like your system has Card Reader on there also.

Sounds like the drive's controller has died, in which case only forensics will recover your files (too expensive as noted). You might try installing the drive directly to a SATA port in your new system, but if it's a bad controller it still won't show the contents of the drive.

Back