Online lock-ups while playing UT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyke

Online lock-ups

Hi all; need help!

I have tried playing UT online with several diff servers, but always my system freezes after one or two maps! I have disabled all my overclocking, but problem persists...I know this is probly an old question, but any ideas?

My system: T-bird 1.2;ECS K7VZA mobo;Win98se;384mb cas2 ram;Herc geforce3 (27.42 drivers);SB-Live! Value sound;DX 8.1.

Cheers,

Spyke

Welcome to 3dspotlight forums

Check out the Geforce FAQ in my signature.
PS: Is this a new problem with new drivers or have you recently added new hardware? Is the Geforce3 a recent addition or any other component?

The Geforce3 and 27.42s are new. ran a Geforce2gts before. Do you think that could be problem? Maybe a driver change? Other online games are fine, and internet connection (well, for a 56k user...) :)

Cheers:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Spyke
The Geforce3 and 27.42s are new. ran a Geforce2gts before. Do you think that could be problem? Maybe a driver change? Other online games are fine, and internet connection (well, for a 56k user...) :)

Cheers:rolleyes:

So only UT is a problem?
Have you tried reinstalling UT?
Its notorious for being more CPU dependent than most games.
I've seen a lot of "My CS doesn't work", "My UT doesn't work" and the most common fix is to do a new install. ;)

Also did you uninstall your previous detonators and switch over and install the new card and detonators?
There are also programs such as the detonator destroyer which removes all trace of detonators (.dll files that don't get properly removed by the uninstall).

Erm...I just ran the autoinstall .exe for the 27.42s, shortly after the new card will installed. This is the same installation of UT that was on the pc with the gf2gts, so I'll try a re-install next as the simplest possible fix. Also I'll look at the det-destroyer...
must admit, still overcoming my fear of "NEW DRIVERS"!

Thanks for the advice!

:eek:

With the use of detonator-destoryers (available here at guru3d) switching detonators back and forth between versions is much easier. Personally I am using the 23.11 official drivers with my Geforce3.

I have had great luck with the 22.80's. No freeze ups or another graphical issues. Ive had alot of issues with Detonator drivers. The 22.80's are the only ones yet that have been stable.

Well, I got the detonator destroyer program, and thought I'd try the re-install first, just in case...
And it seems to have worked! Just ran through 7-8 maps on three
different servers no problem at all! I'm happy again!

Next time I change drivers though, I'll use det-destroyer first!

Thanks all, see you online...

Spyke:cool:

Uninstall driver, set to use standard vga, then run detonator destroyer, then reboot and install new detonator. Just thought I would add that incase you ran detonator-destroyer before the uninstall :)

Thanks Arris, will do just like that.

I think my "fear of new drivers" comes from not knowing exactly how to unistall/install/update them properly, so that was useful.

Is there a set of guidelines that covers all driver types online anywhere? (eg modem, soundcard, etc)

Spyke...

:cool:

There are probably a few guides but 90% of the time the best source is the hardware manufacturer that actually releases the drivers. Only with the detonators Nvidia don't clean up everything properly :)
Drivers like Via's 4in1 for Via motherboard chipsets require special consideration as they usually require only certain parts of the 4in1 depending on the version of Windows or other operating system that you are installing them for.

A lot of USB devices require that you install the drivers before you connect the device. I recently bought a Sony Portable mp3 player and the instructions said that I "MUST" install the drivers before connecting the device.

Generally its a case of:
  1. Bootup system, Uninstall driver/device (Control panel or propriety uninstall software)
  2. Reboot system
  3. Install new driver (Note: sometimes the hardware manufacturer will advise against using the windows driver installation "Windows has found a new device", and tell you to cancel this and use their exe from driver CD)
  4. Reboot if requested to

Just to update you guys who have been so helpful...

Its Sunday night, I've re-installed UT, I've deleted all old graphics drivers, used Det-destroyer, and re-installed 27.42s completely, I've played a map and three quarters....
and locked up!

I guess some things are not meant to be...maybe I should buy Q3 instead, or just wait for UT2!

Spyke:(

I am using 23.11 (latest listed as official release) from Nvidia's 98/ME download page.
I have a few friends that have been using some of the betas and one of them had vanishing textures and multicoloured patterns appearing with Medal Of Honor. I recommend trying the 23.11 (or the 22.80s that svtcobra recommends) drivers as I have had no problems on my system with them.

When I first switched to a Geforce3 I had loads of problems (finally found out that it was the GA-7IXE4 gigabyte motherboards AGP that was the problem).
This was my first post in the old forum, check it out for interesting things like power requirements and recommended PSUs. Also try searching the previous forum (link in my signature) as when the geforce3 first came out there were many, many posts about problems. Try a "Geforce 3 lockup" search ;)

<sigh...> Back again...

Thanks for the links, Arris. I checked out the power rating screen, and think my 300w just about covers the systems needs, but will probably be happier with 350w.

After the last set of lock-ups I downloaded the 23.11s, uninstalled 27.42s, uninstalled UT, ran Det-destroyer, installed 23.11s, installed UT, and tried it out off-line...
It ran like a slug on gravel! Terrible!

Same online! I mentioned it to a friend, and he mentioned that UT can run using opengl, so I changed setup to opengl mode, and everything was back to normal, nice smooth high frame-rates again!

Went online, and so far so good. I dare not think that thats it all sorted. no...it cant be...surely not...

I'll let you know how it goes,

Thanks again

Spyke:rolleyes:

Thanks for the update.
For further tweaks and things to check try the guides link in my signature. There are UT tweak guides that should assist you with getting the max performance from UT....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back