Opera Mini will be the first full web browser on Samsung's Gear S smartwatch

Himanshu Arora

Staff

If you are looking forward to buy a Samsung Galaxy Gear S smartwatch, here is some good news: you will now also be able to surf the Internet on the wearable device. Opera has announced that its Opera Mini browser will be available on the Tizen-powered smartwatch.

According to the company, Opera Mini includes many touch-friendly features tailored specifically for small-screen web browsing. For example, the website shortcuts on the browser's Speed Dial appear as large buttons, enabling users to reach their favorite sites in a single tap.

There is also a Smart Page that displays links based on the sites you visit most frequently, as well as a number of suggested links that are sorted by category. You can also add your social-media networks to the Smart Page. The browser also lets you save Web pages for offline reading, a feature that may come in handy when you are in an area with sketchy internet coverage.

Just double-tap with a finger to zoom in, or pinch to attain your desired view, while a gentle swipe with your finger will take you forward and back.

Although it's difficult to say just how productive Internet surfing will be on the Gear S' small 2-inch curved Super AMOLED display, those who are looking to give it a try can download the free browser app from Samsung Gear Apps when the smartwatch goes on sale later this month.

Permalink to story.

For every bad joke there is someone who buys it.

And with double-tap becoming popular, someone please tell them it's supposed to be made of wood, or it's bad luck. Or, is it three-tap? :)

Ant size screen for ant size brain peoples.
You cannot browse it more than minutes.

Apart from some biometrics and checking the time I still see absolutely no point in smartwatches. It's not a problem (for me) to reach into my pocket and haul my phone out to check things.

Back