Pentium 4 cpu fan does not power down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently put together a pc with a Intel (Prescott) P4 2.8 GHZ chip, Asus P4P800 mobo, Nvidia Geforce 4600 and a 420watt Raidmax case. Windows Xp is installed. The pc shutdowns and restarts normally except the cpu fan continues to spin after Windows XP is shutdown. The power supply has a powerswitch. If I turn off the power supply switch and power back on, the cpu fan starts to run but the video does not come up. I have shutoff the powersupply, clear the bios and poweron the powersupply. When that is done, then the pc boots up, Windows XP works. If the power supply is not turned off, I can boot into Windows XP, restart, shutdown etc. But in each case, the cpu fan continues to spin after powerdown. Is this normal for the fan to continue to spin for a P4?
any suggestions? Sorry for being so wordy

That's totally bizzarre.

My guess would be either your PSU or motherborard is to blame, but that's not based on any experiences with your problem

Check that all the small cables from your PC's frontpanel (like Power/Reset/Speaker etc) are connected correctly.
Also check the Power Option Properties in BIOS and XP.

Other than that, like Rick said, duff PSU most likely.

Both of you were right. PSU (Power Supply Unit) was the problem.

changed the power supply, now the pc shutdowns completely.
Pretty frustrating to find out it was the PSU since the case is new.

Thanks for the help

Yes those cheap ones that come with the case are good-for-nothing alot of the times...and if they do work, eventually they'll blow out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back