PC gamers choose Witcher 3 as their favorite title

midian182

Staff member

It seems PC fans -- myself included -- agree with PC Gamer's recent top 100 list: The Witcher 3 is the best game you can play right now. The publication asked its readers to vote for their favorite titles and added the results to its own list, which was put together by editors and contributors.

Participants picked two games from the Top 100 and recommended two others that didn’t appear. The list would then be reordered based on reader selections, and games with the fewest votes were replaced with the most popular new suggestions.

While there were some significant differences, the amazing Witcher 3: Wild Hunt retained its number one position, and while PC Gamer put the evergreen Half-Life 2 in the number 11 spot, readers boosted it up to second place. On the subject of CD Projekt Red’s classic, make sure to check out this heartfelt Witcher 3 10th anniversary video.

Another game that fans still love is the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The epic RPG was the magazine’s 26th best game, but the revamped list saw it move up to third.

Some titles appearing on the reader’s list that weren’t in the original included League of Legends at 18 (Dota 2 fell from 54 to 73), Fallout 2 at 11, and Borderlands 2 taking fifth place. Both Life is Strange and Rimworld also made the new version.

A notable name to drop off PC Gamer's list was Spelunky. Its tenth-best game didn’t even make the readers’ top 100. You can check out a direct comparison of the lists on this spreadsheet. Also as a side note, here's TechSpot's shortlist of 10 PC games you should play -- last updated in March it's due for an update next month.

Meanwhile, here’s the readers’ top 20 (entries not on PC Gamer's list are in bold):

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

2. Half-Life 2

3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

4. Dark Souls

5. Borderlands 2

6. Fallout: New Vegas

7. Mass Effect 2

8. Doom (2016)

9. BioShock

10. Doom 2

11. Fallout 2

12. Deus Ex

13. Portal 2

14. Life is Strange

15. Starcraft

16. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

17. Grand Theft Auto 5

18. League of Legends

19. Diablo 2

20. XCOM 2

Permalink to story.

Doesn't surprise me. The Witcher 3 is a phenomenal game. The character development, story, and gameplay is absolutely unprecedented. It's one game that still makes me tear up upon replaying it - you feel a huge range of emotions while playing. Joy, sadness, anger...

The Witcher 3 is one game I'm happy to call a work of art, and CD Projekt Red is a fantastic company. Very respectful of their fans, and just good all around people. I'm excited to see what they have in store for us with Cyberpunk 2077 - if it's even half as good as the Witcher 3, it'll set a new standard for video games for years to come.

Is Witcher 3 a game like Fallout where you walk around and have to remember 1000 things?

Witcher3???? Curse that wretched game...it ruined every other game for me. It's like going to the amusement park and riding the biggest, fastest roller coaster first...everything else is meh after that.

Very poor RPG in comparison to Zelda BOTW.

W3 is over long,way too many tedious cut scenes with superfluous, padded out dialogue, very poor combat mechanics & an unfriendly and non instinctive UI.

After 65hrs of it I just couldn't take it any more and left it, I'd reached the point where all I wanted to do, during yet another tedious cut scene, was to spam the 'skip scene' button, I knew it was then time to stop.

Zelda, on the other hand, everyone of the 135hrs it took me to finish the game was an absolute joy.

..but the graphics in W3 are pretty, so I suppose non of that matters to PC gamers trying to justify to themselves the absurdity of spending $500+ on a GPU.

Zelda in comparison is very much a case of quality over quantity and never outstays it's welcome.

Last edited:
I expect PUBG to be on the list and rising unless it's excluded for not technically being a full release yet.

W3 is over long,way too many tedious cut scenes with superfluous, padded out dialogue, very poor combat mechanics & an unfriendly and non instinctive UI.

After 65hrs of it I just couldn't take it any more and left it, I'd reached the point where all I wanted to do, during yet another tedious cut scene, was to spam the 'skip scene' button, I knew it was then time to stop.

Zelda, on the other hand, everyone of the 135hrs it took me to finish the game was an absolute joy.

..but the graphics in W3 are pretty, so I suppose non of that matters to PC gamers trying to justify to themselves the absurdity of spending $500+ on a GPU.

Zelda in comparison is very much a case of quality over quantity and never outstays it's welcome.
Lmao this reminded of someone I knew that didn't like the witcher 3 because of morality choices. You know they updated a lot of the stuff you complained about.

Lmao "overlong", I've never seen anyone complain that a game has too much content.

From what I have seen of BOTW the fight mechanics is just link spinning in circles with whatever weapon until he runs out of stamina.

I still run the Witcher 3 on just about max settings with a gtx 970.

30Fps on console hurts my eyes though so you should try it on PC instead. Dont need a super gpu either, your console is just that severly underpowered that you think the game must need a monster card.

Fallout 3 and GTA are best to me, also agree with mass effect 2 and HL2 and starcraft of course but wither 3 to be best? nah

Thats what I expect of the kind of people that paid so much to get that console and then later on still have only this one game on it that is actually noteworthy.

That being said its a 6/10. Oh wait actually considering the awful graphics and pathetic performance its a 3/10. But you know, since every reviewer fears that Nintendo will blacklist them and the Nintendo fans will burn them on a stake they give it a 9/10 and still get harassed for not giving it a 10.

A "poor" RPG for having a long story lol yeah lets take Zelda the game where the main protagonist doesn't say anything at all and most of the dialogue is bleh for kids.

What got the Witcher 3 up there is mainly because its an adult game.

A "poor" RPG for having a long story lol yeah lets take Zelda the game where the main protagonist doesn't say anything at all and most of the dialogue is bleh for kids.

And I find the segregation between adult and kid in games appalling. Both kids and adults live in the same home. There shouldn't be a classification for adult. Because you know as well as I do, there is no way to prevent child viewing.

And I find the segregation between adult and kid in games appalling. Both kids and adults live in the same home. There shouldn't be a classification for adult. Because you know as well as I do, there is no way to prevent child viewing.

The 90's with Carmageddon and Duke3D called, they want their topic back.

2 Live Crew - Banned In The U.S.A. from the 80s also left a note about there being music for adults and movies for adults and books for adults and places to go for adults.

Hey the Amish can do it maybe they can give you hints about how to prevent kids from getting in contact with The Witcher 3. Me however, heh, next to the Commander Keen folder was DOOM so.......

Of all the things in my post you picked that to quote and reply to?

Seriously now, just send your kid to bed and play the game on your pc with your account in your room. There, child viewing successfully prevented.

Seriously now, just send your kid to bed and play the game on your pc with your account in your room. There, child viewing successfully prevented.
I will prefer to allow them to see anything I'm willing to play/view.

As far as what I quoted. If you didn't want it up from debate, you shouldn't have mentioned it.

I find the lack of Battlefield 2,3 or 4 and Call of Duty MW or MW 2 hypocritical from this list. It's trending to hate these games, but everyone who is into gaming, PC or console has played and enjoyed one of these titles.

I find the lack of Battlefield 2,3 or 4 and Call of Duty MW or MW 2 hypocritical from this list. It's trending to hate these games, but everyone who is into gaming, PC or console has played and enjoyed one of these titles.
True, they should've added at least one of those games cause if you played one of them you played all of them. Especially COD.

I've discussed the Witcher 3 with people in both camps - those who love it, and those who hate it.

I've found that the people who love the game often love it because they are invested in the world. The characters feel believable, and they are able to fully immerse themselves in the world. Because games like this are a bit on the rare side, many of us are willing to overlook some of its issues.

Conversely, I had an intense (But civil) debate with one individual who criticized it for its controls and clunky combat mechanics, neither of which I could disagree with - but, fortunately, CD Projekt Red has since mostly solved those issues with their alternate control system (Which makes Geralt turn instantly, rather than after a tank-like delay). Still, there's no accounting for taste.

There are plenty of people who feel it's too long, has too much dialogue, or too much content to get through. It comes down to individual opinion, no need for hostility. Noone is wrong for disliking that stuff, it simply means it's not the RPG for them. Personally, I adore both BoTW and TW3, and think they are both excellent games from both an objective (overall quality/production values) and subjective (what I like/dislike) perspective.

But I don't think either game is perfect, and the bugs/issues that both games have might grate on some more than others. For example, I really don't like BoTW's weapon durability system, and the constant FPS drops drive me nuts. Other people love the durability system for the challenge it adds, and can overlook the FPS problems. To each their own.

Ar those bad games? Not at all. In fact, they're all great games, it's just that the ones on the list are still better.

I have well over 5000 hours in CoD4 MW, but Fallout: New Vegas is still my favorite game. NV is one of those games I still play through at least once a year.

Mass Effect 2... Overrated piece of crap.
Mass Effect is one of my favorite series of all time, but ME2 is not the best one

No Life Is Strange? PC gamers are disappointing.

Back