Partition problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddha50

ok i am trying to get rid of unallocated space on my hdd and i cant ifure out how.
i am trying to get it to where it is ust the c:\ is my only Partition besides the FAT partition that is on there. everywhere i checked said to mount it to an empty folder in the c:\ ....Do i have to do that? cant I just have a C:\....right now i got a c:\ and D:\..... The D:\ is empty.

any hel is greatly areciated

um that did not seem to work. If i did not make it clear about what i was talking about, i want to make my hard drive to have just one big partition besides the required fat partition.

I wasn't exactly sure if Gparted could do this. I use Partition Magic, which is very easy (from a bootable CD)

Yes I know what you want; and I uderstand that others have suggested creating a shortcut folder to D:\ (or whichever drive the 2nd Partition is)

You could just use your Windows CD and remove both Partitions fully then just continue setup. (obviously backing up first)
Note: If you do end up re-installing Windows, clean. Then you do not need to create a new Partition (or even format it) Windows setup does all this automatically on a non-partitioned HardDrive

I believe this condition appears because the MFT (master file table) does not have room for the few extra megabytes on the disk.

Your mention of a FAT partition seems to describe OEM loads with Recovery Partitions (FAT32). They are "fragile" when it comes to adding another partition to capture the remaining free space. I believe this causes the loss of the Recovery Console (cmdcons if installed) from the boot menu. I have not recently searched for workarounds on this.

I believe the same is true if you use Partition Magic or Gpart to resize the cluster size to bring the free space into the C: drive. You probably lose more space than you gain. Work through the math. Just once reference about NTFS MFT space allocation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back