Pc goes into award bios instead of windows/fans below threshold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently turned on my pc and it went straight to the award bios instead of windows desktop. It was on the advanced tab. In the middle of the screen was a square that said in it: "manual" and below it, it said "2400". To the right, there's a message that says something about me having to choose the cpu speed due to a new cpu being installed. But I haven't installed anything.

In order for me to work on my pc, I have to select either "manual" or "2400", exit and save changes. Then the pc works fine. But I have to do this every single time I power up my pc. I also noticed the date and time are incorrect in windows and bios. Went to bios and adjusted both. No luck. Did a system restore-no luck.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
specs: Windows XP Pro/asus p4pe-x mb/2.4ghz p4/1gb ddr 333 ram/80gb maxtor hd and 60gb western digital hd.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Sounds like you may have a dead cmos battery. Replace it and see if that helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

asus probe says fans below threshold

Man, that was a fast reply! I'll try that. Any possible negative outcomes of me changing the cmos battery Howard?

Left this out of my previous post: Asus probe signals that my fans are below threshold. Will replacing battery fix that as well?
Thanks,
Tony

Once you`ve changed the cmos battery, you will need to go into your bios and reset some stuff. You`ll certainly need to reset the date and time. That`s because taking the cmos battery out will tend to reset the bios to the default settings.

Regards Howard :)

Howard, I think I forgot to mention that my asus probe monitoring software is telling me that my fans are below threshold. Do you think changing the battery will fix that as well?

Thanks,
Tony

No, changing the battery won`t fix that problem.

You can download the speedfan programme from HERE. See if it gives you the same results.

If it does, then you should consider getting a new fan.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks Howard

I changed the cmos battery and problem solved. I still have the fans under threshold warning from asus probe software, but I'll deal with that later.

Thanks for your help Howard! And thanks to Tech Spot for this forum. It's nice to know that there are unselfish people out there willing to share their talents. God bless all!

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back