Permissions issue moving files from external HDD

So my old laptop monitor stopped working. The hard drive still functions fine. I attached a SATA to USB adaptor from the old drive to my new laptop. At first it connected fine and the drive was displayed as E: (system as D: etc.). However when I attempted to access my profile folder (where all my files are) on the old drive, I was asked for permission. I clicked continue and for a few minutes the new laptop was reading the old drive's folder. Suddenly it denied permission. After that, the old drive would no longer appear in my computer. It only appears for approx. 10 seconds when I connect the old drive to USB (even during this short time it won't allow me to get into to properties and change security settings for the folders).

Any assistance on getting around this issue I.e. how to make the old drive visible again and change the security settings to allow permission, would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

You need to Take Ownership of the old drive - - but access is required to do that too.

I understand that you can change ownership in properties > security settings of the relevant folder however the main issue at this stage is getting the drive to show up in my computer..

Ok so I tried a different computer and can now see the drive. However access is denied when I try to access files in the old HDD. I managed to get around this somewhat by 'sharing' and can view the files within folders but it still denies access when I try to move any files from the old to new HDDs. Have tried amending security options but wouldn't allow me to take ownership or mark myself (new computer) as 'owner'. Have even tried command prompt and icacls etc. but no luck there...

If the hard drive is from a laptop that is 7 years old or older, chances are very likely that the hard drive has simply failed. No ownership permission attempts on folders/files will work if that's the case. I would recommend you test your hard drive with a free hard drive testing software such as here: http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

If the drive comes back failed after testing, you will need to consider sending it out to professional data recovery which starts at $500 these days. If the data on that drive is irreplaceable such as tax returns or family photo archives or similar, and worth that much to you, that's your last resort.

p.s. failed hard drives can mimic problems with copying files from driver to drive, permission failures, etc. Bottom-line, no software on the planet can fix failed hardware!

Hope this proves helpful to you.

PCTEACHER05

Back