Password Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure that this ? has already been asked, in fact I know it has and when I googled it brought me HERE.

I have a Dell Inspiron 4100 that I bought from my brother 2 years ago for my girls.
One them has decided that she wants to be a computer guru? She's has done something to set a password that she DOES NOT REMEMBER? Here's what now comes up ---this computer is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data without the correct password. Please type the correct password and press enter---
I called Dell gave them all the information had my brother on the other line as well so he could speak to them. Well, they want $239 a year to protect my system and then they'll give me the password?

I'm sorry if the question is so long, but I need some advice. Should buy into the Dell Protection or by a new laptop for them?

Thanks in Advance,

T

sounds like blackmail to me
they should give you the backdoor default to get in the laptop
look around big long topic here on the subject really long
check around the net there are links to some fixs depending on your laptop
there are co's that sell the fresh chip replacement about 29.00 usd or so

I want to RUN OVER IT!

Thanks for responding. I just got off the phone with DELL again. They've given me a case number and the guy said that he would forward my info to someone that could maybe help. I did transfer the ownership from my brother to myself. So that was in my Favor, I THINK! The guy was real nice and said that he would get back with me tomorrow. The first two calls that I made they said that it would be $239, the second one said sure we can give the code for $99. This guy did not say anything about money. Maybe that's a good sign.
Also, I have looked all over the internet regarding this situation. I have to say that there are alot of people with the same problem. One site that I found was JINX something or another. They had tons of posts about Dell laptops and every last one them were about passwords. I read until I cried laughing. Those poor moderators where pulling their hair out! They were sick of it.

Anyways, Thanks again. If I learn anything from this I'll let someone on this board know. I'm not a GURU, but I can hold my own on somethings when it comes to computers, but this has taken the cake! Everytime one of kids screws the computer up, THEY HEAR IT!
I'm not going to put under the back wheels of my car just yet, I'll wait until I hear from them!
Hopefully Dell will have A HEART AND DO SOME PRO BONO WORK!

I got the password BUT something else came up

So I get the password this morning for Zero Dollars. I get in but now it says

Primary Hard Disk 0 not found-No bootable devices F1 F2
F1 does nothing. F2 did allow me to change the date and time.
I pulled out the hard-drive and put back in a couple of times. Still Nothing.
Any suggestions?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

This is a common problem with Dell`s.

Take a look at this thread HERE. It may be of assistance.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I laughed until I cried

Over all those post's for passwords! I read most of them lastnight. As I said, I got the password and got in but now it won't recognize the the hard-drive? Truthfully, I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. It's been more ERROR than TRIAL?
I did put the utility cd in and got it to run. But all that has done is TESTS?

Should I trash or take it somewhere and have fixed. I really don't want to spend anymore $$ on it.I've already bought New Battery and New Wireless Card from Dell and then this happens.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back