Over-the-air TV might soon receive interactive functionality similar to streaming

Daniel Sims

Staff
Recap: Although broadcast TV has been largely forgotten by many in the era of streaming, the old method of watching TV with rabbit ears has been trying to evolve for years. The process has been slow and difficult, partially due to competition from free streaming services, but a consortium of companies is preparing to introduce interactive over-the-air broadcasts.

In collaboration with some of the largest US broadcast TV companies, ROXi has begun introducing technology that could bring smart features typically associated with streaming services to free over-the-air TV. The functionality requires new hardware for most but might become an enticing new free option for cord-cutters.

With ROXi's service, TVs and other devices that support the latest broadcast standard can pause, skip, fast forward, and rewind over-the-air programs. Users can start a program from the beginning, even if they tune in after it starts. Viewers can also flip through specific segments without needing traditional viewer apps.

ROXi's technology, called FastStream, enables the functionality by temporarily downloading software into a device's memory. The new features will debut in ROXi's music streaming service but could soon become available for news and sports broadcasts. The company's partners are also trying to introduce "Nextgen TV," which could give broadcast channels HDR, enhanced dialogue, on-demand content, and local news or weather forecasts.

The effort leverages ATSC 3.0, the next generation of over-the-air TV protocols, which has struggled to gain a foothold since the FCC pushed its adoption in 2017. Some may remember the great switch to digital broadcast networks in the late 2000s, which instituted ATSC 1.0 as the current standard. The updated protocol promises to add 4K HDR broadcasts, and support could expand beyond TVs and antennas to mobiles or other devices.

However, after years of availability, ATSC 3.0 still isn't widely available. Stations broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 must keep supporting its predecessor, which doesn't leave enough bandwidth for 4K signals. Furthermore, free ad-supported streaming apps like Tubi and Pluto have threatened to leapfrog ATSC 3.0, which requires either new antennas or expensive new components in TVs. Those disadvantages caused LG to drop ATSC 3.0 from its sets.

Still, large segments of the population rely on broadcast TV, particularly low-income, rural, and immigrant households, which could provide ROXi or other ATSC 3.0 services with a significant addressable market.

Image credit: Trusted Reviews

Permalink to story:

I know it's probably an "FCC rule", but I'm surprised broadcast over the air tv is still around.
Yeah, there are still places that don't have broadband, but there are a LOT of satellite and
other options, other than people don't want to pay for it.

@Daniel Sims I really hate to say this, but, IMO, this is a rather sloppy article with some misinformation in it. A new antenna is not required to receive ATSC 3.0 broadcasts. See - https://screenrant.com/atsc-3-next-gen-tv-upgrade-now-wait/
In principle, consumers only need an antenna to access over-the-air video content and that’s no different with ATSC 3.0. For example, existing antennas will work just fine so consumers do not have to buy a new antenna for ATSC 3.0. In fact, exiting antennas will likely work even better considering the upgraded technology that’s in use with Next Gen TV.
ATSC 3.0 does, however, require a new tuner. And the reason that LG dropped ATSC 3.0 tuners from its sets this year, according to Tom's Guide, is a patent dispute - https://www.tomsguide.com/news/lg-oled-tvs-might-be-losing-a-key-feature-in-2024
Other manufacturers like Samsung still have the tuners in their new TVs and the cost is built-in to the cost of the set.
I know it's probably an "FCC rule", but I'm surprised broadcast over the air tv is still around.
Yeah, there are still places that don't have broadband, but there are a LOT of satellite and
Well, not everyone likes to pay for TV content, and OTA TV is, IMO, an excellent option for people who do not want to pay for their TV. I've been maintaining an OTA Setup using a custom-built HTPC for well over 5-years. I was subscribing to DishNetwork at $85/mo, and dropped it. Since then, my savings have paid for the two custom HTPCs I've built.

Of course, people can go the pirate route, but I'll watch the "Commercial" TV and skip through the commercials with the open-source software MediaPortal that provides DVR functionality.

As I see it, people have been brainwashed by subscription TV to think that subscription TV is the only option available. Guess what - it's not the only option avaiable. IMO, the likes of Tubi and other similar services are worse in that you cannot skpt their commercials, however, you can mute the volume - thank God.

And in my area even with the previous ATSC 1.0 standard, there's at least 35 OTA channels available. Some, like Comet TV, offer some great sci-fi stuff and shows like The X-Files - if that's your thing.

A new antenna is not required to receive ATSC 3.0 broadcasts....
Adding to this true statement, antenna are analog devices: their design is influenced only by the wavelengths they're intended to receive, not the encoding of the signal itself. The only way any new signal would require a new antenna is if it added to or changed the actual band it's being broadcast upon.

Comcast already has this.... its laggy and shty interface operates at about 3 fps.... why I cancelled and went to youtubeTV on a fire cube.

Oh yeah, satellite. You know, the thing that barely works, why would you want that over broadcast TV? GENEUS!

Also, Dish and Direct TV are not pushing their subscribers to STEAM the movies they offer in their packages, rather then getting them over the dish. So you know, if you live in one of the many areas without good internet access, you just cant watch movies on their services now. So its Back To Broadcast.

Much like radio, Broadcast still has a HUGE base of viewers, far larger then you'd think. That's before we factor in the "fcc rules" that broadcast TV is a public service and one of the easiest ways to communicate things like weather warning, political addresses, ece.

OTA viewership has been increasing pretty steadily for the last 5 years. It's also a popular way to get local news and sports. It can look at bit nicer but 1080i channels already look really good (not all channels are 1080i unfortunately). Some markets have over 50 channels available while the average in the USA is around 15 channels per market.Antenna's are cheap and the content is free, all 4 of the major broadcasters show professional and college sports on there channels as well as the CW carrying some sports now as well under there new owner. The broadcasters have a lot of digital sub channels which show popular show reruns and then the big 5 have new content as usual. It's a pretty good system that works well with modern DVR systems like Tablo or a Plex server. ATSC 3.0 and it's implementation has been nothing short of a disaster, DRM, encrypted stations and requiring internet connections to watch OTA broadcast is just beyond dumb, all the implement features no one wanted.

That's patently false

Many places, including high end townhouses and condos, have TV packages that include everything and every possible app and streaming service, but not local TV stations.

Only way to get them?? A cheap (20 -30 bucks) indoor OTA antenna that will pull every local TV station, up to 150 miles away, in HD quality.

Just because you don't need this "FCC" rule, many people depend on it actually!

Back