PC crashes when copying large files to external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, there...
I have several network drives connected to my system. One of them has 8 dynamic drives (8TB) connected to each other as one whole.
When I copy to the above mentioned drive (or rather drag and drop) a folder with the very large files inside (total size is between 1.5 or 2 to 4.5 GB) my system crashes.
Attached is a zipped file with Minidump files.

There is an image file as well that I took using my cell after I followed the instruction to change the registry a bit. Overall --> It didn't work (Although I WAS able to copy 5-6 files before the crash, but at the same time I saw the difference how the system was slower than usually)...

The interesting thing is that the crashes don't happen all the time. I can transfer several files, one at the time without any problem at all. But after copying like 4-5 or 6 the system crashes...

I have been analyzing the Mini Dump files for quite a while already but without obvious success...

I hope somebody would be kind enough to discuss the problem with me...
Please, feel free to post any questions you may want to ask me...

P.S. System: Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Hewlett-Packard
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.86 GB of RAM
(Well, there are actually 4 sticks of Memory, each 1GB --> So, totally 4GB of RAM)

States it is a memory issue, which I don't doubt with 4 Gig of Ram on Xp
Also at one stage System Restore was running when you were copying the files, it just fell over in a clump.

I'd suggest you remove 2 of the 1 Gigs of Ram
Adjust your pagefile to say ~ approx 2000 Min and max (even that's a lot)
(This is done in System control panel applet- then Advanced- top Settings-Advanced-Change)

Also probably a good idea to either turn off System Restore (your choice) or at least remove the old (or recently) created restore points:
Clear system restore points

• Clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
    • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
    • Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
    • Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
    • Select the More options tab
    • Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.
    This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

If all else fails, try Memtest (for 7 Passes)

Thank you, kimsland, for your quick reply...
I will do my best to follow your instructions...

I just wanted to let you know that I got a feeling too that it has something to do with memory. And here is why:

The following are the specs for my system provided by HP (when I first bought my computer) -
Memory Installed - 1GB (2 x 512)
Maximum allowed - 4.0 GB (4 x 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 512MB DIMMs (*Actual available memory may be less)
Speed supported - PC3200 MB/sec
Type - 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
DIMM slots - Four
Open DIMM slots - Two

And this is what I have right now after I upgraded my system's memory in 2005 using crucial.com web site. I purchased the memory sticks from them after I had my system scanned using their web site (I am looking at a scan result right now ):

Currently installed memory - 4 (1GB) DDR PC2-5200
There is also a small note:
(Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-4200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot)

As far as adjusting my system's pagefile to be around 2 MB for min and max - currently it is under System managed size (not Custom size), which is - 2935 MB.
It is still too high, right?

I will perform the rest of your instructions after I change the pagefile size...

Once again, thank you so much for your reply...

It is still too high, right?
It's a matter of playing around with different Min and Max settings
Usually between 800Meg to 2500Meg (Min and Max the same)
Until you get the best one

Picky, Picky, XP Can Be......

This is sort of my anecdotal 2 cents, XP will supply only 2 GB of RAM to any one program. Apparently it tells a program differently that it's out of RAM, (not allowed any more), when it hit's the 2GB wall than it does when it's sharing RAM with the program and it and the OS are both contained under the 2GB "umbrella". With 3 GB installed on one of my machines, Nero would return an "out of memory", I pulled 1GB and no more coasters.

I had thought that the swap file was supposed to be 1 to 1 1/2 times the installed RAM. Yes, no, maybe?

munjashkin said:
Hi, there...
I have several network drives connected to my system. One of them has 8 dynamic drives (8TB) connected to each other as one whole.
When I copy to the above mentioned drive (or rather drag and drop) a folder with the very large files inside (total size is between 1.5 or 2 to 4.5 GB) my system crashes.
Attached is a zipped file with Minidump files.

There is an image file as well that I took using my cell after I followed the instruction to change the registry a bit. Overall --> It didn't work (Although I WAS able to copy 5-6 files before the crash, but at the same time I saw the difference how the system was slower than usually)...

The interesting thing is that the crashes don't happen all the time. I can transfer several files, one at the time without any problem at all. But after copying like 4-5 or 6 the system crashes...

I have been analyzing the Mini Dump files for quite a while already but without obvious success...

I hope somebody would be kind enough to discuss the problem with me...
Please, feel free to post any questions you may want to ask me...

P.S. System: Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Hewlett-Packard
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.86 GB of RAM
(Well, there are actually 4 sticks of Memory, each 1GB --> So, totally 4GB of RAM)

Do you have Windows XP Pro SP2 box, can you run the same test with 1GB of RAM and see what happens. I had major issues transfering files with MCE 2005 SP2 and I see you're using SP3. Could be a problem with SP3. When you had SP2 did you have the same issue?

As far as I remember, (and I just installed Service Pack 3 recently - I would say 8-9 days ago) the system was giving me the SAME problem with Service Pack 2.

And once again - it doesn't crashes right away, only after transferring 4-5 or 6 folders with the really big files inside (between 1.5-4.35 GB). And it doesn't matter if I transfer from the desktop of my computer or from another external hard drive (Maxtor One Touch III Turbo Edition 1.5 TB) to a PARTICULAR external Eight (8) FireWire800 Hard Drive Enclosure (eBOX-F -- 8 TB).

Another PC crash after copying a big file to external HDD

It is 6:16 pm, and I just happened to experience another system crash after transferring a folder with 4.35 GB file inside.
Attached is a MiniDump file, and I have seen this kind of response somewhere and it is stating "memory_corruption" distinctively.
The current pagefile size is 2 GB.

It is 6:47 pm and the same folder with the same file got transferred to the same external hard drive WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM AT ALL...

I will try to use memtest to see if it gives me any additional info...

munjashkin said:
It is 6:16 pm, and I just happened to experience another system crash after transferring a folder with 4.35 GB file inside.
Attached is a MiniDump file, and I have seen this kind of response somewhere and it is stating "memory_corruption" distinctively.
The current pagefile size is 2 GB.

It is 6:47 pm and the same folder with the same file got transferred to the same external hard drive WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM AT ALL...

I will try to use memtest to see if it gives me any additional info...

Change the Page file to 4096/4096 and use another HDD other than C. What's running on the BOX? MCE you said so are you moving media files from these external drives. Open up a Windows Task Manager for Performance and keep on eye on Threads an available memory.

Memory is corrupt then change it out? If you still have the problem then OS is corrupted. Have you check the event logs what they for system?

Hi, there...
Change the pagefile to that much high??? No, no, no... there must be something else...

I have been using different external HDD's as well as my PC in order to test the problem when I copy really big files to a certain external HDD - eBOX-F(a bunch of dynamic drives connected to each other as a master and slave and in turn connected to my PC using 1394B connection). Every time - approximately 1 out of 5 - that causes my PC to crash.

Nothing is running on the BOX (as tipstir said) - it is a simple storage for my media files (video, music) and other archive files.

taskmgr and computer management are always checked by me for any possible hints...

By the way, I just finished running Memtest86+v.2.01 (it is a brand new version), ran it for almost 10 hours, PASSED not 7 --> 11 TIMES - still NO ERROR (see attached image file).

Tonight (rather overnight), I am planning to run Windows Memory Diagnostic
(http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp) as much intensively as possible.

I would love to get to the bottom of this problem, it has been bothering me for quite a while already.

But WHAT is really concerning me is the following post:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65114.html
the one that says --> "use the proper type for the proper system" regarding the memory upgrade.

My PC'c memory upgrade seems to me is way too much advanced if I may say so:

The following are the specs for my system provided by HP (when I first bought my computer) -
Memory Installed - 1GB (2 x 512)
Maximum allowed - 4.0 GB (4 x 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 512MB DIMMs (*Actual available memory may be less)
Speed supported - PC3200 MB/sec
Type - 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
DIMM slots - Four
Open DIMM slots - Two

And this is what I have right now after I upgraded my system's memory in 2005 using crucial.com web site. I purchased the memory sticks from them after I had my system scanned using their web site (I am looking at a scan result right now ):

Currently installed memory - 4 (1GB) DDR PC2-5200
There is also a small note:
(Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-4200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot)

Any discussions, guys, regarding that matter?
I still have 2 512MB memory sticks that I received with my PC and my next plan is to remove 4 1 GB and install 2 512 MB temporarily and see what happens when I copy files again...

Thanks in advance

It is 4:20 pm. I just finished running the extended test using Windows Memory Diagnostic Utility from Microsoft (as a matter of fact, I ran it twice - see attached Image file) - still NO ERRORS.

Unbelievable...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back