PC running slowly - am I infected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. My PC is seems to be running slowly and it takes a long time to start up. I run McAfee Security Center and Webroot SpySweeper and neither of their scans show and viruses or spyware on my system, however, occasionally SpySweeper tells me that it has found a Trojan.gen

I believe my PC is infected as I ran it without protection for a few months.

Please can someone have a look at my HJT log and tell me if it shows anything suspicious.

Thanks in advance

Toby.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    11 KB · Views: 6
antispyware "real-time" program(s) !?

Hi :

General security Principles is to have ONLY 1 antiSPYWARE program provide
"real-time" protection . Info from the HijackThis log implies you DEFINITELY have
Windows Defender and Webroot's SpySweeper "running" plus you have McAfee's
"Security Center" ( which has an antiSPYWARE "component" running ) with an
unnecessary "Service" from Ad-Aware ( doing "What" I do not know ) .

IF you are going to keep that McAfee "program", you should uninstall the Other
3 . Personally, I do NOT like security "Suites" and feel you would be a lot better
off using a good & FREE antiVIRUS program like Avast Home Edition ( www.avast.com ) "layered" with antiSPYWARE/antiTROJAN program(s) like the
FREE Ver of "SUPERAntiSpyware" from www.superantispyware.com and/or the
FREE Ver of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware along with SpywareBlaster from
www.javacoolsoftware.com . Then have a software firewall, such as the Free
Zone Alarm to constitute the "core" of your security .

P.S. Since your Operating System is Win XP SP3, I recommend you "disable"
"Windows Defender" since it is impossible to "Uninstall" it .

Thanks for responding. I uninstalled McAfee and AdAware, and I disabled SpySweeper, but I can't seem to get rid of Windows Defender.

I followed your link to the other thread and followed the instructions given. I have attached my new log files, however, the MalwareBytes one is too large to upload (it's 160k)

Thanks again

Edit: You mentioned that I should only have one program giving real time protection, does this include having windows firewall running alongside a realtime antivirus / antispyware protection?

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    8.3 KB · Views: 5
Don't worry about windows defender - its ok

you need to have 1 active anti-virus, you also should have a 3rd party firewall which you may have one included with your Anti virus. But windows firewall does not protect against outgoing connections there are some free alternatives

Firewalls
Here are some firewalls which are free for personal use and most commonly used:
Comodo <-Vista Compatible
Zonealarm <-Vista Compatible I recommend this one for you

I need to see the MBAM log -> can you email it to me by clicking my name here - and put your name in the subject line.

I have removed spy sweeper and McAfee, and I have installed Zone Alarm and Avira instead. I will send you the log for MBAM.

Cheers, Toby

Edit: It won't let me send you an email, as I have less than 20 posts, so I have uploaded the log to media fire.

www*.mediafire.*com/?sharekey=2f21cb9035065c7fd2db6fb9a8902bda

(I have had to kill the link as it won't let me post one yet)

you are looking better - how is your computer running - still a few left overs we can clean up easily

We are going to look a little deeper - I need you to disable norton before running this

Combofix
  • Download Combofix to your desktop.
  • Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • A window will open with a warning.
  • When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log.
Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop. Combofix is a very powerful tool so please do NOT do anything without instruction

Combofix will automatically save the log file to C:\combofix.txt

f_Logo1m_7c1b64d.png
Run Kaspersky Online AV Scanner

In order to use it you have to use Internet Explorer.
Go to Kaspersky and click the Accept button at the end of the page.

Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license accepted, reset to 100%.
  • Read the Requirements and limitations before you click Accept.
  • Allow the ActiveX download if necessary.
  • Once the database has downloaded, click Next.
  • Click on "My Computer"
  • When the scan has completed, click Save Report As...
  • Enter a name for the file in the Filename: text box and then click the down arrow to the right of Save as type: and select text file (*.txt)
  • Click Save - by default the file will be saved to your Desktop, but you can change this if you wish.
Attach the report into your next reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back