PC confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, forgive my English. Im not a natural speaker but still able to understand a bit of here and there. So thats out of the way, a year or so ago ive built this one computer. All of the parts were bought once ive done researched each of it (CPU, VGA, HDD, RAM and so on) in the internet. Once bought, assembled the thing, i kind of surprised when it comes alive being it was the first time ive done this kind of thing. Its smooth sailing and never have any huge problem.. that is until yesterday. I normally used my pc mainly for games, internet, dvd burning.. you know, the usual thing. But yesterday, I didnt do any of that except listening podcast using JetAudio while malwarebyte and avg scanning my hard drives. In the middle of this, the computer shut itself off. I thought that was weird. Trying to shut it on again but to no avail. It just dead. No fans, nothing. Panicked, Ive opened the case and tried to troubleshoot the problem. Pushing the OnOff switch, the fan does spin but its just like half second.No light comes from the fan from the front (the one near hard disk) either. Im started to scratching my head. Cant believe just what happened. The motherboard LED is on though. Seems normal (or is it?). This board (MSI P7n) doesnt have beeping feature which complicate things. Ive tried everything, replacing ram, one by one, slot by slot, still nothing. I dont think its a graphic card problem since it doesnt said "no signal" in the monitor. Hard disk? hardly. DVD drive? Sound Card? maybe not. CPU or PSU? Probably. Disconnect the 6 pin(?) that powers the cpu, shut it on, it worked (Any fans that connected to psu molex). Shut it off, turn it on again, its dead again. Weird. Disconnect everything, taking the psu out, shorting the green and black wire, the fan on the psu is spinning but the LED from the back (one that indicates power) is sometimes on but mostly not. My god, what the hell is going on? I am not a tech savvy by any means. I just dont understand all of this. I dont want to lug this thing to a shop and ripped off by technician there (to be honest these guys are bunch of thieves and so businessminded - not so trustworthy according to my paranoid brain). Before im overcharged for something not even broken, i want to be clear. So this is what i want to ask you guys here: Which part of the component here is dead? CPU? PSU? or the whole thing..? LOL.

To be clear, hardware is the following--
CPU - Intel Q6600
RAM - OCZ 4GB (2x2GB)
MB - MSI P7n Zilent
VGA - xfx 8800GT
Audio - SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
HDD - Seagate 7200.11 SD15 (im aware this problematic brand, but i used it more than a year...so )
DVD - 1.ASUS DVDRW 2.Aopen DVD
Fans x3(coolermaster) x1(unknown brand but has LED. I dont like it :p)
CASE - CM690
PSU - Coolermaster m520 (modular)

Please, man. HELP!!! This is driving me INSANE!

Hi DX,
it initially sounds like the PSU. I notice that your PSU is modular, have you gone through and checked all of the connectors yet to make sure they are secure? also make sure that the wall outlet(and or power strip/surge protector) you are plugged into hasn't gone dead,or something dumb like that (don't laugh...i have seen it happen):p;) if not, do you by chance have another PSU you can try?

Hi all, thanks for the replies. Ill try the NO POST TUTORIAL (good stuff :)). red1776, i dont have any spare PSU, or neither anyone in my household (they all use notebooks). I even typed this on an old ACER Laptop. Thats why im panicked at first because i dont have a spare PSU to test any malfunctioning hardware. WinXPert, the fan doesnt spin continously but for just a briefest moment. It sort of move after on switch is pushed. I dont know if that would helped to diagnose the problem but better than nothing, right? :)

Anyways, after my last post ive tested the psu using green/black shorting trick, connect any spare fans i have that was lying around all over the place to the psu's molex. Surprisingly the fans worked. But this time the LED on the back of the PSU isnt on at all. The fans on the psu is spinning. And ive just noticed how silent the PSU is, or maybe it wasnt powering on something big. Is this a good or a bad sign? I begin to wonder if my CPU is dead.. man that would be totally sucked. That was the most expensive component (along with the Graphic card of course). I dont mind replacing PSU, but seems like it can power the fans on itself and other ones, looks like a slim chance. Maybe it doesnt have enough juice (fried maybe?) to power the CPU and rest of the motherboard? Gee, i hope that would be the case. Until then, the aforementioned NO POST Tutorial is things i have to keep in mind.

p/s: by the way.. winXpert, what do you mean by CPU going thermal?. Is that a bad thing? I dont know what do you meant by this and not that im lazy to google it but this computer seems impossible to multitab because it too slow (I mean it literally, this laptop sucked major balls! It harddrive is like a ticking bomb waiting to explode, and im sure it infested with rootkits/virus and whatnots!)

CPU going thermal?

Overheating. There is a setting in the BIOS that shuts down your system when the CPU reaches a certain temperature to prevent further damage.

there is also one that will not let the computer post if there is no CPU fan detected.

Eesh.. that sound nasty. Is that means my cpu is melting or something? -- What i dont get is that this thing comes without any warning or whatsoever.. I mean i barely touch the computer when it happens. Well, i guess running AVG and Malwarebyte scanning any unwanted things in your computer simultaneously probably too much for the cpu.. despite it having 4 cores and all :p.. I do have air coditioner in my room but it doesnt on at the time. Maybe overheating is one possible answer to the problem. Damn, better start saving money! LOL

Actually, if you still have the original Invoice, Intel should replace the CPU for you if it Overheated and burned out. If I remember correctly, Intel has a standard 3-Yr Warranty. The PSU could be a problem also. (Just like Red said.)

(The PSU has 57A on the +12V Rails, That should be more than enough tho.)

Also, I'm not too sure about what the Intel Warranty Coverage is limited to.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-009862.htm

Here is the Intel Warranty Information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back