PC component prices, including DDR4 kits, continue to fall

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Throughout the second half of 2018, we saw numerous reports claiming that PC components are slowly becoming less expensive. Now, we're finally experiencing a noticeable drop in memory prices, with consumers paying the same for DDR4 as they did during mid-2017.

Back in November, a report from DRAMeXchange, a division of TrendForce, revealed that the average contract price of 4GB DRAM modules had dropped 10.14 percent compared to the previous quarter. 8GB DRAM modules, meanwhile, had fallen by 10.29 percent.

While the report focused on bulk DDR4 shipments to PC-OEMs, we’re now seeing the trickledown effect reaching consumers. According to PCPartPicker, which gathers data from dozens of the most popular online retailers and shows historical price charts, 4x4GB DDR4-3000 kits are reaching levels not seen since the middle of 2017. And virtually all the other memory kits are experiencing the same downward trend.

It’s not just DDR4 that is falling. NAND flash prices keep decreasing, which analysts earlier this year put down to oversupply. PCPricePicker’s charts show the cost of 512GB, 1TB, and 2TB SSDs have all fallen since July 2017—a 2TB SSD has dropped in price by more than half.

Thanks to the end of the cryptomining craze, video cards are also falling back to regular price levels. With crypto such as Bitcoin no longer profitable to mine, miners are have stopped bulk buying cards and pushing up their prices.

All of this means that now is a great time to build a PC, or grab that new component you’ve been craving for ages.

All images courtesy of PCPartPicker

Permalink to story.

Typical, Just as I move out of PC gaming, low(er) prices move in.

Although I'd like to think this is cause & effect in action.

For the last two yrs greedy bastard component makers have tried to fleece people like me who have become thoroughly sick of the unjustified, ever rising prices and have decided to bail out of PC gaming in protest.

...And now those same greedy bastard component makers are going to reap what they have sown in falling sales and (much) lower profits.

My 4 almost 5 year old laptop needs to be replaced, maybe the prices for them
will come down LOL.

Yeah, computer hardware is going down while Nvidia is pushing card prices up. The 2060 will probably be a $400 card. So the 60 card of 2019 will be more than twice the price of the 60 model of 2008 (9600 GT at $180). I doubt 10 years justify this price difference. And 9600GT was pure gold back then.

Prices going down to MSRP of the day of release, some 2 years ago is not anything to applaud. When they drop to 50% of MSRP, like all of them, then I will consider, just consider buying a new PC. In the meantime I bought everyone at home a 128GB SSD for Christmas. Those are cheap as borsch, and next year when they are told to drop 10% more, I will probably buy myself a 2TB m2 for my current setup.
Anyway, I wish every PC enthusiast a Happy New Year and nVidia's and Intel's bankruptcy.

For the last two yrs greedy bastard component makers have tried to fleece people like me who have become thoroughly sick of the unjustified, ever rising prices and have decided to bail out of PC gaming in protest.

...And now those same greedy bastard component makers are going to reap what they have sown in falling sales and (much) lower profits.

PC gaming is a prosumer market, budget mainstream gaming are the consoles, ideally you probably are not a prosumer if you are hitting the roof over pricing so it's probably better and in truth lower end hardware has lower profit margins, they are not loosing sleep over the few people they were never marketing to in the first place.

Yeah, computer hardware is going down while Nvidia is pushing card prices up. The 2060 will probably be a $400 card. So the 60 card of 2019 will be more than twice the price of the 60 model of 2008 (9600 GT at $180). I doubt 10 years justify this price difference. And 9600GT was pure gold back then.

You are more than welcome to buy AMD, people who want Ray tracing will pay the extra for the compute cores and the extra large die size, also if you thing there will be a model at the 200$ and 300$ price segment you need to rethink things a bit.

PC gaming is a prosumer market, budget mainstream gaming are the consoles, ideally you probably are not a prosumer if you are hitting the roof over pricing so it's probably better and in truth lower end hardware has lower profit margins, they are not loosing sleep over the few people they were never marketing to in the first place.
Basically, Your're calling Him poor?

You are more than welcome to buy AMD, people who want Ray tracing will pay the extra for the compute cores and the extra large die size, also if you thing there will be a model at the 200$ and 300$ price segment you need to rethink things a bit.
As prooved in multiple publications, Ray Tracing is DOA, Your'not getting it with this generation of cards, whether it's $200 or $1200 card. Are You the one who acually bought into nVidia's lie and now You feel compeled to the World to justify the expense? Poor You!

On average, games don't demand much more than a Core i7, A GTX 1070, 16GB of RAM and just about any SSD with Windows 10.

But even as the equipment decreases in price, desires continue to gravitate towards newer, more expensive equipment.

An RTX Card, a Core i7 or Core i9, an SSD, and 16GB of RAM is still quite expensive.

Steamstats disagrees with you. Gtx 1050ti, 1060, 1050,750ti and mx150 most used GPUs. Most played games dota, cs, fortnite, civilization, overwatch, heartstone. Pc high end market is a niche.

But even as the equipment decreases in price, desires continue to gravitate towards newer, more expensive equipment.
Naturally as time goes by we gravitate to newer products. We do this regardless of prices. Newer products do not change the fact we are only willing to spend so much.
I know I'm hitting my limit, $2000 CAD (Canadian dollars) for a graphics card, $1800 phones, etc.
If this is the revolution, I'm staying home.

Prices going down to MSRP of the day of release, some 2 years ago is not anything to applaud. When they drop to 50% of MSRP, like all of them, then I will consider, just consider buying a new PC. In the meantime I bought everyone at home a 128GB SSD for Christmas. Those are cheap as borsch, and next year when they are told to drop 10% more, I will probably buy myself a 2TB m2 for my current setup.
Anyway, I wish every PC enthusiast a Happy New Year and nVidia's and Intel's bankruptcy.
Happy New Year to you to, Slavic with tasty ukrainian borsch:)

Basically, Your're calling Him poor?

Poor would be not affording even a gaming console, but there is a difference between people on a budget, people are capable of not being poor but not wanting to budget enough for something in particular, being a prosumer doesn't mean you are wealthy, it just means you don't mind spending cash on something in particular, the major point is if you aren't willing to spend the cash on an item you aren't the intended market.

As prooved in multiple publications, Ray Tracing is DOA, Your'not getting it with this generation of cards, whether it's $200 or $1200 card. Are You the one who acually bought into nVidia's lie and now You feel compeled to the World to justify the expense? Poor You!

You have zero idea of what you are talking about, Ray tracing has always been around and in case you don't realize 2 workstation cards at 16k price tag have replaces a $72k server system for rendering Ray traced video at an even faster rate...yeah dead whatever dude, I seriously doubt you have a clue.

You have zero idea of what you are talking about, Ray tracing has always been around and in case you don't realize 2 workstation cards at 16k price tag have replaces a $72k server system for rendering Ray traced video at an even faster rate...yeah dead whatever dude, I seriously doubt you have a clue.
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought We talked about PC gaming, console gaming, and in this context I said about real time raytracing in videogames, and suddenly, You're jumping to workstations and raytracing prepared by proffesionals for movies and such, on machines worth thousands of dollars, in some movie studio warehouse... Basically You're trolling now, after apparently loosing an argument.
RayTracing in VG is immature, too expensive for majority of consumers, therefore for game developers, and generally not ready for wide deployment. That sounds better to You?

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought We talked about PC gaming, console gaming, and in this context I said about real time raytracing in videogames, and suddenly, You're jumping to workstations and raytracing prepared by proffesionals for movies and such, on machines worth thousands of dollars, in some movie studio warehouse... Basically You're trolling now, after apparently loosing an argument.
RayTracing in VG is immature, too expensive for majority of consumers, therefore for game developers, and generally not ready for wide deployment. That sounds better to You?
I'm talking about the technology as a whole, the fact is you can Ray trace games in real time......if you can't understand the significance of that you have zero clue, also let's be clear the cores that allow Ray tracing are workstation centric cores that you find in workstation cards......so there is that. It's not a failure by any means considering sales figures so far. It's a prosumer technology currently when 7nm uvl allows for a cheaper die to be made it will be more adopted. Also I never lost the argument because there is none to be made like it or not Ray Tracing is here to stay developers are extatic about it and of youiknow anything about rendering it is the next step as in from vector to rasterization the next progression is full Ray tracing with redering techniques.

Honestly this shows how little you know plz just stop it's depressing if you want to troll head over to wccftech.

Yea, they keep dropping. Only the ram I bought for 120 some time ago is still priced higher. It is a terrible time to upgrade. I canceled my rtx 2070 order. Well first I found a place to order it without tax, but as they didnt process the order, I started doubting this purchase for the price. I carefully thought about what I play and what fps I get out of 980 4gb gtx. It just works how mr. Huang likes to say. Plus the quality is somethign Nvidia seemed to forgot to include with this series. I would like to try out a used 2070 in few years and see if it can faithfully work like used 1080ties people so love buying on ebay. I still upgraded my mobo and cpu just because I wanted customized lighting and because skylake is way too old. There was a surprisingly good improvement switching from 6600k to 9600k. The improvement was the bench in AC Odysseys. I tested it with the old cpu and mobo first. I got 30 fps average. But then with 9600 I got 40fps average! Other benches like unigine gave almost no improvements as they seem to not care about cpus at all. So yea, I chose customization over gaming improvement and just to my make rig look different.
r85uiKw.jpg

I'm talking about the technology as a whole, the fact is you can Ray trace games in real time......if you can't understand the significance of that you have zero clue, also let's be clear the cores that allow Ray tracing are workstation centric cores that you find in workstation cards......so there is that. It's not a failure by any means considering sales figures so far. It's a prosumer technology currently when 7nm uvl allows for a cheaper die to be made it will be more adopted. Also I never lost the argument because there is none to be made like it or not Ray Tracing is here to stay developers are extatic about it and of youiknow anything about rendering it is the next step as in from vector to rasterization the next progression is full Ray tracing with redering techniques.

Honestly this shows how little you know plz just stop it's depressing if you want to troll head over to wccftech.

Nocturn, all he is saying is RT is 4-5 years away from being a common feature on consumer grade cards. NV is hyping it and trying to convince people to buy $1000 cards to play games but its actually a long way from being widespread outside of existing commercial uses. At least 4 card generations. If you want to spend the extra cash to play the 5% of games that will support it, feel free.

His observation on the tech is perfectly valid, yet you are replying emotionally as if RT is your personal baby and he insulted it. Chillax man, its technology, not your ideology. You don't have to get all emotional about it.

Nocturn, all he is saying is RT is 4-5 years away from being a common feature on consumer grade cards. NV is hyping it and trying to convince people to buy $1000 cards to play games but its actually a long way from being widespread outside of existing commercial uses. At least 4 card generations. If you want to spend the extra cash to play the 5% of games that will support it, feel free.

His observation on the tech is perfectly valid, yet you are replying emotionally as if RT is your personal baby and he insulted it. Chillax man, its technology, not your ideology. You don't have to get all emotional about it.

Well I am 100% sure he said RT was DOA which is not a logical assertion, so chillax yourself, I am the one who said 4-5 years for mainstream, NVidia got it kick-started, yes it is expensive it's a massive die size with compute specific cores found in workstation class cards which if you think for 1sec NVidia would cannibalize their cash cow you are insane, logically speaking, generalized cores don't have the compute needed for rt operations, expect higher prices for a long while, besides that DLSS is the real tech here worth anything for gamers as the tensor cores can make up for AA of course the real version DLSS 2x is on the way....but as he said DOA...lol Chillax yourselves don't type unless you have a clue, you have to start the ball somewhere.....it's always at the prosumer level, if it's not for you it's not for you, but don't be ignorant just because it doesn't fit in your little box. Wait for 7nm UVL with Chiplets 2020.

Back