OnePlus 9 Pro gets delisted from Geekbench for benchmark manipulation (OnePlus responds)

Humza

Staff member
What just happened? OnePlus' flagship phones, the 9 and 9 Pro launched to favorable reviews earlier this year, however, AnandTech's deep dive into the latter's performance revealed that the phone was throttling performance in popular apps in an apparent effort to boost efficiency and battery life. That's led to Geekbench delisting both the standard 9 and 9 Pro models from its benchmark database.

(Update 8 July): OnePlus has admitted to throttling the performance for popular apps on its OP 9 and 9 Pro, noting that its R&D team 'optimized' the devices in order to reduce power consumption. Here's the company's official statement to XDA:

Our top priority is always delivering a great user experience with our products, based in part on acting quickly on important user feedback. Following the launch of the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro in March, some users told us about some areas where we could improve the devices’ battery life and heat management. As a result of this feedback, our R&D team has been working over the past few months to optimize the devices’ performance when using many of the most popular apps, including Chrome, by matching the app’s processor requirements with the most appropriate power. This has helped to provide a smooth experience while reducing power consumption. While this may impact the devices’ performance in some benchmarking apps, our focus as always is to do what we can to improve the performance of the device for our users.

It's a spot on OnePlus' reputation, as owners of the OP9/9 Pro flagships likely didn't know or expect the built-in aggressive performance limitations when they originally bought the phones. These throttling measures downgrade the experience of an SD 888-powered device for the sake of better battery life.

OnePlus would have probably received less criticism had it used a mid-tier chip to keep user expectations in check, however, sneakily hindering the performance of a top-end SoC to essentially save power suggests that the issue lies elsewhere.

The OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro may undercut flagship competitors in pricing, but it seems that the devices aren’t offering owners the full-fledged performance of their powerful Snapdragon 888 SoCs.

In performance testing of the OnePlus 9 Pro, AnandTech discovered the phone to be aggressively throttling performance in dozens of popular apps including all of Google’s apps, Microsoft Office, mainstream web browsers, social media apps, and even OnePlus' own first-party apps.

Essentially, OnePlus' throttling mechanisms prevent workloads from utilizing the SD888's high-performance Cortex X-1 core, as it shifts them to lower-powered cores while running at reduced clock speeds. Weirdly, this behavior was only observed when running popular Play Store apps, and found to be absent in case of alternative/less well-known apps.

Geekbench has also taken note of this development and subsequently delisted the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro from its Android benchmark list, terming it as 'a form of benchmark manipulation.' The only OnePlus 9 model currently listed is the SD870-powered 'R' version.

Although OnePlus hasn't responded to the controversy, it appears that the company employed these performance-limiting measures to ensure better battery life and efficiency. It's a compromise one would expect on a mid-range/budget device, but certainly seems out of place in a 2021 flagship phone.

Permalink to story.

I just saw this phone battery tested against the iPhone 12.
iPhone had 18% battery left when OP9 died.

Embarrassing if it loses that bad with throttling.
The oneplus 9 pro has .7 square inches more than the iphone (a lot more), 120 refresh rate while iPhone has 60Hz , the oneplus 9 has nearly double the resolution, and double the color spectrum. That takes a crapton more battery and even after all that, the battery tests I have seen compared to the iPhon12 have the iphone dying an hour earlier because the battery is half the size. Try to look a little bit more into these kind of things

The oneplus 9 pro has .7 square inches more than the iphone (a lot more), 120 refresh rate while iPhone has 60Hz , the oneplus 9 has nearly double the resolution, and double the color spectrum. That takes a crapton more battery and even after all that, the battery tests I have seen compared to the iPhon12 have the iphone dying an hour earlier because the battery is half the size. Try to look a little bit more into these kind of things
I'll gladly look at your source links.

Android already comes with a Battery Saver built-in. One Plus didn't have to be underhanded about it. Sad really.

I'll gladly look at your source links.
Just a quick Google and PhoneArena and Tom's hardware battery tests come up and the OnePlus generally beats the iPhone on battery life. Interestingly, on Tom's review, The browsing test was won by over an hour to the OnePlus while on PhoneArena the iPhone won the browsing test by a massive 3 hour margin.

In-fact, Googling it further, it's all over the place, more often than not the OnePlus wins (not by a huge margin mind you) and then you have the odd test where one wins over the other by a substantial margin.

Morons should have gone for a 760G if they were worried about battery life. What sort of dolts throttle performance so the expensive X-1 core you paid for isn't used.

Luckily OnePlus are too cowardly to sell or support their phones in Australia so I've never been tempted to buy one, even grey market, due to all the hoops people have to jump through to get them working with certain features.

So first hasselblad didn't deliver and now the SoC follows suit? good for em. can't really blame them as this is what happens when you have less competition (Huawei and LG) to keep you in spirit

One Plus phones are a pain in the smartphone butt. There always seems to be controversy surrounding this brand. I just purchased the 9 pro moving up from the Nord 10 and honestly, I don't think it was worth it. Oh sure, I get a nice bright screen (that always dims according to surrounding light, therefore defeating the experience), nice Dolby Atmos tuned speakers and lots of power that eats the battery. So then, why even make it so good, if so much adjustments are needed to operate it through the day. Not worth it I tell ya. It's a very buggy phone, not completely thought out. It needs to stay out of the American market. Let Samsung, Apple and Google RULE!!

To me, unless it can bring more performance at a greater efficiency and that's usually at a new process node, it's never an upgrade. Sure, they can push more megahertz, but again, I still don't consider that an upgrade. Going from a Snapdragon 665 (12nm) to a SD 680 (6nm) qualifies as an upgrade. It's funny the derision, moaning, and groaning that 680 is receiving, but honestly it seems perfect for my needs. I get it issue with a line that would down stepping that Motorola has done with , for instance the G Power line. The same line should be getting better each year, not worse. SD680 would make it better for me, relative to SD665.But will have to see the numbers if and when that happens It's partially why I generally stick with one brand. I know what I currently have and whatever upgrade I'm looking for relative to that. It's predictable. 5G is a mess. It's a mass interference project. Verizon and ATT have already been forced to stand down some of the rollout due to weather forcasting and airline concerns.

Last edited:
Back