Not open for further replies.

Cucumber

My current system specs are:

-Athlon-T.Bird1.33(OC @ 1.47)
-512mb PC133
-Vivid!XS(Kyro 2)
-Creative Live! 5.1
-DVD Rom

I have now saved up enough money to go out and buy a GeForce4 Ti.4600, and im pretty sure i want to get it! But not 100% sure, i want to know if its worth the money? or whether there is anything different i should get with my £260 ($400)???

Any suggestions??

Thanks;)

Well, I basically have the same machine as you but I have a GF3 and I am starting to itch to get the GF4. My "excuse" is that I have an 18" LCD monitor that needs to run at 1280x1024. So at that high of a resolution, 4X AA is pretty much useless on the newer games. I think it is a good investment and I usually do so once a year..

The choice is yours..I think your computer is fast enough that it doesnt need anything else and that you would see a big benefit from a new video card.

Re: Re: PC upgrade

Originally posted by young&wild
The card can be a good long term investment.

It may be, but don't forget that once the next gen card comes out, the price of the current GF4 will drop significantly. And knowing nVidia, that won't be long till it happens thanks to their ultra efficient product lineup.

Anyway, I have an AXP1600+ and a (cough, cough) GF2MX. I'm thinking of getting a GF3Ti200 right now coz I see that's a value for money. It's just way too expensive getting the latest and fastest gfx card in the market.

Originally posted by Cucumber
My current system specs are:
I have now saved up enough money to go out and buy a GeForce4 Ti.4600, and im pretty sure i want to get it! But not 100% sure, i want to know if its worth the money? or whether there is anything different i should get with my £260 ($400)???

I was going to ask where in the UK you were getting that price but then I remembered your thread saying you are off to the states... Since one of the sites I buy hardware from has my GF3 priced at £240 I think thats a price that you can't pass up. Nvidia have ensured that they have the king of video cards at the moment with this release beating the previous king.... The ATI 8500 (although the GF3Ti500 is a close competitor).

When I do an upgrade I generally try and get one that will last. Thats why I bought my Asus v8200 Geforce 3 Pure for £300 about 8 months ago. I plan to wait until I can't run new games at a decent resolution anymore (1024 and above). Then I will change. Or if some huge leap in technology occurs (AGP 8x and new 8x cards that have wonderful technology that only works with AGP 8x... then I will upgrade my rig).

Go for it. With the new AA technology in the GF4 I don't think you will regret it... ;)

Check out this discussion in another thread about whether the 4600 card is value for money....

Cheers Lads, i think ill just go and get it!!!! To hell with it, all my money will be gone and my bank balance will read:
£0.17
But hey ill have a better 3Dmark than ALL of my mates:D

Post yer scores here dude! Now let's see how long the GF4 will hold up till the next one comes along :D

Re: Re: Re: PC upgrade

Originally posted by lokem

It's just way too expensive getting the latest and fastest gfx card in the market.

You're right. There's no point getting the the fastest card in the market when you are not ultilising it 100%(eg. Video editing).

Cheers Lads, i think ill just go and get it!!!! To hell with it, all my money will be gone and my bank balance will read:
£0.17

3Dmark doesn't matter...
Its the gaming performance that matters.
I really love my GF3 for having stunning looking graphics in games and not for its 3dmark...

BTW What monitor will you be hooking this up to?
If your going to run 1024 max resolution then you could do that with a lesser card (GF3, ATI 8500 or lesser) with all the nice graphics switched on.
With the GF4 though you can at a later date always switch to a bigger monitor that supports larger resolutions a better refresh rates (flicker free). Just a last minute thought :blush:

I'm going to be running it through a 17" Panasonic monitor with max resolution of 1280x1040! Enough?

I was only joking bout the 3Dmark being the only reason to get it!:D

I'm going to be running it through a 17" Panasonic monitor with max resolution of 1280x1040! Enough?

I was only joking bout the 3Dmark being the only reason to get it!:D

That would be plenty enough! Hopefully this time the CPU won't be the bottleneck! I'm really interested in knowing how well the GF4 will scale with the AXPs...

I'll post 3Dmark scores as soon as i get them!!

I get back from the US on the 12th of April, you lot will be the first to know how it runs:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back