PC will not power on but mobo leds work

pristine159

Hey, so I was playing a game earlier today and suddenly PC just turned off. No warnings or anything just shut off. Usually, when this happens, I just have to readjust the MOBo power connected. I did it this time but it won’t boot when I press the button and jump starting it doesn’t work. I’ve tried the PSU fan fest but nothing is working so I think it’s my PSU, but I also am not sure if my paper clips are metallic since they are colored. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

both my mouse and keyboard

It may not be the powersupply but you should test it anyway, check inside the plug to be sure the contacts are there.

If you can grab a flashlight, check the pins in the motherboard to be sure they're upright. You can straighten those with needle-nose pliers if you see one or more is folded over...work slow and careful.

Check the rating on the PSU's label then add up the components to see if it's possibly overloaded.
CPU = ? watts
Motherboard = ~15w
Graphics = ?w --- and so on.

If you have a power demanding graphics card , say 150 watts and 130w CPU it might hit 400 watts peak, that might overload a 400+ watt power supply.

If this isn't a power supply issue you may be looking at the motherboard, CPU, or other major component replacement.

It may not be the powersupply but you should test it anyway, check inside the plug to be sure the contacts are there.

If you can grab a flashlight, check the pins in the motherboard to be sure they're upright. You can straighten those with needle-nose pliers if you see one or more is folded over...work slow and careful.

Check the rating on the PSU's label then add up the components to see if it's possibly overloaded.
CPU = ? watts
Motherboard = ~15w
Graphics = ?w --- and so on.

If you have a power demanding graphics card , say 150 watts and 130w CPU it might hit 400 watts peak, that might overload a 400+ watt power supply.

If this isn't a power supply issue you may be looking at the motherboard, CPU, or other major component replacement.
what pins should I be checking for? Also the power supply had worked for this computer for a year now with no issue, just the occasional power disconnect that requires me to readjust the motherboard pin plug.

what pins should I be checking for?

Click here - scroll to ATX 24 pin main power cable, study the pictures.

Just make sure the contacts are THERE and are straight enough to make good contact when they're plugged.

Also the power supply had worked for this computer for a year now with no issue, just the occasional power disconnect that requires me to readjust the motherboard pin plug.

What caused you to think there was something wrong with that connection?
Something must have prompted you to 'readjust' it, an occasional disconnect has few causes, loose connectors are at the top.

DIY troubleshooting is a process of elimination that goes stepwise -> from the most likely part -> to the next - and so on.

Just make sure the contacts are THERE and are straight enough to make good contact when they're plugged.

Something must have prompted you to 'readjust' it, an occasional disconnect has few causes, loose connectors are at the top.

DIY troubleshooting is a process of elimination that goes stepwise -> from the most likely part -> to the next - and so on.
yep I tried to clean out my PC at first. Wouldn’t it make sense that the connection is working if my peripherals and motherboard LEDs might yo? If I don’t connect that extra little 4 pin on my PC my mobo still lights up. I will take a look.

Yep it’s a connection with the main 24 pin. Thank you so much!

Back