OnePlus reveals its first Android-powered smart TV

Polycount

Staff

OnePlus may be best known for its high-quality yet reasonably-priced smartphones, but the company has been looking to expand its reach into the realm of smart TVs for a while now. Today, the smartphone maker finally decided to reveal the fruit of its ambitions: the aptly-named "OnePlus TV."

The TV is the first device in OnePlus' "Q1" line-up, and it's a 55", 4K behemoth with a "Gamma Color Magic" chip for "mesmeric picture reproduction," whatever that means. The Color Magic chip enables the OnePlus TV to optimize picture quality in real time, no matter what sort of content you're viewing. Additionally, the TV houses Dolby Vision HDR features for "extraordinary" colors, contrast, and device brightness.

From a design perspective, the OnePlus TV is fairly simple. Its bezels are ultra-thin, and the "Pro" variant features a "sliding sound bar" that can raise or lower on a whim -- when closed, you wouldn't even know the bar exists.

Aside from just looking cool, this sound bar allegedly packs quite a punch. According to OnePlus, it includes a 58W, 8-speaker setup powered by Dolby Atmos technology. The speaker setup is composed of four full range speakers, two "tweeters" for high notes, and two woofers. The non-Pro TV features a slightly more standard four-speaker array.

When it comes to smart TV features, OnePlus latest' device is no slouch -- it's running on the Android TV platform, which means you'll have full access to Google Assistant and the Google Play Store. You can ask the Assistant questions, tell it to perform various in-TV actions, or skip the AI entirely and just download your favorite Play Store games. Alternatively, you can consider stopping by the OxygenPlay content hub, which can synchronize with your smartphone for easier navigation.

In terms of available input ports, the OnePlus TV has four HDMI slots, one AV port, and three USB ports -- one each of USB 2.0, 3.0, and Type-C, to be specific.

If the OnePlus TV sounds like the device of your dreams, you can pre-order it now, as long as you live in India; and can spare 69,900 Rupees for the standard OnePlus TV, or 99,000 Rupees for the Pro version. That's about $1,000 and $1,400, respectively.

We don't know when the TV will be available in other regions, nor do we know when it will officially ship out. However, we'll keep you updated in the coming months.

Permalink to story.

$1000 and $1400?

I can walk into Walmart right now and walk out with a 70" 4K Smart TV for less than $900.

I don't see these doing too well with those prices.

$1000 and $1400?

I can walk into Walmart right now and walk out with a 70" 4K Smart TV for less than $900.

I don't see these doing too well with those prices.

Yeah its competing more with high end sets like qled and oled at that price, question will be does it look good enough to justify the price?

Yeah its competing more with high end sets like qled and oled at that price, question will be does it look good enough to justify the price?
The answer is no.

Because the other question is, will the user be using equipment that actually takes advantage of the TV's abilities?

I've realized that all I need is a "big TV". When people come over, ain't a damn single person ever questioned the picture quality. Especially when we're watching low-res broadcast Tv shows which people "just watch".

Ain't nobody counting pixels.

Ain't nobody got a "contrast meter".

Ain't nobody tracking frames per second...

But on my 80" 4K TV you get gigantic everything and everyone who watches it loves it.

The answer is no.

Because the other question is, will the user be using equipment that actually takes advantage of the TV's abilities?

I've realized that all I need is a "big TV". When people come over, ain't a damn single person ever questioned the picture quality. Especially when we're watching low-res broadcast Tv shows which people "just watch".

But on my 80" 4K TV you get gigantic everything and everyone who watches it loves it.

That's great, good for you. Some people buy things for themselves and not just to impress others. They can differentiate and appreciate the higher quality on their own (all that matters), and are willing to pay a premium for it. Don't assume everyone is like you.

That's great, good for you. Some people buy things for themselves and not just to impress others. They can differentiate and appreciate the higher quality on their own (all that matters), and are willing to pay a premium for it. Don't assume everyone is like you.

Amen to that brother - also, nice username - hope you don't have balls in your knees though.

I'd prefer to buy a smaller, higher quality TV or save and get a bigger higher quality TV. If I wanted big I'd go for the cheap shite from companies less reputable like Sharp, Phillips, Bosh or Toshiba, but you know with LG, Samsung, Sony you get quality.

If I hadn't just bought a 42" 4K LG TV for the living room last year I would be very tempted by this if it ever came to the UK. I'm a big fan of OnePlus, I had hoped they'd gone for a similar ethos of high end specs at an undercutting cost like they do with the phones but I'm not too familiar with TV offerings so it may yet compete with those in a higher bracket. The sound bar thing I think is immense!

Maybe when I move next year I can sneak this into the living room and the other TV into the bedroom....

If I wanted big I'd go for the cheap shite from companies less reputable like Sharp, Phillips, Bosh or Toshiba, but you know with LG, Samsung, Sony you get quality.
Sharp consumer products might usually be at the budget end of the market, but they are far from "less reputable". They provide high quality panels for many monitors, and is one supplier for Apple devices.

Sharp consumer products might usually be at the budget end of the market, but they are far from "less reputable". They provide high quality panels for many monitors, and is one supplier for Apple devices.
Yeah fair you get some gems but what I meant was you know where to go if you want assured quality.

It occurs to me that the "latest and greatest" televisions tend to be geared toward a much younger market which, unfortunately, dosen't always have the money to spend for such high end televisions while the older market that has the money is perfectly happy with the older style (LED units) and holding onto their hard earned cash. I've got a Samsung LED that I purchased over 8 years ago. Still going strong and if I would need to replace it, that might cost me $250 as opposed to that $1,400 unit which is cute, but isn't going to enhance my viewing please one little bit.
Hey, with all the retro stuff we see these days, I may need to hold onto my cash to buy another B&W tube set!!! ROFL

The answer is no.

They may not be counting pixels or the other things that you mentioned but you are vastly mistaken thinking size is the only thing that matters. The perfect blacks and quality of the components
with an OLED or a QLED or similar tech make a huge difference.

Back