Overclocking newly built system

Status
Not open for further replies.

giyad

Hey everyone,

I just built my first computer with the following specs:

-Case: Antec Quiet P180 Black /550Watt Power Supply (Seasonic)
-Motherboard: eVGA nForce 680i SLI
-Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.40 GHz, FSB1066, 4 MB L2)
-RAM: OCZ 2GB DDR2-800 (2 x 1GB)
-Hard Drive: Raptor SATA 10,000RPM 150GB
-Video Card: EVGA GeForce 7950GT 512MB
-DVD player (Sony Blu-Ray RW)
-Floppy Drive
-Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

So far my CPU has been running at 39C, with Core 1 at 29C and Core 2 at 34C. I am also an overclocking noob, so I was hoping to get some advice on how I should overclock this PC, as well as some guidance on how to perform it.

Oh no, bad move paying for a Blu-Ray drive... Oh well. You need to get into the BIOS to overclock. Do this by pressing a certain button while the system is booting. Usually it's delete or f2 but it might be something else. Check the mobo manual.

Yeah I know they are expensive, but I got a good deal on ebay so not that bad...

What should I overclock my specs at?

Go into the BIOS and raise the FSB a few megahertz then boot into windows and run SysTool or similar stability testing application for at least a few minutes.
Keep doing that until the stability test errors out, then lower the FSB to last frequency, where the stability test didn't give you errors and re-run the test for a couple hours or so.

Ok so I overclocked my system to run at 3.0Ghz 1333QDR Linky/Sync 667Mhz RAM. Do I need to adjust my Voltage at all? My CPU Core is running at 1.42V, CPU FSB at 1.4V, and Memory at 1.86V.

Temperatures are kind of high, atleast compared to before. I am currently running with CPU at 47C up from 39C.

No, i think it adjusted itself automatically. I recall it being around 1.2V as default

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back