Outraged Star Citizen fans refuse to buy digital passes for streamed CitizenCon event

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Facepalm: Cloud Imperium had a great idea for this year’s CitizenCon. It make the event bigger, and it would stream the whole thing. Best of all, a digital pass to the online version of the conference would only cost $20 (as opposed to the $87 ticket price to attend).

As it turns out, fans did not like that idea so much. Upon announcement, the Star Citizen subreddit flared up with outrage. The indignation was not much of a surprise. For one, the game is still not officially out yet despite having been in development since 2011.

Moreover, we’re talking about Star Citizen, a title that has already raked in almost $200 million in crowdfunding and sells elements of the game for crazy high prices, like its $27,000 ship pack. Charging fans who could not attend, some who have already pledged thousands of dollars to the game’s development, just seemed money-grubbing to many followers.

The outcry forced RSI boss Chris Roberts to post an explanation about the fee.

“This year's CitizenCon is much bigger than last years, with two separate stages and tracks. We did this because we felt the format we tested last year was a success, and because of this we wanted to expand it to allow more people to attend and provide more opportunities to hear from and interact with the devs.”

Roberts said they were also hiring a team of professionals to do the streaming since there had been criticism in the past about their “home-brew approach to videography and streaming.” All this extra expense prompted Roberts to decide to charge for access to all of the live streams.

After giving it some thought, he decided to walk back this plan and allow anyone with a Star Citizen account to watch the event live.

“After sleeping on this, I am going to chalk this one up to experience,” said Roberts. “We're going to cut back on the live-streaming crew/costs but have both stages streamed for anyone with a Star Citizen user account."

Addtionally, those wanting to help offset the associated costs are encouraged to purchase the "CitizenCon digital goodies package." This digital package includes an in-game wearable duster jacket, CitizenCon 2948 trophy, and weapon, plus opens access to purchase CitizenCon merchandise.

Charging for a live-streamed gaming event is not unprecedented. Blizzard does the same thing with BlizzCon. In fact, that was where Roberts admits to getting the idea. Of course, Blizzard has finished products already out and doesn’t charge $400+ for DLC or microtransactions.

CitizenCon 2948 is coming up on October 10 in Austin, Texas. Premium tickets to attend go for $130, but are already sold out. You can still pick up a standard ticket for $87 from the CitizenCon website.

Permalink to story.

I can't wait for the massive class action on what has become the biggest scam in gaming history.

Facepalm indeed :D

On a side-note, if CCP did this during their Eve Fanfest, I bet that this time it would not be just Jita that will burn in-game.

I can't wait for the massive class action on what has become the biggest scam in gaming history.
There always seems to be at least 1 person who uses the word "scam" on Star Citizen articles. But...
3cpAS6L.jpg

Last I heard, they are delivering what they have outlined (albeit with some delays here and there). How is that a scam?

Edit: Updated the quote for @OutlawCecil

Last edited:
Last I heard, they are delivering what they have outlined (albeit with some delays here and there). How is that a scam?

You are correct (although your meme has an incorrect quote...) Kickstarter projects are NOT guaranteed to succeed so even though they have a publicly partially-playable game right now and there's tons of footage showing they are working on it, even if they gave up right now, there would be no lawsuit.

You guys are really late on this news. So late that cig has in fact cancelled all plans to charge anything for the livestream. This article is way too late and shouldn't even have been released this late

The people who actually bought the "premium" tickets for $130 are the type of people who make projects like StarCitizen thrive without delivering. We know there have been many other contributors who have given in crazy amount of money or already bought the add-ons for even more crazy money, but people still paying that much for the con (pun intended) make me speechless.

While I had free access to the stream I was one of the people who disliked the charge with that said blizzard do not charge 400 dollers for a ship but they do charge for new expansions and a monthly fee ...why? Well wages need to be paid also it allows them to create new content. What does both company's have in common ...they both need funds to make there games/expansions.

Typical action of a guy stealing money. Try to con more people in to giving away money they earned. Hey Roberts try it. You know you will never release the game. You and Bernie Madoff should be cell mates. You can try and con each other in to paying for your one phone call.

Trying to figure out how to become much dumber so that I can become much richer. Obviously, intellect has an inverse relationship to the ability to have money.

While I had free access to the stream I was one of the people who disliked the charge with that said blizzard do not charge 400 dollers for a ship but they do charge for new expansions and a monthly fee ...why? Well wages need to be paid also it allows them to create new content. What does both company's have in common ...they both need funds to make there games/expansions.
No, one puts out games with expansions and the other just expands it's bank account.

Worst scam ever: 5 studios, +500 developers, a roadmap giving 4 quarters ahead f patch giving a probable Beta by end of 2019... all from a team of guys who started from scratch end of Nov.2012.... The outrage is more about some trolls around shooting nonsense :)

Typical action of a guy stealing money. Try to con more people in to giving away money they earned. Hey Roberts try it. You know you will never release the game. You and Bernie Madoff should be cell mates. You can try and con each other in to paying for your one phone call.

So much hat and so little knowledge :)

Same guys shooting collapse 90 days top!... 4 years ago. Result:+ 150M$ since then, quarterly patch and +700.000 backers.

haters hate that how they like to spend much of their time. Backers are building the game they want. You are on the wrong side boy :)

You guys are really late on this news. So late that cig has in fact cancelled all plans to charge anything for the livestream. This article is way too late and shouldn't even have been released this late
His retraction of the fee was covered in the article if you had read past the title. I was even mentioned in the sub-headline, "Chris Roberts drops the $20 fee and cuts back the budget for annual showcase" ;)

So much hat and so little knowledge :)

Same guys shooting collapse 90 days top!... 4 years ago. Result:+ 150M$ since then, quarterly patch and +700.000 backers.

haters hate that how they like to spend much of their time. Backers are building the game they want. You are on the wrong side boy :)
It's always the "rookies" that come in shouting the praises of "Star Citizen", and always seem to know more than people who have been around for years.

I'd venture a guess to say that of those "500 employees", some of them are merely shills who post around the web to keep that money flowing into the star citizen coffers.

While others, with mediocre syntax and grammar such as yourself, just sound like web bots.

Oh, and you won't be getting your first "like" our of me. I'm not really a gamer, and I'm certainly not stupid enough to hand over $27,000 for a ship in a game which is, at best, in alpha form.

Back