PewDiePie becomes first solo YouTube creator to hit 100 million subscribers

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Most people know who Felix ‘PewDiePie’ Kjellberg is, even if they aren’t fans. Now, the YouTube star has become the first solo creator to reach 100 million subscribers on the platform—a milestone that was somewhat surprisingly celebrated by YouTube itself.

PewDiePie wasn’t the first to hit the 100 million mark, that honor went to rival channel T-Series. The two accounts had been in a long-running battle to reach the milestone, leading to the ‘subscribe to PewDiePie’ meme. But the Indian record label and film production company got their first back in May.

When it comes to individual creators, PewDiePie is way ahead of the pack. He currently boasts 100.3 million subscribers. Sitting behind him in the number three position is 5-Minute Crafts, which has 60 million subscribers.

YouTube tweeted an acknowledgment of the achievement. "Married to marziapie. Revived our love of Minecraft. Reached 100 million subscribers on YouTube. What a month to celebrate and congratulate PewDiePie," the company wrote.

YouTube’s tweet comes as something of a surprise, given PewDiePie’s controversial past. Back in 2017, he was accused of anti-Semitism after he paid men on Fiverr to hold a sign that read “Death to All Jews,” and used a racial slur during one of his livestreams, the latter of which led to Firewatch developer Sean Vanaman filing a DMCA takedown in response. The ‘Subscribe to PewDiePie’ meme also brought him controversy and was used in the livestream of the Christchurch, New Zealand, shooter. He later called for the campaign to end.

Forbes writes that PewDiePie earned $15.5 million last year, a time when he had 72.5 million subscribers. He seems to have been focusing mainly on his gaming videos in recent months, with most of his work being Minecraft content. Microsoft will probably be thankful of the renewed attention he’s brought to the ten-year-old game, especially with ray tracing support on the way.

Permalink to story.

Absolutely deserved.

Why does this article focus more on the poor attempts of the media to tarnish him instead of his work?

He had probably said millions of profanity words on his videos, but he said 2 insulting words without any probe of past racist way of act or thinking (in thousands of minutes of video) and you have a racist for the masses.

He had probably said millions of profanity words on his videos, but he said 2 insulting words without any probe of past racist way of act or thinking (in thousands of minutes of video) and you have a racist for the masses.

But its ok for Jay-Z to use the word due to "reasons" I guess?

Absolutely deserved.

Why does this article focus more on the poor attempts of the media to tarnish him instead of his work?
Most journalists are part of a community of people that live with their heads up their ***, and virtue signal. Once you understand that, you understand how it works.

LOL .... his work? You call that trash work? Geeezzzeeee ...... no wonder the entertainment industry is on the ropes!

The industry as we know it may be on the ropes but he clearly isn't. It's good enough content to draw in an audience of 100 million people and over 23 billion views. But hey, let me know when you can pull that off if you know so much about the entertainment industry and what people want.

LOL .... his work? You call that trash work? Geeezzzeeee ...... no wonder the entertainment industry is on the ropes!
Jealous much? He creates content. Its work whether or not you think it is. Sorry you're not interesting enough to attract 100 million people to your platform, whatever your platform is.

ROFLMAO ..... I made my first million while you were still in diapers, junior. And well over 100 million people have passed through many of my projects .... and what did you say your successful achievement was? burger flipper at McD's?

ROFLMAO ..... I made my first million while you were still in diapers, junior. And well over 100 million people have passed through many of my projects .... and what did you say your successful achievement was? burger flipper at McD's?

Ah yes, cause nothing screams maturity and class like bringing up someones age. Congrats on potentially? making millions. I find it a little hard to believe but benefit of the doubt. Assuming I was "still in diapers" while you made your first million I wanna congratulate you on somehow becoming such a self righteous person. There's a difference as well between having someone pass through a project and having someone actually care enough to follow your work. If we're going based on people passing through, like I said before he's got over 23 billion views. And, while I could have been a bit more tactful I suppose credit where credit is due. While I don't work at McD's I would love to know why you feel the need to put down those who work to make minimum wage in the work force? I can't say I know you personally you could be a great person, but at least based on this interaction you seem like someone fairly self righteous and judgemental.

Jealous much? He creates content. Its work whether or not you think it is. Sorry you're not interesting enough to attract 100 million people to your platform, whatever your platform is.

Ah jeez, Al. Just let them be content with who they are.

But on topic of pewds, some of the stuff really isn't that bad, Al. Yeah he gets kinda over the top sometimes but he's grown and matured more. I like the stuff he makes because he speaks a sensible mind, it's not usually just blindly biased and he will cover multiple sides of a topic.

As far as the entertainment industry on the ropes, who tf said that? Yall see how much GTA V takes in?

And THAT my friends, goes to show you how screwed up society is.
Hey, if he figured out a way to make THAT much money, buy doing "youtube" videos is one thing,
hope he puts it away and save it, unlike a lot of (cr)rappers do and blow it on bling, tattoos, guns,
booze, drugs and women.
I grew up BEFORE youtube, the internet, cellphones & smartphones. TV was 3 or 4 channels, you
had to GET UP and change the channel, and, they went off the air around midnight and came back
on around 5:30am.
I guess it is a generational thing...I do not get the fascination with "subscribing to" and watching
someone play video games or anything else on twitter, fakebook, snapchat, instagram, youtube
or that other crap, but, one man's junk, is another man's treasure I guess.

I have no beef with PDP making his millions, just as long as he spends it and keeps the economy running. For all the people who complain that it's not "real" work, I'll point to the fact that some days, all I do for my job is press buttons and answer the phone.

You know, the ridiculous job that George Jetson had in the 1960s cartoon where he'd be all worn out pushing a button all day. Yeah, that throwaway joke is reality today.

And THAT my friends, goes to show you how screwed up society is.
Hey, if he figured out a way to make THAT much money, buy doing "youtube" videos is one thing,
hope he puts it away and save it, unlike a lot of (cr)rappers do and blow it on bling, tattoos, guns,
booze, drugs and women.
I grew up BEFORE youtube, the internet, cellphones & smartphones. TV was 3 or 4 channels, you
had to GET UP and change the channel, and, they went off the air around midnight and came back
on around 5:30am.
I guess it is a generational thing...I do not get the fascination with "subscribing to" and watching
someone play video games or anything else on twitter, fakebook, snapchat, instagram, youtube
or that other crap, but, one man's junk, is another man's treasure I guess.
What's the other thing?

He just got married and has had money for quite a few years now. Seeing a lot of warblewarble being typed over there.
A lot of people can't stand traditional highly scripted television so they choose what they want to watch besides just whatever happens to be on ch2, ch4, ch5, ch9 and ch41 between 5am and 11pm or midnight on the weekends.

What a weird thing to assume; guns, drugs, bling, tattoos and women? He often does charity streams. The world ain't that bad old geezer.

Wow. Aren't you just too cool for school.

Wow. Aren't you just too cool for school.

Yes, after completing my PhD in Advanced Theoretical Physics I have been called very cool .... especially by the younger people that have worked for me over the years .... thank you for the recognition!

Back