Overclocking a Laptop Core2 Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmdl51

Hello!

It's on my plans to buy a Laptop with a Core2Duo cpu, but since I will be limited to the stock heatsink and thermal grease and I have no idea if manufacturers provide the option to overclock the cpu from the Mobo Bios, in case they do, is this a safe practice? I mean keeping in mind that stock heatsink and all the factors that will make the temp rise.

I don't want to overclock too high, probably only by 10-20% but this still can rise the temp and make the system unstable right? I just want to know what do you think and s****t thanks

Laptops are already extremely hot as is. To overclock a laptop, IMO, would be insane. Also, before you COULD get to a good speed if it was possible, the overheating of the laptop RAM would occur or voltage errors could occur and destroy the extremely fragile SO-DIMM RAM in your laptop. Also note that I doubt the Laptop bios will let you change anything speedwise.

Wouldn't it be better to buy a desktop if you are into overclocking? Then you can pretty much go nuts, get awesome cpu coolers, good ram that will keep up with the OC, an awesome overclocking-capable motherboard, 10000rpm HD's, etc.

1 more thing: Laptops barely have any fans to cool them, and when they are hot, they will either burn your legs or send the fan into a screaming, whining toddler state and make excessively loud noise.

I would not try it, it's already hard enough to keep a CPU cool in overclocking on a desktop with Stock Cooler.

Thanks for the fast reply, appreciate your opinion, I'm just asking about what do you think and personal experiences.

Already have a desktop OCed decently (check my signature or system specs) and I was just curious because Laptops with Core2Duo are very expensive, but the ones with 1.66Ghz or 1.87Ghz have more acceptable prices, so I was thinking to get one of this and just move the speed to 2.0-2.2Ghz.

I know OCing is tricky and requires time, patience and skills to have a stable system and involve many things that you mention, RAM, fan RPMs, heatsink, thermal paste, etc.

I need a Laptop and will definitely buy one, but before buying thinking I can OC it I rather ask and see what are my best options.

rmdl51 said:
I know OCing is tricky and requires time, patience and skills to have a stable system and involve many things that you mention, RAM, fan RPMs, heatsink, thermal paste, etc.
Yeah, but it's practically impossible to replace those on a laptop. Laptop's aren't made for as much power at the price point you are looking to. If you are looking for an insanely fast laptop, you're looking for a desktop replacement. But even those you can't overclock either.

Laptops make the power tradeoff for mobility. To make laptops that small, a lot of options are sacraficed, like upgrading and whatnot. If you are looking for 2 GHz speeds then buy it at 2GHz Stock. Since Core 2 Duo Centrino's(Laptop Version) are built differently the regular Core 2 Duo (Desktop), they aren't as easy to overclock. (Due to the fact they are soo small and that laptop components are not as good as desktop ones.)

My laptop is really weak, but I don't need that much power. I just use it to check my email and whatnot and play a couple of older games. But for the OC'ing, keep that to the desktop, it can manage it. And if it is gaming you want, they have places that build Gaming laptops, like Falcon Northwest or Ibuypower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back