pc game emulator idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesmartidiot

hey at my school i see people playing gameboy advance games with some "emulator" is what they call it.

i spend 4 hours in a computer class and half the time the net dosent work, so i ask this

is there such an emulator i could use to run, lets say, a simcity 4 image rom (from my gamesxcopy, ps i own the game) in an emulator of some sort?

cause i want the game to play in its own, small lol window.
but mainly the system is pretty tight and you have to have an admin password to install anything, so i want it to run of an emulator from my portable usb flash/hdd. is anything like this possible?

i always finish my work real fast and i never have anything to do lol so it would be nice to see if such a program exists.

blaino

There is.. and you can, and it depends on what platform the game is in. Most of these are self sufficient (eg, you can run it off say a USB key).

although it is bordering very closely to something that i don't know if i can talk about it or not here (being chicken and playing it safe :p). All that i can tell you is to use google to find out or ask your friends :) and experiment.

Oh yeh.. one word of advice.. don't bring games into the same place as you work/study. It can ruin your life if your not careful (and your studies). Been there done that.

soo your saying that this is under the hacking catagory?
i guess ill do it at home, cause i dont want expelled lol.
the platform would be pc right?

not really hacking.

The thing is with emulators and playing your own games is that there's two sides to the story (namely copyright of the actual game, so it refers to the actual "copying" of the dump file or the rom) and that there's no set rule on the matter of it being legal or not, although you owning the game may let it be legal (using the 1 backup copy rule in the US i guess? don't know).

But for your classroom, or wherever you wish to use this is that you have to look at the rules. I remember when i was at school that there was some rule of not running unauthorized programs or something (not that it stopped the guys anyways :p), which may get you in trouble at class, so check it first.

There are emulators which don't require installation to make it work (usually just comes as a .zip file and you run the standalone player) so technically you're not installing it on anything, just running it from your flash drive, hence no need for admin, so not really hacking, but it depends on what your teach will say.
The drawback of some emulators, especially with the Playstation kind is that you have to find the bits of the puzzle to make it work, and it takes a while, even if you know where to look.

What platform is the game on?

why i've said to not bring games into your workspace is that it gets increasingly distracting.. better leave it for some leisure time or home :)

the platform the games supposed to be on is windows xp?

my techer is friendly and knows my crap is done so she wouldnt mind

but you bring up psx emulators, which made me remember wen i mess with them a year or so ago. and i remember they sucked, like only 1 frame or less per second lol.

is that how a xp emulator would work?

i tried googleing xp emulator for xp (which i guess is retarted) since all that comes up is xp on mac. but if i could run like, a live windows (like live ubuntu) inside a window running on the schools xp using its resourses but no hard disc space or anything that requires admin.

my friend here says to go home, install the game onto my hard drive, then run the game off it by still using the cd.

but id prefer not to forget my 40 dollar game in a public machine, where my game would last about 4 minutes until someone swaps it lol.

ooo.... you're talking about running a windows emulator?? i was thinking you were talking about console emulators like gameboys, nintendo's and the such... :D

i haven't heard of much of those emulators, and mostly are for other platforms to be able to use windows based software (WINE on linux, parallels etc) and even vmware (virtual machine software) need to be installed into the machine for it to work, then an OS to be loaded onto it etc...

in that case, the only real chance of playing a game without installation is to install the game onto your USB drive (or wherever) and see if it will play without the CD (or change a few files here) or if you can play it on another PC just off the drive without getting much errors..

theres always a chance, and like your friend tells you, experiment.

back until 321 was shut down, i used games x copy to create images of my games. what kind of software does that now?

im thinkin of installing the game onto a folder, and link the game to a "virtual drive" within my hard drive.. and have the game image mounted in it. maybe if i partition my hard drive, so then windows sees wdpassport J:\ and lets say gameimage k:\

i dunno if i can partition it without emptying it first, which wouldnt be possible, since both of my 250s are full and my internal disk only has 80 gigs out of 200 left lol.

yeh.. i heard gamexcopy/321 got "burned down" because of the fact people weren't using it right and yeh.. there are still others (can't remember names) that will do this type of things as well..

i'm not familiar with the whole virtual console thing so i'm afraid i'll have to leave it to someone else to fill the void :(

here i filled in some blanks

i have the sims 2 iso file in a foler on the wd passport

now

i used slysoft image ... thing i forget what its called, and it worked on my machine where i installed it, but i need a virtual drive within my wd passport. how would i do that >?

(i installed the slysoft crap under the wdpassport)

This conversation is really borderline to warezing so I think we'll stop it before it crosses the line.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back