PC fails first boot but ok after power cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a strange fault that's driving me crazy. First thing in the morning when I turn the PC on via the front power button it powers up, but I get no display. Hitting reset does nothing. Holding the power button on and forcing the system to power down, then hitting power again gives me the same result - no display.

If I toggle the power on & off via the rear switch on the supply itself, the system boots ok. From this point I cannot get the system to fail again and all runs well until the next morning. Then the same thing again. The only way I can get the system to boot first thing in the morning is to power up via the front power button, turn it off at the power supply (i.e. open cct the mains supply) then hit the front power button again.

The system consists of an Athlon 64 3000 + skt 754, Gigabyte k8VM800M (all in one) mobo, 512MB Corsair value select DDR 400, Segate 120GB SATA 1 drive, Liteon DVD ROM & DVDRW, Enlight 300W supply.

I have changed the supply with an Antec 400W - still no good. I have removed all power & data cables from all drives leaving just the CPU, RAM & integrated graphics - still no good. I swapped the RAM - still no good. I changed the Mobo with a new identical model - still no good. The only original part left is the CPU. (Which I have no spare available). I have flashed the Bios on both Mobo's to the latest (F8) still the same.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be most grateful.

Thanks for the reply Tedstar,

I have already changed the power supply and the fault has remained. If the PC case power button were faulty the system would not power up. I'm convinced it's not a power supply or power button problem, but thanks any way. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Do you turn off your computer in the evening?

Try playing around with the power management settings in the BIOS. Disable the thing altogether or starters - modern OS do not need the BIOS to manage power.

Thanks Nodsu,

Yes I turn the computer off in the evening, via the normal Windows procedure, but I don't remove power from the tower itself, so the power supply & Mobo would be "live".

I already have the power management settings disabled in BIOS so it can't be that.

I tried the system again this morning and I notice when I boot up the HDD light comes on and stays on, and as usual no display. Togle power from the power supply, hit the power button on the front and all is well!

Sooooo Frustrating!! Please, if any one else has any ideas i'd really appreciate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back